Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    No idea mate. Sorry. I'll try and find out the other thing for you today.

Mid November is now what i'm hearing for new broadband. Basically it's very very soon.

Is there any pricing info yet for the new broadband? .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was keen to get you on a new contract.

A friend of mine in the industry mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he had heard that three are hoping to get the towns they announced as 2014, which are along the M4, done by december. But i don't know how true this is.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    If EE is already there then it is possible, but unlikely.
    The work has largely been done in many of the cities.... doesn't mean anyone is getting on it till when they say so.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    WLB wrote: »
    A friend of mine in the industry mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he had heard that three are hoping to get the towns they announced as 2014, which are along the M4, done by december. But i don't know how true this is.

Not true in the sense of customers being able to use it.
    But true in the sense of it being ready to be switched on in 2014.
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »

Not that i know of.

Based on what i've heard Three might just launch new dongles and no new tariffs. I have no idea when the new and improved tariffs will launch,
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »

No new tariffs yet i'm afraid. No new Mi-Fi's either.

However, in mid November, Three will be launching two new dongles from the ZTE MF7xxx and MF8 series to replace the current standard (HSPA+) and Premium (DC-HSPA+) dongle.

The new ZTE standard dongle will support DC-HSPA+ and replace the current standard model at the same price points. The other dongle is LTE Cat 3 compatible and will replace the advanced dongle.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got any idea when Three will switch on their 4G network in December?
    Forum Member
    got any idea when Three will switch on their 4G network in December?

Yes....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes....

so....? :p
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i switched over from giffgaff too three two days ago , kept my number , the internet speeds are 10 times faster than what i was getting on giffgaff , however 4g wont be in my city until early 2015 :eek:

ohh and voice calls are so much crisper on three , so glad i changed .
  • steven_good2steven_good2 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    i hope the Three Samsung Galaxy S4 4.3 update includes the option to activate 4G instead of waiting for separate update a month or two down the line! dose any one know???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    i hope the Three Samsung Galaxy S4 4.3 update includes the option to activate 4G instead of waiting for separate update a month or two down the line! dose any one know???

it will be a carrier update via a sim update that the network will send out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a question. What LTE bands are 3 going to use, and what frequencies are these? Is it likely they will use both of the ones they have or will it mostly be one band they use?
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I've got a question. What LTE bands are 3 going to use, and what frequencies are these? Is it likely they will use both of the ones they have or will it mostly be one band they use?

band 3 (1800Mhz) and Band 20 (800Mhz DD)

Band 3 will be used most widely and from December.
    Band 20 will be used from July 2014 and mainly in rural areas.
  • steven_good2steven_good2 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Any news on when the samsung S4 will get the 4.3 treatment from three uk?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    band 3 (1800Mhz) and Band 20 (800Mhz DD)

Band 3 will be used most widely and from December.
    Band 20 will be used from July 2014 and mainly in rural areas.

So a US bought iPhone 5c will work on Three's LTE network then. This is good news as my girlfriend just got one.

It supports bands 3 and 20 and many others. It doesn't support band 7 which I believe only Vodafone use at present?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Would have thought we would have seen more 'action' around 4G with it being 1 month away.... more advertising maybe on TV.... SIM updates coming through and just more press info to bring attention back
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a US bought iPhone 5c will work on Three's LTE network then. This is good news as my girlfriend just got one.

It supports bands 3 and 20 and many others. It doesn't support band 7 which I believe only Vodafone use at present?

Yeah a US unlocked iPhone 5C would work perfectly on Three's on both 3G and future 4G network. Only thing you wouldn't get is the 2G backup from Orange but that is getting extremely rare to find anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Yeah a US unlocked iPhone 5C would work perfectly on Three's on both 3G and future 4G network. Only thing you wouldn't get is the 2G backup from Orange but that is getting extremely rare to find anyway.

Great, I did research it quite a bit before we went for it. I realised about the Orange 2G backup, we do occasionally go to mid Wales or the Lake District where you sometimes see the 2G but that's not worth worrying about. The 3G network is very good nowadays round here.
    Forum Member
    dangetti wrote: »
    Would have thought we would have seen more 'action' around 4G with it being 1 month away.... more advertising maybe on TV.... SIM updates coming through and just more press info to bring attention back

Three will have a lot of attention very soon.
    TV adverts are due out very soon. One starring a certain 4G Pony, another starring a certain pay as you go dog. £2m marketing campaign.

Three will have a phased roll out of 4G with the first sites going live in very early December and limited software update roll outs (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Reading). In January we'll see all sites turned on + more areas turned on and all users should be able to download the software update to their phone. Three are expecting around 1.6m 4G ready customers by January 2013.

Three are aiming for over 90% DC-HSPA+ coverage by the end of this year and over 80% LTE coverage by this time next year. 98% LTE coverage by the end of 2015 and blanket outdoor/ indoor coverage by the mid/end of 2016. This is going to be the fastest roll out of LTE to date.

Feel at Home is expanding in early December too with Indonesia, Macau, Sri Lanka and the USA being added to the list. More European countries will be added in H1 2014.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, I did research it quite a bit before we went for it. I realised about the Orange 2G backup, we do occasionally go to mid Wales or the Lake District where you sometimes see the 2G but that's not worth worrying about. The 3G network is very good nowadays round here.

Yeah and with 4G coming in that has maybe 2 years max before it is completely pointless anyway as LTE will be either the same or superior.
  • mickwallmickwall Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Have they revealed the rollout estimate for each city yet?

I'm wondering if Sheffield is going to be as early as January or as late as December 2014. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im wondering if my area even though in London will even get 4G in December. I am guessing not. It took a while to get DC-HSDPA even though they claimed London had been activated.
  • mickwallmickwall Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Can I ask what might be a silly question. Sorry.

Will Three opening up the 4g bandwidths solve some of the voice/text dead spots their network has? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    could do

the lower the Mhz the better it is at getting indoors.

They use 2100Mhz for 3G and will use 1800Mhz for 4G so will be slightly better indoors.

Then when they roll out 800Mhz it will be even better
This discussion has been closed.