O2 concerned that people think 4G is impacting 3G coverage

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Right, but if you look over at the Vodafone forums, you'll see many people in the same situation as you with sudden dropped calls and 0.1Mbps speeds spread all over the country over many years. It happens randomly in dozens, if not hundreds of places every day in places both with and without 4G.

There have been many cases, but not going on for over 3 months though when it had been perfectly fine up until then.

You must admit that it's a bit of a coensidence?

Even if it's not the 4G effecting it directly sounds like something must have happened with the upgrade.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been many cases, but not going on for over 3 months though when it had been perfectly fine up until then.

Even if it's not the 4G effecting it directly sounds like something must have happened with the upgrade.

Either that or the old infrastructure of Vodafone is finally collapsing which is a big possibility as well. Lot of there stuff hasn't been upgraded in nearly a decade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Either that or the old infrastructure of Vodafone is finally collapsing which is a big possibility as well. Lot of there stuff hasn't been upgraded in nearly a decade.

Could be although it was rather sudden and not gradual (not like it could not come with demand) .
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Can defo get more than 10mb on Vodafone 3G when on a 4G plan. I had nearly 15mb in Manchester recently.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really, I've seen several cases going on over 6 months both with and without previous issues ("perfectly fine up until then")

Then again, the universe existing is a bit of a coincidence.
    ]quote]Even if it's not the 4G effecting it directly sounds like something must have happened with the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, or maybe it's the lack of upgrade.

The only really shared bit between the 4G and 3G networks that can affect local areas individually is the masts' backhaul. And Sodafone like to boast about being the only network to own their own national fibre backhaul network so it can't be that terrible :cool:

Maybe you should try reporting it as a fault, perhaps that's the issue - far too many people not reporting faults and just going "Oh it must be 4G" instead. Incidentally having just checked, all 3 masts serving my address had issues recently - one is still down, one degraded, one fixed last week, and we don't even have 4G here yet (just one week to go, though the masts were actually switched on a month ago)
  • Options
    danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Vodafone are capping all customers on non 4G Ready/Red plans to 10Mbps

And 4G plans! i got/had one and it was surely capped.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're capping all customers on 4G plans how on earth is everyone else getting 15Mbps+
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, I'm on 3 and regularly get 15-25mb speeds on 3G.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    danielmeah wrote: »
    And 4G plans! i got/had one and it was surely capped.

Nope. Only non 4G ready plans are capped.

If you're on a 4G ready plan then you can exceed 10Mbps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Not really, I've seen several cases going on over 6 months both with and without previous issues ("perfectly fine up until then")

Then again, the universe existing is a bit of a coincidence.
    ]quote]Even if it's not the 4G effecting it directly sounds like something must have happened with the upgrade.

Maybe, or maybe it's the lack of upgrade.

The only really shared bit between the 4G and 3G networks that can affect local areas individually is the masts' backhaul. And Sodafone like to boast about being the only network to own their own national fibre backhaul network so it can't be that terrible :cool:

Maybe you should try reporting it as a fault, perhaps that's the issue - far too many people not reporting faults and just going "Oh it must be 4G" instead. Incidentally having just checked, all 3 masts serving my address had issues recently - one is still down, one degraded, one fixed last week, and we don't even have 4G here yet (just one week to go, though the masts were actually switched on a month ago)[/QUOTE]

I didn't say I haven't reported it.

I've reported it with Vodafone over the phone and also on their forum nearly 3 months ago and they have been absolutely shite and have not sorted it and are now asking for all the details again when I've already supplied them.

They could have caused any problem when they did an upgrade even like damaging a cable on a 3G mast whilst putting in the new 4G one.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    left O2 for t mobile 18 months ago, not looked back,. 2G.. whats that???? :D:D seriously if you are looking for good 3G internet coverage EE is the way to go :)

look for yourself in north wales; corwen, bala dollgelleau, bala, llangollen, ruthin, ffestiniog, betws y coed, denbigh, list goes on....and on...on............... :yawn::yawn:

O2/voda where are you?!?!?!?!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope. Only non 4G ready plans are capped.

If you're on a 4G ready plan then you can exceed 10Mbps.

Well i must be the only one then. when switched into 3G mode it never exceeds 10Mbps (wherever i go) but switch it over to LTE and i see 30-40Mbps)
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i must be the only one then. when switched into 3G mode it never exceeds 10Mbps (wherever i go) but switch it over to LTE and i see 30-40Mbps)

Interesting they certainly capping people that is definitely true but the people who are getting capped doesn't seem standardized.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Interesting they certainly capping people that is definitely true but the people who are getting capped doesn't seem standardized.

While it is capped. (although some people here disgaree) you always get that 10Mbps. Evening, mIddle of night or morning. all the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's certainly a weird one. Based on Voda's traffic management policy it's only 3G tariffs that are capped and 4G tariffs that are uncapped. may want to talk to voda about that.

What's the name of the plan that you're on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's certainly a weird one. Based on Voda's traffic management policy it's only 3G tariffs that are capped and 4G tariffs that are uncapped. may want to talk to voda about that.

What's the name of the plan that you're on?

It's the Vodafone Red 4G Ready £26 SIM Only. Only got it few weeks back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That certainly goes against what is written in Voda's new traffic management policy

Not the biggest deal in the world but might be worth getting it investigated to see if they can remove it.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/webcontent/vftst073789.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That certainly goes against what is written in Voda's new traffic management policy

Not the biggest deal in the world but might be worth getting it investigated to see if they can remove it.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/webcontent/vftst073789.pdf

Agreed. I did actually call them about this and they totally denied such a policy existed (even for 3G customers) i seem to recall EE doing something similiar so maybe they are trying to force customers to upgrade. but on the other hand the upload is capped at 8Mbps which is really good and i think the upload cap is fair and fine..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    left O2 for t mobile 18 months ago, not looked back,. 2G.. whats that???? :D:D seriously if you are looking for good 3G internet coverage EE is the way to go :)

look for yourself in north wales; corwen, bala dollgelleau, bala, llangollen, ruthin, ffestiniog, betws y coed, denbigh, list goes on....and on...on............... :yawn::yawn:

O2/voda where are you?!?!?!?!:rolleyes:

Wish I could go for one of the others but when I tried a T-Mobile SIM and also a Three SIM recently to try them out they did not have the call coverage compared to Vodafone and O2.

I go out into the sticks of Anglia a lot of the time (North Norfolk etc) but the others did not even give me reception in my house in Harlow (and not even that far from the town centre).

I would love to be able to move as was impressed by the data speeds but I use a phone mainly for a being a phone (prefer to have reception in emergencies instead of fast data) .