Ofcom slashes 0870 call costs

Comments

• timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DonnyDave wrote:
    Details of BT Standard here.

BT Standard cost £9.50 per month when paid by direct debit. This included a call allowance of £2.15. Assuming one used all the inclusive call-credit (I think most people would); then the underlying line rental is therefore £7.35.

In July 2004 BT Standard was scrapped and subscribers on it were migrated to BT Together Option 1. This package now costs £11 per month, thus the true increase was £3.65 or almost half of £7.35.

The allowance was later reduced down and certainly wasn't £2.15 in July 2004 but that is just me being pedantic.

By using the same reasoning you could agrue that the price of BT Together Option 3 has decreased by 82% since it now includes Call Mobile for free and 200 free SMS per month.
  • JaystarJaystar Posts: 4,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudge wrote:
    Which, if it's the only available number on which to contact an organisation that you have to contact, really is toothless.
    Indeed. But did you really expect anything better from the likes of OFCOM?
  • capt hangovercapt hangover Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaystar wrote:
    But did you really expect anything better from the likes of OFCOM?

Can you enlighten us more with that comment please?
  • m419m419 Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly what I expected and the change hasn't even happened yet!

Telecom providers are encouraging companies to migrate their numbers to 0871 numbers to continue revenue share.

see here: http://www.telewest.co.uk/business/research_insights/announcements/nts_ofcom_changes/how_affect.html
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a rule whereby anyone giving an 0845, 0870 or 0871 number also has to give the number required to access the service from Europe, ie 01 or 02, as 08 numbers cannot be dialled from abroad.

That way, we might see some advantage from our membership of the EEC (sorry EU).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote:
    I'd like to see a rule whereby anyone giving an 0845, 0870 or 0871 number also has to give the number required to access the service from Europe, ie 01 or 02, as 08 numbers cannot be dialled from abroad.

That way, we might see some advantage from our membership of the EEC (sorry EU).
    You can call 0845 and 0870 numbers from most countries. ;)
    Can my Non Geographic Number be dialled from abroad?

0870 and 0845 numbers may be dialled from most countries, though 0870 is the most dependable of all NGNs for ex-UK calls. If you receive calls from abroad, we would advise you to select an 0870 number in preference to an 0845 number.

0871 and 0844 numbers are closed for inbound international calls and may not be dialled from abroad.

To dial an 0870 number from abroad, simply omit the leading zero after the country code for the UK - ie +44 870 etc.
    Source: http://www.numberstore.com/faq.asp

also
    Today it is possible to access 0845 numbers from most overseas countries by having callers dial their international access code, followed by 44-845 xxx xxxx.
    Source: http://www.0845-0870.com/all_about_0845_telephone_numbers.htm
    Today it is possible to access 0870 numbers from most overseas countries by having callers dial their international access code, followed by 44-870 xxx xxxx.
    Source: http://www.0845-0870.com/all_about_0870_telephone_numbers.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can access all numbers from abroad including premium rate numbers.

However, some countries do not allow access to freephone numbers and the countries which do allow access charge for such calls.
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all 08 numbers are dial-able from abroad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can call 0845 and 0870 numbers from most countries.

Thanks for pointing that out. I stand corrected. In which case, I still think anyone giving an 08 number should also be required to give the 01 or 02 base number in addition. This would enable people to choose.

I really do think that more and more people are now beginning to realise what a con these 08 numbers are, and the more publicity we can give to them, the quicker we should be able to get rid of what I consider to be nothing more than a rip off of anybody who pays a phone bill.

Perhaps we should start getting a few MP's involved in the campaign - starting with some Labour ones as Labour use an 0870 number to call them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Not all 08 numbers are dial-able from abroad.

Well I know for a fact that:

France
    Greece(Not freephone numbers)
    Ireland
    Channel islands
    Isle of man
    USA

Do allow 0845 numbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote:
    Thanks for pointing that out. I stand corrected. In which case, I still think anyone giving an 08 number should also be required to give the 01 or 02 base number in addition. This would enable people to choose.

I really do think that more and more people are now beginning to realise what a con these 08 numbers are, and the more publicity we can give to them, the quicker we should be able to get rid of what I consider to be nothing more than a rip off of anybody who pays a phone bill.

Perhaps we should start getting a few MP's involved in the campaign - starting with some Labour ones as Labour use an 0870 number to call them.

No, they shouldn't give out the 01 or 02 numbers if they don't want to. Businesses use 0845,0870 and 0871 numbers for revenue share to fund for the staff's wages and you are paying for the customer service. Thats what business is all about.
  • DonnyDaveDonnyDave Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    m419 wrote:
    No, they shouldn't give out the 01 or 02 numbers if they don't want to. Businesses use 0845,0870 and 0871 numbers for revenue share to fund for the staff's wages and you are paying for the customer service. Thats what business is all about.
    Callers are not aware of the revenue share, thus it is deceiptful, some may consider it fraud. This seems to be what some UK businesses are about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These numbers have been out since 1995.

