Sky free pass on PickTV 2013

13»

Comments

• ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I'd rather have the money to go to the cinema as often as I like.

You must be rolling in it.

:D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=63991218#post63991218
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free parkng at the local multiplex!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    Whenever I've had just Freeview in the past it's because I couldn't afford to pay for Virgin or Sky. So even if I enjoyed some of the shows in the free pass, I wouldn't be encouraged to upgrade because I still wouldn't be able to afford it. This could be true for a lot of people with only Freeview so I don't see how this would encourage that group of people.

Well most TVs get Freeview these days, so I suppose they are looking at those who might want to upgrade. The tasters are like one might get with someone giving some free tasters in a supermarket, you get a biscuit or a piece of cheese, or a small tot of a juice, they do not give away a whole packet, a whole cheese of a full carton of drink. Some people might like these products and others might hate them so either one accepts a taster of ignore it.

The same with Pick TV it shows what is available for those who decide to pay for the extra TV they may wish to receive, if one has no intention of paying they are not forced to keep watching Pick TV.

I believe Pick TV is there mainly for the benefit of Sky as an advertising tool than that of entertaining the Freeview viewer for free. They give away a few tasters free and show some old jumble sale programmes surplus to requirements, like a sort of holding place before being dumped for good.

Sky are, after all, a business with their interest naturally being on Sky TV which brings them revenue rather than providing popular programmes to see for free on Freeview.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    If you take Game of Thrones, it's ludicrous that Sky are showing a couple of episodes from series one as a taster. If you sign up to Sky on the basis of that, you will find they are about to start showing series 3, so you are going to be perpetually behind. It's more an advert for the DVD/Blu-ray than for Sky, as that's the only way to see the rest of the series and catch up.

Really they should have shown the entire series so it finished shortly before series 2 started on pay TV. With a long wait for the DVDs that might actually have encouraged people to sign up to Sky to watch the second series. They could then show series 2 on Pick with a significant delay in order to cash in on the advertising revenue.

Their "encourage people to subscribe" ethos would be satisfied, Pick TV would be a better channel and gain more advertising revenue from people who won't ever subscribe.

They are too intent on "weakening Freeview" for that to ever happen though. Showing a couple of episodes from the first series when the third is about to air doesn't seem to be the right thing to do in any respect.

Arguably they've made an even bigger error with An Idiot Abroad - showing half of series 2 when series 3 has just finished.
    I am lucky I have seen a bit of idiot abroad season 1 so if I catch some of the season 2 stuff I know the whole idea of who Karl pilkington is, why he is abroad etc. someone watching a random episode for their first taste of the series might not get it, the first episode I saw was the one in India.

Sky are totally misguided, and they wonder why people aren't signing up
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Free parkng at the local multiplex!

Our local Multiplex is in another city miles away. We are suppose to be having one built starting this year, we will see. But it is a Odeon again and they are expensive, really expensive, so I doubt I will be going there that often
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

I believe Pick TV is there mainly for the benefit of Sky as an advertising tool than that of entertaining the Freeview viewer for free. They give away a few tasters free and show some old jumble sale programmes surplus to requirements, like a sort of holding place before being dumped for good.

Sky are, after all, a business with their interest naturally being on Sky TV which brings them revenue rather than providing popular programmes to see for free on Freeview.

Always was, the only reason Sky got into Freeview was to advertise and then they thought they could use it for their Picnic service, which did not go anywhere.

I must admit, once their Picnic Venture failed , I thought they may have pulled out of Freeview.

If their Now service does well then they may get out of Freeview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Always was, the only reason Sky got into Freeview was to advertise and then they thought they could use it for their Picnic service, which did not go anywhere.

I must admit, once their Picnic Venture failed , I thought they may have pulled out of Freeview.

If their Now service does well then they may get out of Freeview.
    I don't see them ever pulling out, they like meddling too much. The little power they have on Freeview makes it easier for them to undermine and devalue the service.

Just like during the recent EPG reshuffle, derailed due to Sky meddling!
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the first series of An Idiot Abroad is being shown on Pick TV from Sunday 9pm. I think this is the first time it's been on Freeview (the first 3 episodes of series 2 were shown during the free Sky Thursdays earlier this year).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Apologies to anyone who watches pick tv, but I wish they do something else with the bandwidth.

Who anyone here really object if they replaced pick with sky sports news and moved challenger to channel 12?
    They diffinetly needs to bring back sky sports news or something like it :)