Options

Work and a child with allergies help please.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
Forum Member
✭✭
I am currently working as a home carer and my child has a really sensitive allergy to dogs and their is a client that gets put on my list quite regularly and I have told my employers about this and they have advised me to strip myself and wash my clothes everyday.

Now my problem is the hair gets everywhere and even in my car it still lingers and my child's health is more important than a minimum wage job. And ultimately I have been told the more he is exposed to his allergies the worst they become. Now if he has a serious allergy reaction again and I have to explain it is due to the nature of my job and being sent to a house that has dogs in it.

Will the hospital inform the social services on me and do me for some sort of neglect of care.

I have asked the numerous times to remove this person from my rota because of my son's allergy and they refuse. And keep mention washing my clothing...etc.

I have known them to send people who have allergies to cats into homes with cats and one person has had to go to the hospital because they had a serious asthma attack. This person quit after this.

Now can someone tell me my right in refusing to attend a persons house due to this issue. If they fire me based on my refusal to go to this house, could I take them to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal and what are my chances of winning?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am deadly allergic to many things I don't expect my employer to make exceptions for me though, I either wear gloves and protective clothing or I look for another job. It's my problem not theirs IMO and washing clothes and taking a shower should render you safe to be around your child so why not just do that as they suggested ?
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Can't you use one of those dust overalls which painters and decorators wear, over your clothes when you have to enter the house, and then remove it before getting back into your car.

That should minimise the amount of hair that gets into your car.

However I'm with Molliepops, its not up to your employer to manage your allergies, you either need to prevent contagens yourself or change jobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I don't think you can really tell your employer you won't do some work due to your child's allergy, it sounds mean, but its really not your employers problem, and the stripping and washing isn't such a bad idea tbh.

you can't stop your child from coming across dog hair on a day to day basis, you are going to have to manage his allergy I'm afraid (and I'm talking as someone who is severely allergic to numerous things) what about when he starts school? You can't ban all the other kids from having dogs?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I also agree that it's not up to your employers to manage your child's allergies (and as Bazaar has pointed out, you will HAVE to find a way to manage them sooner or later, or you will have to keep your child locked in the house for the rest of his life).

You would not stand a chance of winning an unfair dismissal claim, especially as there are perfectly reasonable steps you can take that will enable you to do what you are paid to do. Wench's suggestion of overalls is a good one. You can keep them in the boot of your car and change in and out of them before and after work.