New Dr Who Fan (Part Two)

Comments

• WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats on making the leap to pt 2 whoonies!

Thank you dgem :)

But it does feel a bit strange to see that thread title, somewhat akin to The Neverending Story 2. But of MUCH higher quality of course :D
  • HallamsteriscooHallamsteriscoo Posts: 21,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webslark wrote: »
    Thank you dgem :)

But it does feel a bit strange to see that thread title, somewhat akin to The Neverending Story 2. But of MUCH higher quality of course :D

If that's the case then the inn's got nothing to worry about it you compare it to most films with 6 in the title :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's the case then the inn's got nothing to worry about it you compare it to most films with 6 in the title :D

Hi Hammy :)

I assume you were meanin classics such as Police Academy? :D
  • HallamsteriscooHallamsteriscoo Posts: 21,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Hammy :)

I assume you were meanin classics such as Police Academy? :D

Hi Webby

That one did cross my mind :D
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey police academy 6 is a comedy classic. Not quite as good as the outing to miami but still fun ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    I missed the split ! And I am SO disappointed that we are now in Part 2 and not in Part Troughton !
    And also a bit :eek: because the first post talks about Genesis and pancakes, and without even a reference to Sontarans !

SheMoore, sorry to hear about the fire.

Crowfoot, seems like I was more frightening than I intended to for the video using my pictures ! Unless the guy simply moved it elsewhere. Oh well, I won't look for him. If he only wants to take credits for his oh so beautiful and artfully crafted slideshow, that's a bit pathetic, but that's his problem ! Unless any of us stumble on it again *rubs her hands with glee at the idea of being mean to strangers again*...
    *thinks hard how to modify that sentence unless tombaland turns it into something kinky*...

Everyone else : good morning ! Patrick Troughton era ! Yay !

So last night I finished the latest Jasper Fforde book, First among sequels. I won't ask if Eowyn knows (I won't insult you, book twin), but for the others, it's a series featuring Thursday Next (that's a name) who lives in a world where books and literature are important, cheese is mainly illegal and where some people can cross from fiction to reality.
    But, whatever, I'm not here to sell you that book !

It's just that I found two excerpts with Doctor Who references (I stupidly squeed) ! Now I feel the need to reread them all to see if there are any other in the other books !
    If you want to check : Hodder editions, p. 137 (a dialogue about Daleks, Sontaran and Tom Baker) and p. 343 (the character rummages in a jacket belonging to an eccentric old man and finds a yo-yo string and a bag of jelly babies).
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »
    I missed the split ! And I am SO disappointed that we are now in Part 2 and not in Part Troughton !

I know, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that...;)
  • Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    SheMoore19 wrote: »
    OMG! :eek:

We've just had a fire!!!! :eek:

Started with a fault in a kitchen light fitting - we think. OMG I'm shaking! :eek:

We're both perfectly fine and the dogs are fine. :)

Davina said 'I can reveal that the eleventh person to be evicted from the Big Brother House is...' then the tv went off and we were plunged into darkness. We thought it was another pwer cut at first, but when we opened the bedroom door (only inhabitable place right now) we were confronted by a wall of smoke! :eek:

While I dialled 999 Mr SM tried to get through to the kitchen, but the smoke was dead thick and I called him back. They told us to evacuate the building. The neighbours had to be got out too.

The firemen were really nice and sympathetic, they put out the fire and used some sort of machine to clear the smoke and 'restore the atmosphere' :sleep:. Then we had to wait until the man from the electricity place came to check it out. He said it was a fault in the wiring to the light and so we've got no overhead lights. Got sockets though so lamps are fine and got tv and computer so what else does anybody need?

Phew! Narrow escape though. A few more minutes..... *shudders*

Oh and I'm a tad disappointed about the split thread title as I was really looking forward to 'the Pertwee era'.....'Part Three' means we are still in the Troughon years....good job I like him too. ;)

Oh, what a shock for you! I was trapped in a fire many years ago and remember how frightening it is. The main thing is that everyone is OK.
    And also a bit :eek: because the first post talks about Genesis and pancakes, and without even a reference to Sontarans !

Crowfoot, seems like I was more frightening than I intended to for the video using my pictures ! Unless the guy simply moved it elsewhere. Oh well, I won't look for him. If he only wants to take credits for his oh so beautiful and artfully crafted slideshow, that's a bit pathetic, but that's his problem ! Unless any of us stumble on it again *rubs her hands with glee at the idea of being mean to strangers again*...
    *thinks hard how to modify that sentence unless tombaland turns it into something kinky*...

So last night I finished the latest Jasper Fforde book, First among sequels. I won't ask if Eowyn knows (I won't insult you, book twin), but for the others, it's a series featuring Thursday Next (that's a name) who lives in a world where books and literature are important, cheese is mainly illegal and where some people can cross from fiction to reality.

