Options

Am I The Worst Mother Ever?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I feel so guilty, me and hubby have planned to have a holiday abroad in two weeks time. Our son has never been on a plane and flippantly we said 'oh we'll get somewhere don't worry'.

Hubby and I have both nearly had heart attacks looking through holiday web sites, night after night. We haven't planned enough in advance and now these holidays are beyond our reach,because they want silly money above our budget.

I even wanted to sell some family heirlooms, but hubby said that was going a bit desperate, but the problem is I've let my son down, because I was gob almighty telling him we'd defiantely be going away!

Now he's upset and we're all upset...I'm a terrible mother:o

Comments

• Options
    The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is your Son?
    Take him somewhere for a weekend instead, it doesn't have to be abroad kids love anything different and I am sure he would be happy with that. Just explain to him that you are unable to go
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you're not the worst mother.

How old is your son?. Is he old enough to realise that money is tight and you can't afford to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be silly. Karen Matthews, Rose West and Tracey Connelly are way ahead of you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scream wrote: »
    How old is your Son?
    Take him somewhere for a weekend instead, it doesn't have to be abroad kids love anything different and I am sure he would be happy with that. Just explain to him that you are unable to go

Thanx The Scream, he's 15 and we've done all of Britain since he was younger, he's a good lad and understands if he wants something he can't have it until we can afford it and even if then! But I blame my big trap for showing off to him about what an aeroplane is like and this and that and he's desperate to get 'a tan':D to ensnare the girls, cos he has :cool: hair etc!:D
  • Options
    The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanx The Scream, he's 15 and we've done all of Britain since he was younger, he's a good lad and understands if he wants something he can't have it until we can afford it and even if then! But I blame my big trap for showing off to him about what an aeroplane is like and this and that and he's desperate to get 'a tan':D to ensnare the girls, cos he has :cool: hair etc!:D

Aww well at least he is old enough to understand. I have learnt myself now NEVER to mention anything to my Daughter until its a done deal no matter what it is!
    Why dont you ask him if there is anything different that he would like to do instead then?
    :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel so guilty, me and hubby have planned to have a holiday abroad in two weeks time. Our son has never been on a plane and flippantly we said 'oh we'll get somewhere don't worry'.

Hubby and I have both nearly had heart attacks looking through holiday web sites, night after night. We haven't planned enough in advance and now these holidays are beyond our reach,because they want silly money above our budget.

I even wanted to sell some family heirlooms, but hubby said that was going a bit desperate, but the problem is I've let my son down, because I was gob almighty telling him we'd defiantely be going away!

No, needs must and you are not infallible, kids understand more than you think and the fact that you are even starting this thread shows you care and are concerned about your child's well being. You are not a terrible mother, just a normal mother with normal mother troubles.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What kind of budget do you have.

I'm certain you can go into a high street travel agent and pick up a last minute deal even if it means him missing a few days at school.
    Swine flu is a great excuse for him to have a few extra days off.
  • Options
    WhoreofBabylonWhoreofBabylon Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    This is easily fixed, what kind of budget do you have? It's unlikely that somewhere abroad is out of your reach, as long as you're flexible on your destinations.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do bear in mind that he'll probably read this.:D

I wouldn't say you are the worst mother ever, but if you think that he doesn't know about aircraft
    But I blame my big trap for showing off to him about what an aeroplane is like
    then you really need to re-evaluate your perception of him.:p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scream wrote: »
    Aww well at least he is old enough to understand. I have learnt myself now NEVER to mention anything to my Daughter until its a done deal no matter what it is!
    Why dont you ask him if there is anything different that he would like to do instead then?
    :)

I've asked and given him lots of other ideas that we could do, but he said 'what's the point?' as he went off to bed, so I suggested he have a think about it.
    I am doubly in the s**t too, because this weekend all our friends are going camping and we can't go, because I'm cooking for a party, which he knew about weeks ago and he loves camping with about 20 of us cos we have a great time, (with their 15 year olds too), so I'm in deep :(

I think I should go off to bed now and try and forget about it, it's a new day tomorrow!!:yawn::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you're not, surely you know that?

Bad mother = those which physically/emotionally/sexually abuse their kids.

I know what it's like to have a terrible mother. You are certainly not one for not being able to take your kid on holiday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mijath wrote: »
    Karen Matthews,

See, if you did her trick you'd raise the money, need to set aside a few more weeks for that though, unfortunately.
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you tried this site?

http://www.thomson.co.uk/late-deals/late-deals.html

Thomson use to do a fantastic Auctions site where by they will sell the holliday as an auction. But now they have discontinued it.

Just been on that late deals and follow through to select and it says that there are none at all ... I can't seem to find one holliday!

Where are you wanting to go and what is your budget - fly from where, and I will ask a friend who use to be a travel agent.

