Options

Guardianista Laughs At Death of Gap Year Students

Comments

• Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bewildered as to why she would post what she did. It wasn't even an attempt at humour, it just seemed to be pointless.

She even says it makes her a bad person when she first posts it, so why post it knowing?

I think there is a misguided trend growing where some people think to say something mean or shocking is funny. (Or perhaps it has always been there and we like it less.)
  • Options
    Cult of Z-ListCult of Z-List Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member
    DanClegg wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see people's reaction if it was an occasional Daily Mail writer making a similar comment about working class kids.

I'm sure the phrases " typical Tory scum", "knuckle dragging", "Daily Fail/Heil/Hate (pick one)", "disgusting", "typical of the middle class attitude towards the so-called chavs", and "it's all the bankers fault" will be liberally sprinkled amongst the slavering outrage and naval gazing introspection.
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And just in case there's any doubt as to just how insufferable she is, *this* was her last article.

There is a direct correlation between this article and her loathsome comments, imo, and you certainly don't need a MENSA certification to see it.

How can someone so pwetty and bwainy as me not already be fabulously wealthy/respected/successful ? :cry:
    Why, it must be the fault of all those dweadful white middle class types and their fwightful children. I hope they all die so as to stop discwiminating against me and I can learn to smile again. :)
  • Options
    I Trust in God.I Trust in God. Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a direct correlation between this article and her loathsome comments, imo, and you certainly don't need a MENSA certification to see it.

How can someone so pwetty and bwainy as me not already be fabulously wealthy/respected/successful ? :cry:
    Why, it must be the fault of all those dweadful white middle class types and their fwightful children. I hope they all die so as to stop discwiminating against me and I can learn to smile again. :)

Typical Guardian readers! Also goes for Independent readers too and the journalists of both papers especially Johann Hari!
  • Options
    currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian=Left-wing bog roll.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    She's just a horrible cow.
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    Jayceef1 wrote: »
    Imagine the outcry if a white person had said "I actually smiled when I saw they had middle eastern surnames"

Absolutely shocking

And I can guarantee she is hoping her surname protects her from most of the very justified opprobrium heading her way.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geeg wrote: »
    She even says it makes her a bad person when she first posts it, so why post it knowing?

I think there is a misguided trend growing where some people think to say something mean or shocking is funny. (Or perhaps it has always been there and we like it less.)
    I think it's just saying what she's thinking. Seems pretty much the norm on Twitter and the like
  • Options
    nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    oh for goodness sake. isn't twitter the place for banal ill-advised comments?

the internet gives a voice to the voiceless; but it doesn't give a clue to the clueless.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    I think you should be more annoyed about what she actually tweeted rather than the context in which it was presented ;)
    My very first words were "she's an idiot". For thinking it, let alone tweeting it.

Now we've established that, let's get to back to Guido who seems to have problems with the truth - so when did she laugh?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Those offending tweets have now been removed so I cannot see what she said but the story is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/8610904/Writer-Kia-Abdullah-mocks-death-of-gap-year-students-on-Twitter.html

It is a profoundly ignorant and cruel thing to do to mock the deaths of young people who are loved by their families and friends. At the very least she deserves to be forced to issue a full public apology and to be formally disciplined by bringing her employers into disrepute.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Those offending tweets have now been removed so I cannot see what she said but the story is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/8610904/Writer-Kia-Abdullah-mocks-death-of-gap-year-students-on-Twitter.html

It is a profoundly ignorant and cruel thing to do to mock the deaths of young people who are loved by their families and friends. At the very least she deserves to be forced to issue a full public apology and to be formally disciplined by bringing her employers into disrepute.

She is freelance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Most un-classy. Oh dear. Silly cow.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    She is freelance

Then to go and say something like this is doubly stupid if she's freelance as she's now tarnished her reputation. Who'll hire here now? Mucho estupido! doh!
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    My very first words were "she's an idiot". For thinking it, let alone tweeting it.

Now we've established that, let's get to back to Guido who seems to have problems with the truth - so when did she laugh?

This was the second tweet.

"I actually smiled when I saw that they had double-barrelled surnames. Sociopathic?"

Smiling is a sign that one finds something amusing isn't it?
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    And I can guarantee she is hoping her surname protects her from most of the very justified opprobrium heading her way.

I am sure that's true as well.

People like Kia Abdullah use their background as a shield so that they can say exactly what they like to insult and hurt people.

What a vile and nasty racist.

As Kia Abdullah is freelance, she probably doesn't have an employer as such, however, I hope that the Guardian never use her again.

I also hope that this follows her around for a very long time and finds it very hard to get any writing work.

Kia Abdullah should visit the parents of those killed and apologise to them in person.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe any newspaper would publish that pile of self promoting egotistical crap.

............................... Without a free sick bag. :(
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when The Grauniad used to a be a decent paper, its views differed from mine but it was still a quality paper that I enjoyed reading. These days it's the left answer to the Daily Mail with CIF full of people who make those who comment on Daily Mail stories appear normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I remember when The Grauniad used to a be a decent paper, its views differed from mine but it was still a quality paper that I enjoyed reading. These days it's the left answer to the Daily Mail with CIF full of people who make those who comment on Daily Mail stories appear normal.

Of course, as we all know, this story has nothing to do with the Guardian. Last time she wrote for them was 14 months ago, and the comments she made were on twitter. So what's it to do with the Guardian?
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, as we all know, this story has nothing to do with the Guardian. Last time she wrote for them was 14 months ago, and the comments she made were on twitter. So what's it to do with the Guardian?

What she has said is sadly typical of what goes on over at CIF all to often, does her 14 month absence change the level of unpleasantness over there?
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What she has said is sadly typical of what goes on over at CIF all to often, does her 14 month absence change the level of unpleasantness over there?

What does CIF mean ?
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a foul piece of work. There's something a tad ropey in her functioning to think for one second that she could have gotten away with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have read some pretty ropey things on CIF through the years, but this story has absolutely nothing to do with the Guardian. This woman is freelance.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the term is "distancing themselves". ;)J

But the distance already exists! She's a freelancer who has written for CIF. And hasn't done for a long time. And posted her assholery in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPHERE than CIF.

Christ, even as an occasional Guardian reader (by which I mean I only occasionally buy a paper, but when I do it's generally the Guardian) I know there are many things it can be criticised for- but to criticise it for some assholery that someone who wrote some shit for it a year ago has now posted on Twittter seems to be a little f*cking petty, really.