It's just that I found two excerpts with Doctor Who references (I stupidly squeed) ! Now I feel the need to reread them all to see if there are any other in the other books !
    If you want to check : Hodder editions, p. 137 (a dialogue about Daleks, Sontaran and Tom Baker) and p. 343 (the character rummages in a jacket belonging to an eccentric old man and finds a yo-yo string and a bag of jelly babies).

I have never attempted a video, but I'm sure even I could manage to put together a slide show from someone else's pics! Glad to hear the vid is gone. I noted in the comments there was never a claim that the pics were their own, but never a credit either - all very carefully worded...

I haven't read the new one yet - need to get onto it!
    Forum Member
    You know, when I think of paparazzi I either think of Marcello Mastroianni in La Dolce Vita or either to those pestering humans who glue themselves to celebrities or so called celebrities (whether they hate it... or not).
    I would be one lousy paparazzi despite my recent stunt at the Globe but I am afraid that I have some of their ruthlessness...

Here is my correspondence between Britparsley who used my pictures in a slideshow and I :

First email from me to her (it's her I think) last night. You'll enjoy it because I know you'll recognize my "angry teacher" undertones (I'm so glad I never lose that over the summer holiday !) :
    Hello,
    I am the person who took the pictures of David Tennant at the Globe and that you used quite rudely without asking for permission. If you want to check, you can see that the nickname I use is the same both on my You Tube account and on my Picasa account. And if you need more proof, I'll happily provide it.
    I had stated that these pictures were free for use and download, as long as nobody made a profit from them, which obviously is not your case (otherwise you would have already received a call from my lawyer). But I have also protected these pictures with a Creative Commons licence and stated that they were copyrighted. Which means in short that you are taking a credit that does not belong to you, that you don't even mention it and all that go against this licence... And without even having the decency to ask.
    It is to me unacceptable behaviour from a fan to another.
    So I am asking you to mention quite clearly in the video description that those pictures are not yours but mine. If I notice no change within three days, I'll flag you for inappropriate use of copyrighted material to You Tube. Further steps could be taken if you still don't accept my demand.
    As you can see, I am not asking you to delete your video which I consider quite reasonable from me considering your behaviour, but merely that you state your part and mine, and I'll stress the point, quite clearly.
    Sincerly yours,
    Solamenn.

I found three answers this morning and an apology video ! I thought she was a bit overdoing it, I left a comment, then read the message.
    Am I that mean ? Poor girl seemed quite shaken :
    I am so sorry, Solamenn. :( It was never my intention to make profit from the pictures or the song or anything I used in that video. I only used the pictures to share my love for David Tennant's acting with other fans. I am terribly sorry. :( I am going to credit you, of course. That's the least I can do after this. You don't need to provide any more information, I believe you. I'm honestly ashamed and, as a fan and as a person, that was never my intention. I am terribly sorry. I hope you accept my sincere apologies, for this was never intended to happen.
    I will do as you say. Please feel free to check it and see if it is as you wish.
    Sincerely yours,
    Fran.

And the last message was to inform me that she had deleted the video.
    So I felt a bit ashamed and answered very nicely :
    Hi Fran,
    As I've told you in my comment (and I'm sorry I thought you were sarcastic !), don't put the video down ! You are over reacting ! And people enjoyed it !
    I just want to be credited for the work I did, that's all.
    Because once again, as a fan : you like to share, but you also respect politeness. So next time you'll ask first because I'm sure that whoever it is he or she will be delighted to let you use his or her pictures, just like I would have been if you had written me first.
    Now, off you go : put that video back online !
    Solamenn
    Harumph ! All this business over a few pictures.
    Sometimes I forget that the persons on the other side of the computer, and especially in the Whoniverse are not my age and may not be prepared for the wrath of a 31 year old who knows about lawyers and copyrights.
    Forum Member
    Eowyn W wrote: »

I haven't read the new one yet - need to get onto it!

It's so-so. Some predictable plot twists, a little bit too much re-use of old stuff from the BookWorld, some plot devices that would have been ok three books ago but that felt a little contrived now.
    But if you agree to get past that, it's really ok.
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I forget that the persons on the other side of the computer, and especially in the Whoniverse are not my age and may not be prepared for the wrath of a 31 year old who knows about lawyers and copyrights.

She may be younger, but no harm in asking for credit. Your last reply was very nice and hopefully she will put it back up.
    It's so-so. Some predictable plot twists, a little bit too much re-use of old stuff from the BookWorld, some plot devices that would have been ok three books ago but that felt a little contrived now.
    But if you agree to get past that, it's really ok.

Will maybe wait till I can get it out of the library then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having had a chance to catch up now:

SheMoore :eek: * hugs* glad to hear you are all safe - was it old or new wiring that caused it? On the bright side :rolleyes: at least you can now do MORE decorating :)

Muttley, glad you like the Ianto stuff. how about
    Ianto Jones - he's dead hard (and not in a way that Jack would like)

Tombaland hope your head is ok :)
    with regard to the MS thread - it's like saying an artist is unable to paint cos you don't like the way has picked up an unfamilar brush.
    Imagine if we had heard DT saying the Mr Thick from Thickania line out of context, similar condemnation would follow ;)
    I know MS has done good work before and will wait to see he finished product before I comment as decisively as the OP in that thread.