Also check for hollidays and book only on a tuesdsay/wednesday/thursday this is mid week and is cheaper!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you tried the teletext holiday website?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making an error of judgement doesn't make you a bad mother. Wanting to give your son something to look forward to doesn't make you a bad mum either. Sometimes it's difficult to keep a promise no matter how much we want to keep them. Obviously you feel bad about breaking it but your son is old enough to understand the situation, and old enough to deal with it. Explain to him that you've made a mistake and tell him that you will make things right when you can. That's really all you can do.

As others have suggested why not look for last minute offers? Have you considered going later in the year when it's the next half term? :)
  • Options
    the_daddythe_daddy Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, if nobody else has the balls to say it, grow up love!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Why not arrange for him to have a coastal flight, on a day trip to a seaside as near to you as possible, that does such trips. It costs far less than a holiday and you can have a day out too.

My first air trip was in a two seater plane over the coast of Cornwall.

I don't know where you are situated, but this is an example - in Shoreham near Brighton. Click on 'Pleasure Flights' under 'Flying', follow from there and you will get all the details. It says that flights start at £38.

http://www.shorehamairport.co.uk/#
  • Options
    Scotland1Scotland1 Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've asked and given him lots of other ideas that we could do, but he said 'what's the point?' as he went off to bed, so I suggested he have a think about it.
    I am doubly in the s**t too, because this weekend all our friends are going camping and we can't go, because I'm cooking for a party, which he knew about weeks ago and he loves camping with about 20 of us cos we have a great time, (with their 15 year olds too), so I'm in deep :(

I think I should go off to bed now and try and forget about it, it's a new day tomorrow!!:yawn::eek:

At face value, it sounds to me like a comment he just made because he's deep down heartbroken after being so excited.
    Could he go camping without you, so long as he can be supervised by someone you absolutely trust no less than 100%?
    I do feel for you all. I have actually let my Son down like that before, and it hurt knowing that I hurt his feelings. It was out of my control. What did help was to not cancel, but postpone, and then that way, you should even have some extra pennies.

How's about http://www.lastminute.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_daddy wrote: »

If that's what you use your balls for, then that's too bad.
    It's not this sweet Mother that need to grow-up... if you know what I mean.

I empathise with the situation, and I hope something gets sorted out for all, even if it's a little less or very different.

Children of the World deserve a treat once in a while, and most good parents will know that it's a great treat for them to see their Children happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't you even afford to go away for a few days? Surely there must be some last minute holidays about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    Can't you even afford to go away for a few days? Surely there must be some last minute holidays about?

It's not always that easy, otherwise just about every familly would be away all the time. You are right in that sometimes you can get good deals, bearing in mind that bills and debts need to be taken care off too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_daddy wrote: »

Sorry OP but I couldn't agree more. I know exactly the 'mother guilt' when you feel you have let your child down, we all experience it at some point! And yes, you may feel a little bad but quite frankly you and everyone else is well aware, especially in this day and age that not being able to take your child on some flash holiday does NOT make you the 'worst mother ever'.

I think with the stories we are currently being presented with in the media you come across a little attention seeking for even asking it to be honest.

Just my opinion. If social services cart you off for not being able to afford a holiday then I will stand corrected.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Easyjet/Ryanair/BMIbaby?

I'm presuming that you have passports etc. in place.

Get online & book 3 really cheap flights with returns.

Then find some cheap accomodation in the city/area you are flying to.

It's a bit of a leap of faith the first time you make, it but even if you only manage 4 days in somewhere a bit obscure its still a holiday.

It might not be a beach holiday but if you play on the excitement and mystery side of it, your son might just think it's even better.

Just a thought but I hope it helps. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry OP but I couldn't agree more. I know exactly the 'mother guilt' when you feel you have let your child down, we all experience it at some point! And yes, you may feel a little bad but quite frankly you and everyone else is well aware, especially in this day and age that not being able to take your child on some flash holiday does NOT make you the 'worst mother ever'.

I think with the stories we are currently being presented with in the media you come across a little attention seeking for even asking it to be honest.

Just my opinion. If social services cart you off for not being able to afford a holiday then I will stand corrected.

I could be wrong here - but is the lady not feeling bad about the fact that she feels she is disappointing her son after making him a promise, as opposed to feeling guilty because she and her husband can't afford the holiday?

That's how I read it anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong here - but is the lady not feeling bad about the fact that she feels she is disappointing her son after making him a promise, as opposed to feeling guilty because she and her husband can't afford the holiday?

That's how I read it anyway.

Well thats kind of what I was getting at, she feels guilty because now upon realizing she can't afford a holiday she has disappointed her son on the promise she made. In a roundabout way its pretty much the same thing...

Either way it doesn't make anyone the 'worst mother ever'.