Options

So... who are we (the English) supporting?

Comments

• Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    Argentina. I cannot stand Messi, but people who say Argentina have not been playing well know little about football. Tactically superb. They don't just have a great defence, they have a very tight midfield capable of stifling the opposition. It's exactly the type of game Germany hate. Argentina have great quality of players and play as a team with a brilliant coach.

I grew up in Germany and would have supported them, but their disgusting humiliation of the host nation last night makes me wish they are put in their place by Argentina.

Disgusting humiliation? you choose not to support the country you grew up in because they played really well and secured probably one of their most memorable results?
    They actually coasted for a good 30-40 minutes they probably could have scored more, I don't know if your being serious though, so will leave it there.

As an aside, I hope Argentina win.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people think I was joking. Quite a few people I have spoken to agree with me.

Anyway, nothing can change that game, but I am still supporting Argentina as all my teams are out (Italy and Holland). The only people I like in the German team are Klose and the manager Low. The rest are arrogant tits, especially Muller, even if I have to admit that he is an amazing player.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    I don't know why people think I was joking. Quite a few people I have spoken to agree with me.

Are you serious?! We're not talking about a team of 7 year old kids here (although even U7's don't stop when they've scored 4 goals_.

This was a team of grown men who get paid millions of pounds a year to play football and represent a nation who likes to lord it over the rest of the world as supposedly being the best at football.

I'm only disappointed that the Germans did seem to ease off a bit and didn't make it to double figures!
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, nothing can change that game, but I am still supporting Argentina as all my teams are out (Italy and Holland). The only people I like in the German team are Klose and the manager Low. The rest are arrogant tits, especially Muller, even if I have to admit that he is an amazing player.

..and quite a few people on here think you're talking complete crap.

Are you honestly suggesting that the Germans go completely against the rules of the game, the nature of their team and the overall spirit of football by going easy on Brazil just because they are at home in the World Cup?? Seriously? Seriously????

If Brazil were humiliated that's their problem, not Germanys.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course... it's not like a 7:1 result will go into the history books.

Why should Germany be denied a place in history? A sense of pity that's more insulting to Brazilian pride than any scoreline could ever be?
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah... because they played a really serious competitive game against the USA... I hope Germany lose the title now. Winning 7:1 against any host nation is disgusting, but to do it against Brazil in a semi-final is truly appalling. 4:1 would have been humiliating enough. Please don't pretend like players can't control the outcome of a game.

I agree, you don't see England do that sort of thing, we always give the under-dogs a chance. A true gentleman doesnt rub his opponent's nose in it or celebrate like some of these Johnny Foreigners.
    But most of these countries are greedy anyway, how many more times do Brazil want to win the WC ? We are perfectly satisfied with winning just the once all those years ago and giving other teams a chance.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This final is going to confuse the hell out of old-school English xenophobes.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you haven't been watching enough football games, but just to inform you: football players can control how many goals they score and Germany should have stopped at 4. It was obvious Brazil was incapable of doing anything.

Any player that refused to score because they felt sorry for the opposition should be fined and banned for corruption.

For all your cr@p about what makes a good football team, you really are a numpty if you think it consists of not scoring goals when you are able. Actually you sound like a someone who has no idea how football should be played...
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All that proves is that there are more idiots who lack any knowledge of football whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    All that proves is that there are more idiots who lack any knowledge of football whatsoever.

What can I say, I live in England :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Germany, seeing as I'm a European. I wonder who the Brazilians are supporting? :D
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Like World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro who said if he had been playing he would have said five was enough?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Like World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro who said if he had been playing he would have said five was enough?

Are we the same person? :D Cannavaro is a legend and I agreed with everything he said last night.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah... because they played a really serious competitive game against the USA... I hope Germany lose the title now. Winning 7:1 against any host nation is disgusting, but to do it against Brazil in a semi-final is truly appalling. 4:1 would have been humiliating enough. Please don't pretend like players can't control the outcome of a game.

I'm afraid I don't follow your argument. As another FM has said, being "considerate" and pussy-footing arond a very bad Brazilian team at such a high level (the Germans are in it to WIN IT like all the teams who qualify..) would have been disrespectful.
    Football can be an emotional thing, but for heaven's sake! You are allowing the wrong emotion to get in the way here. Sorry, but you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, you don't see England do that sort of thing, we always give the under-dogs a chance. A true gentleman doesnt rub his opponent's nose in it or celebrate like some of these Johnny Foreigners.
    But most of these countries are greedy anyway, how many more times do Brazil want to win the WC ? We are perfectly satisfied with winning just the once all those years ago and giving other teams a chance.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    This final is going to confuse the hell out of old-school English xenophobes.

Thatcherite patriots vs. the Basil Fawlties. Yes, lot of overlap there. :D
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that Germany win. Argentina haven't impressed me at all (apart from the Nigeria game, possibly).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you haven't been watching enough football games, but just to inform you: football players can control how many goals they score and Germany should have stopped at 4. It was obvious Brazil was incapable of doing anything.

I don't think the German players have forgotten the shit they got after the Sweden game in 2012. "They arrogantly underestimated the opposition" was the media's main tune back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Are you serious?! We're not talking about a team of 7 year old kids here (although even U7's don't stop when they've scored 4 goals_.

This was a team of grown men who get paid millions of pounds a year to play football and represent a nation who likes to lord it over the rest of the world as supposedly being the best at football.

I'm only disappointed that the Germans did seem to ease off a bit and didn't make it to double figures!

Apparently they made an agreement among themselves at half time to ease off a bit.
  • Options
    humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Germany beat the Argies if only to stop that smug little Messi from being classed as the greatest ever, which he is not.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Apparently they made an agreement among themselves at half time to ease off a bit.

They acted with dignity at the end. They could have really rubbed salt in the wound by acting like morons, they didn't and I for one admire that. Besides they played great football which is always a bous;-)

WOnder what the Brazil squad would have been like, if their carry on at the National Anthem was anything to go by...:D
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »
    I hope Germany beat the Argies if only to stop that smug little Messi from being classed as the greatest ever, which he is not.

Well I want them to win, but that would be a bonus too.:)
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Messi all that smug? He just seems to get on with it from what I can see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    I think they must have felt a bit awkward and even embarrassed. I would.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

Quote: “A true gentleman doesn’t rub his opponent's nose in it or celebrate like some of these Johnny Foreigners.”

That’s an edict I’ve lived by all my life and that’s why our 1966 World Cup victory has always bothered me greatly; coming so soon as it did after the ...the er’..... the thing we shouldn’t mention.

I personally would have been far happier if that final had ended in a draw after extra-time and we’d lost, inevitably, on penalties; (well, the toss of a coin as it was in those days).

We would have been able to applaud the victorious team with a clear conscience and a song in our hearts.

As it was, we had to sheepishly cheer-on Bobby Moore and the boys as though our ‘hollow victory’ actually meant something; the inner-turmoil felt by all true Englishmen that day was almost too much to bear.

What occurred in that final of ’66 was just not cricket.

However, Germanys merciless pounding of Brazil has finally redressed the balance.

Possibly, even they went too far by deliberately allowing Oscars ‘consolation’ goal. Our Teutonic neighbours, a wonderfully polite people, are not usually noted for their sarcasm.