Options

Lunch break at work

TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long do you get for lunch at work?

I get 40 minutes, which, I don't think is long enough to digest your food in a relaxed way..

Comments

• Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    My partner gets an hour. He can take it all together or in 2 halves.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got superflexi so can, in theory, take as long as we want.

I usually take 30-45 minutes though. Enough time to take a break from the screen and the phone ;)
  • Options
    slade1slade1 Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get an hour and love every second! I live 3 mins from work so that means a long time at home!
  • Options
    Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It varies depending on my hours as I work part time, so I get a full 1 hour when I'm in 9:30-5:30pm and 10-5:30pm, and 20 minute if I'm working 6.5 hours. When I do just 4 hours, obviously I don't have a break as such, but my boss and I have a cuppa and a chat once I arrive in the morning! When I work overtime in another branch, I get a full 1 hour if I'm in 9:00-5:30pm, and 30 minutes if I'm in 9-5pm - this works differently as it's a much busier store and has more staff in everyday, so not everyone has a full 1 hour as we all work different shifts. Personally, I'd rather an hour as it's nice to unwind and have time to enjoy your food, and it allows time if you need to pop out to get a few bits and pieces.
  • Options
    shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get an hour, so plenty of time to scoff my lunch and spend the reminder on DS :o An addict?? Me?? :D:D
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I don't get one at all! I know it's illegal but I'm in charge of personnel so I'm not going to report me.

Your attitude to lunch breaks so depends on whether you're paid for it or not. If you get paid for the full hour off, then yes, you're going to take it. If you don't get paid for it, you will keep it to the minimum.

So, which are you? I'm guessing your attitude to your 40 minutes will depend on whether you're on paid time or not.
  • Options
    mj_32510mj_32510 Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 minutes, which is a joke especially when im on 4am starts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    Lunch break...nah don't have time!
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    I don't get one at all! I know it's illegal but I'm in charge of personnel so I'm not going to report me.

Your attitude to lunch breaks so depends on whether you're paid for it or not. If you get paid for the full hour off, then yes, you're going to take it. If you don't get paid for it, you will keep it to the minimum.

So, which are you? I'm guessing your attitude to your 40 minutes will depend on whether you're on paid time or not.

We do not get paid for our breaks, i only take a 15 minute break at 10.00.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get an hour. id rather have 30 mins so I can get away 2 1/2 hours earlier on a friday as it takes me 3-4 hours to drive home
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I believe the law is 20 mins for every 6 hours you work, not a lot really.

I know some places have 90 mins breaks, far too much i think.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am on flexi time so can take anywhere between half an hour and two hours, granted I have the time and others in the office aren't too swamped, needing out etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    Super Frog wrote: »
    I am on flexi time so can take anywhere between half an hour and two hours, granted I have the time and others in the office aren't too swamped, needing out etc.

Your definitely not my colleague then...when the sh*t goes down, she goes on her lunchbreak!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half an hour for 9am-6pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get one. Deadlines mean it is absolutely impossible to leave the office. It is one of those jobs where you miss something from moving from your desk. I just learn to live with it!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get 50 minutes, but take 15-20 max depending on work/detentions
  • Options
    Temp1Temp1 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First job I had we got 90 minutes, and it was paid. Employers really screw you oever nowadays.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    We get 45 minutes in my college. It maybe a bit longer sometimes though if the teacher lets us out a bit early.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half an hour. I'm used to hour long lunch breaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlurAlly wrote: »
    I don't get one. Deadlines mean it is absolutely impossible to leave the office.

I'm sure that's against the law.

Your company has a duty to you to ensure you take adequate breaks.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Get? An hour.

Take? A sandwich at my desk.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get 1 hr for my lunch, along with my mates/colleagues

Then one day the manager pulled all of us into admin, and explained that our lunch break is getting cut back to 30 mins

As this is the set time for lunch breaks, everyone gets the same breaks

15/20 min paid break
    30 min lunch unpaid
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i've had a pro rata job then i've always taken every second that is part of my break and when i worked in a call centre i would never start early, just on time. When a company pays you, then it's for the work... they don't own you. (never do anything for free thats my rule unless of course it's rewarding like charity stuff)

This whole thing of oh i don't have the time, you do, it's more of a case that you choose not to.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A long lunch break is refreshing and frees your mind. I wouldn't mind betting a person who talks an hour each day is more productive than a person who takes half that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a 35 hour working week with no paid lunch breaks as opposed to what it used to be when it was a 40 hour working week with an hour for lunch. This is a much better way as you can take as long or as little as you want and if its only a half day then you can work hours around what in the past would have been the hour when the phones would have been closed and everyone was at lunch.

I know someone who works somewhere that not just makes them take an hour for lunch but they have to actually leave the building which I'm pretty sure in the winter isn't a very convineint thing. Not sure how long they have to stay out for or if they can just walk round the block and go back in five minutes later but I'd hate that system. I like to be able to finish what i'm working on and then have a break not get given a fixed time.