0345 and 0800 have been out for much longer.

So why the hell should people be still confused over these types of numbers and the prcies have been advertised for years.

And when they say 'National Rate' for 0870 numbers, consumers think it is charged at a higher rate than local calls. However this is the only thing I find mis-leading by calling it 'National Rate'

0845 and 0870 numbers were first allocated out in the mid-90's and 07 mobile numbers in 1997.

0500 to Mercury-Cable and Wireless in 1992

0345 and 0800 to BT in the late 80's

0990 was the equivalent to 0870 from BT

0541 was the equivalent to 0870 from Mercury/Cable co's

0645 was the equivalent to 0845 from Mercury/Cable co's

Ofcom has planned that the 0500 code will have ceased by 2010. Cable and Wireless,NTL,Telewest and T-Mobile stopped allocating these numbers in 1999. So its up to service providers to move customers or not.
    Forum Member
    m419 wrote:
    These numbers have been out since 1995.

0345 and 0800 have been out for much longer.

So why the hell should people be still confused over these types of numbers and the prcies have been advertised for years.
    I think your next sentence answers your own question:
    m419 wrote:
    And when they say 'National Rate' for 0870 numbers, consumers think it is charged at a higher rate than local calls. However this is the only thing I find mis-leading by calling it 'National Rate'
    The point is that the local and national rate descriptions of 0845 and 0870, respectively only applied from BT non-discounted tariffs. The fact that the charges for these numbers have remained, broadly speaking, the same whilst local and national rates have fallen is the reason that this confusion is occuring.

How can you say that a local rate is only a local rate on one particular tariff? Then when that tariff is replaced by cheaper ones for geographical numbers, the misinformation continues!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give you an example of why I object to paying for an 0870 number. I ordered and paid for a bed from Argos, and paid their standard £4.99 delivery charge. I then received a card from Argos, asking me to phone an 0870 number to CONFIRM my delivery arrangements which had already been made. I refused to do so, and sent them an email saying if the bed wasn't delivered as arranged without me ringing the 0870 number, I would consider the contract broken and would expect my money returned to me. Needless to say, the bed was delivered without having to ring the 0870 number.

This was a classic example of having someone ring an 0870 number JUST TO INCREASE THEIR REVENUE and it should be made illegal.

The more these examples are exposed, maybe the quicker these firms will stop using what can only be described as dubious business practices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you are paying for 'Customer Service'.

If it was made illegal for Argos to do this, then they will just add a administration charge onto what you've bought. Say £2 for Customer service.

Furthermore, the goverments national travel information service 'Traveline' uses 0870 to fund for the service and it would not exist without 0870 numbers since funding from private companies and UK goverment is very low.

National Rail enquiries uses 08457 and is probably totally dependent on that for revenue.

There are several companies which do not use the designated 08 numbers such as:

Orange: Which uses its own 07973 code
    Vodafone: Which uses its own 07836 code

That should be banned as they charge a lot of money for calling these numbers from a landline especially from payphones.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    m419 wrote:
    National Rail enquiries uses 08457 and is probably totally dependent on that for revenue.
    How much do you think these numbers earn? As the standard rate from a BT residential line is just 3.95p per minute peak rate (3p per minute if you are a BT Together customer) and just 1p per minute at all other times including VAT, the answer is not a lot ;)

I've no idea how much the enquiries operators are paid, but lets assume they are on minimum wage of just £5.05 per hour, that relates to 8.42p per minute alone.
    Forum Member
    m419 wrote:
    No, you are paying for 'Customer Service'.
    The thing is that Ofcom claims that 0845/0870 provide access to so-called 'value-added services'. However, when I confront a company and question them about revenue, they totally ignore that fact. So it can't be that important to them, or can it? How come the regulator says one thing and the service providers say another?
    m419 wrote:
    If it was made illegal for Argos to do this, then they will just add a administration charge onto what you've bought. Say £2 for Customer service.
    That is a simplistic view. I think that there would be other market forces that would play a part. The revenue is collected covertly, so the 'customer' isn't clearly aware that he/she is paying before and whilst he/she uses the service. Thus, the customer's decision as to whether to use the service or not won't always take into account the telephone revenue being paid.
    m419 wrote:
    There are several companies which do not use the designated 08 numbers such as:

Orange: Which uses its own 07973 code
    Vodafone: Which uses its own 07836 code

That should be banned as they charge a lot of money for calling these numbers from a landline especially from payphones.
    I quite agree with this. I think that it's highly unacceptable that Orange should be permitted to use its own mobile numbers for customer services calls. The call rates from a BT land line are higher than 0870 and even 0871, so I think that it's reasonable to assume that the 'revenue payments' are far higher than for those service providers who use 0870/1.

