Options

48 hours in Birmingham

AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
Forum Member
I found a 50p return to Birmingham, and have decided to have a look around.

Is there anything to see, apart from the chocolate factory ?

Comments

• Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Where are you staying? There are loads of things to see and do.
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are your interests?
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    You can visit the Bull Ring (a huge shopping centre), probably go and view planes at the airport (there are a few good viewing areas), and probably have a walk down/trip down the canal.
  • Options
    AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed Edinburgh recently, the history, the buildings, the scenerey, the tourist bits really.

Also any good live music venues (indie, acoustic)

And any interesting things on the various canals ? Ie tours ?
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Museum and Art Gallery are great if that is your kind of thing. (Lots of Pre Raphaelites, Edwardian tearoom, Staffordshire Hoard). City centre is vibrant and has been really done up.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay away from Birmingham New Street station and surrounding shopping centres, what an utter dump
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    You can visit the Bull Ring (a huge shopping centre), probably go and view planes at the airport (there are a few good viewing areas), and probably have a walk down/trip down the canal.

In fairness, the airport isn't exactly in the City Centre and would need another train trip to reach it. I have my own viewing point....I live under the flight path. The PIA and Emirates planes come in a little low :eek:
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    Stay away from Birmingham New Street station and surrounding shopping centres, what an utter dump

The bullring is ok. :/
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter. I wouldn't have visited if the client hadn't insisted on giving me a tour around his beloved city. :D That museum was the best highlight.

http://www.jewelleryquarter.net/visit/museums/museum-of-the-jewellery-quarter/
    Edit: This might be better - http://www.bmag.org.uk/museum-of-the-jewellery-quarter
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    You'll have to get down to the Handmade Burger Co. and try a stuffed burger (similar to a 'Juicy Lucy' in the States).
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    In fairness, the airport isn't exactly in the City Centre and would need another train trip to reach it. I have my own viewing point....I live under the flight path. The PIA and Emirates planes come in a little low :eek:

That's the most exciting part :D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bullring is ok. :/

It has Urban Pie in it. Urban Pie is ace.

Mmm pie.
  • Options
    open-armsopen-arms Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Some nice places to eat in the mailbox. Also there is the sealife centre just a short walk from there. Some nice places along the way beside the canal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yam save your 50p eet's not wurth eet.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do the timetable plasma screens on the concourse still work? I installed those about 12 years ago. :D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Do the timetable plasma screens on the concourse still work? I installed those about 12 years ago. :D

They're rubbish. Last time I was there they properly ruined my holiday.

Not really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    Yam save your 50p eet's not wurth eet.

ar, e aye rung.

There really isn't much to see and do in Brum unfortunately OP.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    The regenerated bit around the canals is lovely- reminds me a bit of Albert Docks in Liverpool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    The regenerated bit around the canals is lovely- reminds me a bit of Albert Docks in Liverpool.

there are a few parts of Birmingham now that could be considered lovely, that bit of the canal at Brindly Place being one of them, trouble is, there just isn't much to do there. Birmingham is pretty soulless.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member

The Bull Ring isn't a dump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is really nice. And I forgot the Botanical Gardens, in Harborne. They're lovely, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bull Ring isn't a dump.

It was twenty years ago but now it is great. I went back there recently - we were very impressed by how lovely the city centre is now.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    It is really nice. And I forgot the Botanical Gardens, in Harborne. They're lovely, too.

Aston Hall has reopened after a refurbishment, hasn't it? That used to be worth a visit.