BT to raise their prices AGAIN!

13»

Comments

• Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have BT Line Rental Saver £129 one off payment, equivalent to £10.75 per month:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29984
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »

I don't understand it says broadband is £13 plus line rental on the BT website but on the price change list option 1 is £18.85
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Quite a number of housing estates, especially those built in the late 60's early 70's will have an system called DLI (Direct Lead In) whereby the feed cable to the property was not put in a duct but buried directly in the ground, as were the 'main' cables outside on the pavement, so no ducts, not able to pull fibre in to the property, not sure whether BT are using overhead fibre cable, but if not then that is another problem.
    Good point, so another major expense, especially if pavements and driveways have to be dug up
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member

Those prices look like out of contract prices. You can get BT BB1 with eve and weekend calls for 18 months at £13, the first 6 months are free.

I'd be shocked if a new customer or an existing customer who recontracted ended up paying that price for BB1
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Do you have a link showing that only a few are interested in FTTC ? That is not the case with anyone I know who has had the option to upgrade, they have ALL gone for it.

Nope, just what I have read over the last 12 months or so. One was something about Bt not getting the amount of people going for FTTC that they thought would.

Things may be different here as so many people got awful speeds, i think FTTC should have come here a lot quicker, it makes sense to put a faster broadband service into a city/town where speeds are low and not into a place like Cardiff where loads of people got Cable.

A mate of mine who lives almost on top of the exchange is thinking if it is worth the extra cost fro FTTC because he gets about 16 megabits, the only reason he is thinking about fibre is because as I have said before the cables that supply his area are so bad and he have had so many problems, that he thinks fibre would solve them, which it should.

My one next door neighbour is saying about going for it, he got 4 in the house using the net and only able to get 2.5 megabits with BT, so makes sense, my other next door neighbour don't even know what it is and I doubt they will pay the extra.

But there are so many people I chat to that are happy with what they got and see no reason to change. probably a good job really, because people that want to change can, i expect these cabs can only take on a certain number of people.

As time goes on, the word gets out I presume people will change, well the ones that got awful speed anyway, but I do know of a couple of people that have decided to go the way I have and go wireless.
    The service have improved over the last few weeks as they updated their bandwidth, I must admit I was a bit fed up with the inconsistent speeds, but now all is fine I can now go up too ten megabits, which will do what I want.

I still don't see the need for 30megabits or more for most people
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Nope, just what I have read over the last 12 months or so. One was something about Bt not getting the amount of people going for FTTC that they thought would.

Things may be different here as so many people got awful speeds, i think FTTC should have come here a lot quicker, it makes sense to put a faster broadband service into a city/town where speeds are low and not into a place like Cardiff where loads of people got Cable.

A mate of mine who lives almost on top of the exchange is thinking if it is worth the extra cost fro FTTC because he gets about 16 megabits, the only reason he is thinking about fibre is because as I have said before the cables that supply his area are so bad and he have had so many problems, that he thinks fibre would solve them, which it should.

My one next door neighbour is saying about going for it, he got 4 in the house using the net and only able to get 2.5 megabits with BT, so makes sense, my other next door neighbour don't even know what it is and I doubt they will pay the extra.

But there are so many people I chat to that are happy with what they got and see no reason to change. probably a good job really, because people that want to change can, i expect these cabs can only take on a certain number of people.

As time goes on, the word gets out I presume people will change, well the ones that got awful speed anyway, but I do know of a couple of people that have decided to go the way I have and go wireless.
    The service have improved over the last few weeks as they updated their bandwidth, I must admit I was a bit fed up with the inconsistent speeds, but now all is fine I can now go up too ten megabits, which will do what I want.

I still don't see the need for 30megabits or more for most people

BIB, well a one fibre in a fibre optic telephone cable can handle 40,000 simultaneous calls, so presume the capacity of an FTTC Cab will be similar.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely if you're in a contract, you can leave?

I signed up to Anytime calls and Unlimited Broadband in November 2011, and this will be the 2nd price increase.

They must surely give you a chance now to leave and go elsewhere? This will mean I'm paying £46 a month for Line rental, Anytime calls, and Unlimited Broadband!

Although I'm moaning, I should point out that since joining BT, I haven't looked back. No problems with speed - always get maximum speed all the time, no drop outs, and have had the fastest speed I've ever had on ADSL+2 with a provider before (5mb), so I doubt I'd leave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Surely if you're in a contract, you can leave?

I signed up to Anytime calls and Unlimited Broadband in November 2011, and this will be the 2nd price increase.

They must surely give you a chance now to leave and go elsewhere? This will mean I'm paying £46 a month for Line rental, Anytime calls, and Unlimited Broadband!

Although I'm moaning, I should point out that since joining BT, I haven't looked back. No problems with speed - always get maximum speed all the time, no drop outs, and have had the fastest speed I've ever had on ADSL+2 with a provider before (5mb), so I doubt I'd leave.

Think you may find that BT can increase their prices without breaking their contract with you,

This is from a mobile contract.

It’s understandable really – if you signed up to a contract, whether 12 or 18 months, your expectation would be that the £25 or so monthly price would stay static. Not so, mobile companies have a clause in their T&Cs that allows them to increase contract prices on a yearly basis as long as they’re under the rate of inflation (retail prices index).

And when we’ve questioned the regulator Ofcom on this, it has told us that the price rises are ‘not likely to be a breach of current legislation’.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,511
    Forum Member
    BIB, well a one fibre in a fibre optic telephone cable can handle 40,000 simultaneous calls, so presume the capacity of an FTTC Cab will be similar.

Most FTTC cabs have either 100 or 200 connections available in them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

That doesn't ring true to me. In some areas the cabinets are full. BT are recruiting thousands of engineers just to install fibre and are also moving other people from different parts of the company to install FTTC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    That doesn't ring true to me. In some areas the cabinets are full. BT are recruiting thousands of engineers just to install fibre and are also moving other people from different parts of the company to install FTTC.

Seems BT/Openreach are very busy installing FTTC, there must be quite a lot on interest from potential customers.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems BT/Openreach are very busy installing FTTC, there must be quite a lot on interest from potential customers.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/

Good site that, loads of detailed information for anyone who is interested in the FTTC build.
  • madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think you may find that BT can increase their prices without breaking their contract with you,

This is from a mobile contract.

It’s understandable really – if you signed up to a contract, whether 12 or 18 months, your expectation would be that the £25 or so monthly price would stay static. Not so, mobile companies have a clause in their T&Cs that allows them to increase contract prices on a yearly basis as long as they’re under the rate of inflation (retail prices index).

And when we’ve questioned the regulator Ofcom on this, it has told us that the price rises are ‘not likely to be a breach of current legislation’.

From the Bt website.

We're sorry you're are unhappy about how the price rises affect you and would rather that you stayed with BT as we believe we offer fantastic services and products. We've kept a number of our key prices frozen since December 2011 and will be freezing many of our prices again from the 5 January 2013 until 2014 at the earliest. However if you contact us directly within 10 calendar days of receiving our price change notification you may cease your services without penalty.