What's more, being that they are the [communications provider and] service provider, there is no middle-man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone and Orange will therefore be claiming the same amount of revenue as someone owning a premium rate number.

Furthermore, with regards to National rail enquiries, it is open 7 days a week and operates 24 hours. They get thousands of calls each day. A small charge to train operating companies is also charged by the Department of transport. Traveline is nationwide service which uses an 0870 number and gets thousands of calls too, they too are funded by local councils and bus operating companies such as Arriva,Metroline and First.

So I don't think the staff will be on poor wages!
    Forum Member
    m419 wrote:
    Furthermore, with regards to National rail enquiries, it is open 7 days a week and operates 24 hours. They get thousands of calls each day. A small charge to train operating companies is also charged by the Department of transport. ...
    It has been pointed out on Saynoto0870 that National Rail Enquiries actually make sure you're not calling from a UK number if you call the international geographical alternatives.

This is obviously of even further concern for those who are abroad who use VoIP services with UK (+44) phone numbers.
    m419 wrote:
    Traveline is nationwide service which uses an 0870 number and gets thousands of calls too, they too are funded by local councils and bus operating companies such as Arriva,Metroline and First.
    I understand that Traveline (0870 6082608) routes the call to local public transport offices. So my local transport executive has its own Traveline number, which is a geographical one. Thus, I assume that if I were to dial the Traveline 0870, I would be routed to the same place.
    m419 wrote:
    So I don't think the staff will be on poor wages!
    But the amount the staff get paid isn't necessarily dependant on their employer's wealth. OK, so employees of more wealthy companies may get paid better wages, but again, I think that it's niave to think that paying more results better paid staff and better products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are two payphone companies which use 070 numbers to boost their incoming revenue. They charge up to 50p per minute for incoming calls. These payphones and calling facilities are located in hospitals.

They were reported to Ofcom, however I think they should be able to charge this amount since they would not be able to survive without it.

This is why:

For just one payphone:

BT line rental: £10 (Monthly)
    Call charges: £10 (Monthly)
    Annual maintainance costs: £20

Incomming revenue from customer using coins: £15 (Outgoing calls)

Incomming revenue from payphone access charge: 80p

Total incoming amount: £0

Some landowners also require a rentage fee too.

Therefore it is necessary to charge this amount for incomming calls.

Public payphones do not currently use revenue share numbers. Spectrum Interactive and Infolines Public networks operate like this:

This is based on one public street payphone on a busy high street:

Line rental: £10.00
    Monthly call charges: £15.00
    Annual maintainance costs: £1,500
    Annual VOA(Business rates tax): up to £1,000

Incomming revenue from customers using coins annually: £240.00
    Incomming revenue from customers using credit cards annually: £2.00

Incomming revenue from payphone access charge: £500.00

Incomming revenue from advertisers: £12,000 per year.

Total income: £12,742

Total outcome: £2,750

Total profit from this particular payphone: £10,742 in one year.

Infolines public networks operates 187 street kiosks around the UK branded as Interphone, most payphones are connected to the NTL and Telewest network and cannot claim the payphone access charge.

Spectrum Interactive operates around 5,000 street kiosks in all profitable locations.

Premier managed payphones was the company which owned the Interphone street kiosks for a while and claimed that they were a total loss and were not commercially viable. It seems to me that the managed payphones on private sites are more of a loss. Premier negleted those orange interphone kiosks for a while and became in a shoddy state. In total there was 1,400 of those interphone kiosks, only 187 now remain with Infolines and the rest have been sold on to Spectrum, others have been liquidated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DonnyDave wrote:
    It has been pointed out on Saynoto0870 that National Rail Enquiries actually make sure you're not calling from a UK number if you call the international geographical alternatives.

This is obviously of even further concern for those who are abroad who use VoIP services with UK (+44) phone numbers.

I understand that Traveline (0870 6082608) routes the call to local public transport offices. So my local transport executive has its own Traveline number, which is a geographical one. Thus, I assume that if I were to dial the Traveline 0870, I would be routed to the same place.

But the amount the staff get paid isn't necessarily dependant on their employer's wealth. OK, so employees of more wealthy companies may get paid better wages, but again, I think that it's niave to think that paying more results better paid staff and better products.

There is a way around it. If you dial 100, you can ask them to put you through, I know for a fact that when you do this, the CLI shows up as 'Unavailable' or '0100'.
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [Local travel services] I don't use Travelline as it's an 0870 number, I use the Centro travel hotline as they use an 0121 number.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the local one for London too which 7222-1234. It can't be used for travel outside London though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m419 wrote:
    There is a way around it. If you dial 100, you can ask them to put you through, I know for a fact that when you do this, the CLI shows up as 'Unavailable' or '0100'.

Then get stung for an operator-connected call.....