Options

ISP address

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Might be the wrong bit. But is there anyway you can find out an IP address from a video from Facebook.
My Facebook friend is getting harassed my someone by post ing videos. Police have said if she gets a ip adress of the person they can do something. Help

Comments

• Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    This might work. It has the IP address if you scroll down the result page. Depending on the video address it might only find the Facebook domain server IP rather than the sub-domain the video is in, so check carefully when you get the result. Has your friend told Facebook and if so will they release the IP address to her? http://www.siteinformation.co.uk/
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see a way to get the IP. The video is probably hosted on Facebook so you'll just get its IP. If the video is hosted elsewhere, its unlikely to be on the individuals PC but on some file sharing server somewhere. Pretty lame of the police to give your friend an impossible task
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would there be any way of tracing the IP whilst you were watching the video?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Would there be any way of tracing the IP whilst you were watching the video?

But the video is sitting on a server somewhere... either facebook or some other file sharing business. It has doesn't hold any IP info of where it was created.

Get the lazy cops to see if facebook will release the IP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, how are you today, irishguy? The things we do in the middle of the night!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    So, how are you today, irishguy? The things we do in the middle of the night!

About to crash actually.... been working out how my new windows phone works.... not a bad wee device. Yourself?

Just thinking if the video is a live chat feed then it will be routed through facebook so no good to you.

Anyway, if this guy has any sense hes hiding his IP so even if facebook do give you it, its likely to lead to some proxy server somewhere
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't she just change her privacy settings like a normal person would? :confused:
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Can't see a way to get the IP. The video is probably hosted on Facebook so you'll just get its IP. If the video is hosted elsewhere, its unlikely to be on the individuals PC but on some file sharing server somewhere. Pretty lame of the police to give your friend an impossible task

Especially as they have the tools and the power to do something about it. Methinks you got hold of a lazy cop.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Especially as they have the tools and the power to do something about it. Methinks you got hold of a lazy cop.

Or one that might have better things to do with their time than sort out Facebook squabbles? :confused:
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends entirely on what the OP means by :
    My Facebook friend is getting harassed my someone by post ing videos

I thought the essence of harrassment was acts which someone did to you, personally.

All the friend has to do, surely, is not go to that particular facebook page.