Hello Quo

CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe it's a repeat but quite enjoyable.
Good to see the orignal members back playing.

As usual in these lurid tales of success and excess there is the customary and unceremonious ritual of the dumping of the original bass player, a lot of bands do it, Wyman from the Stones, Cornick from Tull, Glover from Purple, Lane from The Faces and poor wee Alan Lancaster from Quo. Is there something about bass players ?

I had to stifle a laugh when Weller thought Quo's original members playing and touring one last time was a great idea yet steadfastly refuses to even consider a Jam reunion. He has not spoken to Buckler or Foxton since 1983.

Comments

• Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    As usual in these lurid tales of success and excess there is the customary and unceremonious ritual of the dumping of the original bass player, a lot of bands do it, Wyman from the Stones, Cornick from Tull, Glover from Purple, Lane from The Faces and poor wee Alan Lancaster from Quo. Is there something about bass players ?
    I didn't know Wyman was "dumped" from the Stones. I thought he left of his own accord.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few Spinal Tap moments, especially the reunion at the end. Liked it when Rossi was remarking how similar two of his songs were (just two???), "But at least I copy from myself":D

Not a Quo fan myself. Good first album but downhill from then onwards.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know Wyman was "dumped" from the Stones. I thought he left of his own accord.

Yes, you are correct, he retired from the band in 1993.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Maybe it's a repeat but quite enjoyable.
    Good to see the orignal members back playing.

I had to stifle a laugh when Weller thought Quo's original members playing and touring one last time was a great idea yet steadfastly refuses to even consider a Jam reunion. He has not spoken to Buckler or Foxton since 1983.

Glover was a replacement for the original bass player Nick Simper. Whilst Ronnie Lane quit the Faces as he did not want to be Rod's backing band. Also his MS has started showing itself.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    It was essentially a stripped down version of the original Alan G Parker documentary (released in 2012). The running time of the BBC version was about half the length of the original documentary, which is available on DVD and Blu-ray with even more material:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Quo-Hello-Access-Edition/dp/B008XIXX0A/
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stripped down version was plenty long enough for me.
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Not a Quo fan myself. Good first album but downhill from then onwards.
    Really? I'd have thought their best stuff was done in the run of albums from Piledriver (1972) to Blue For You (1976).
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I'd have thought their best stuff was done in the run of albums from Piledriver (1972) to Blue For You (1976).

Indeed Picturesque Matchstikable Messages From The Status Quo, (what a mouthful) (1968) Is ok as albums go but the golden era is from Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon (1970) to Blue For You (1976).