Solamenn, BOOK TWIN - just started rereading that one :D agree with your comments, but still a fun read.

Weedle, sorry to hea about the ticket. Next time try it in a blue police box ;)

* waves to everyone else*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Jasper Fforde books are great. I've read them al. I think ITV nicked his format a bit for the series they did last year based in Pride and Prejudice.
    Hope you are a beginning to sort out after the fire SheMoore. I got caught up in one in a block of flats at uni years ago and it's very frightening.
    Listened to JB on Friday Night is Music Night last night. Not enough of him for me and not my favourite choices but good to listen to him any time. However use iplayer to fast forward through Cantabile - what were they thinking.
    Forum Member
    Solamenn, BOOK TWIN - just started rereading that one :D agree with your comments, but still a fun read.

I agree : it was nevertheless a fun read that I enjoyed.

So now we are book triplets : you, Eowyn and I :D

I am moving onto China Miéville or Robin Hobb today or tomorrow, I'm not sure which author. I'm a bit hesitant about Robin Hobb because I was so disappointed in her latest trilogy.

Edit : Hi Tumpy !
    Forum Member
    I agree : it was nevertheless a fun read that I enjoyed.

So now we are book triplets : you, Eowyn and I :D

I am moving onto China Miéville or Robin Hobb today or tomorrow, I'm not sure which author. I'm a bit hesitant about Robin Hobb because I was so disappointed in her latest trilogy.

Edit : Hi Tumpy !

I like China Miéville, but haven't read Robin Hobb yet. My friend has a shelf-full though, so will get around to borrowing some.

Looking forward to 'Spearhead From Space' this weekend, but want to finish off my Firefly marathon first - nearly there!
    Forum Member
    Eowyn W wrote: »

Looking forward to 'Spearhead From Space' this weekend, but want to finish off my Firefly marathon first - nearly there!

Actually I am a bit disappointed that we move again to Three. Not that I don't enjoy Three, even if I enjoy him less than some other Doctors (sorry SheMoore !), but it really feels like we left Two behind, having seen his regeneration (sort of) and not having any other story with him planned ahead except The Three Doctor and the Two Doctors.

I'd really want to add another one of Two to the next-next list (the one after The Waters of Mars). Any suggestions ? I've checked the release and it seems that we haven't got much choice left though.

Edit : Captain Tight-Pants forever !
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I am a bit disappointed that we move again to Three. Not that I don't enjoy Three, even if I enjoy him less than some other Doctors (sorry SheMoore !), but it really feels like we left Two behind, having seen his regeneration (sort of) and not having any other story with him planned ahead except The Three Doctor and the Two Doctors.

I'd really want to add another one of Two to the next-next list (the one after The Waters of Mars). Any suggestions ? I've checked the release and it seems that we haven't got much choice left though.

Agreed. I <3 two
    Forum Member

Oh, but Two and Three are good together!

Hello to Tumpy too! *waves*
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I <3 two

Me too...in fact as I get older I seem to appreciate Two more and more, his like a fine wine: get's better with age....:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG! :eek:

We've just had a fire!!!!

Started with a fault in a kitchen light fitting - we think. OMG I'm shaking!

We're both perfectly fine and the dogs are fine.

Davina said 'I can reveal that the eleventh person to be evicted from the Big Brother House is...' then the tv went off and we were plunged into darkness. We thought it was another pwer cut at first, but when we opened the bedroom door (only inhabitable place right now) we were confronted by a wall of smoke!

While I dialled 999 Mr SM tried to get through to the kitchen, but the smoke was dead thick and I called him back. They told us to evacuate the building. The neighbours had to be got out too.

The firemen were really nice and sympathetic, they put out the fire and used some sort of machine to clear the smoke and 'restore the atmosphere' :sleep:. Then we had to wait until the man from the electricity place came to check it out. He said it was a fault in the wiring to the light and so we've got no overhead lights. Got sockets though so lamps are fine and got tv and computer so what else does anybody need?

Phew! Narrow escape though. A few more minutes..... *shudders*

Oh and I'm a tad disappointed about the split thread title as I was really looking forward to 'the Pertwee era'.....'Part Three' means we are still in the Troughon years....good job I like him too.
    Yes, we were a bit shaken by it, but everybody is ok - that's the main thing - even the poor budgie who got left behind. But the firemen siad that he was on the floor when he flew into his cage (and he let let Mr SM go in and close the cage when the smoke had cleared) (because all the windows and doors were wide open you see ) and that would have saved him because he was below thw smoke line.

Anyway, we're all fine - if in need of a Brandy!

OMG SheMoore.....:eek:

I'm glad your both okay.....can't imagine how shocked and scared you must have been......:(
    Crowfoot wrote: »
    OMG! Oh I'm so glad you and HeMoore and the pets are all ok. So freaky. I've had nightmares about the house burning down my whole life :o. So scary. ((hugs)) if you'll have them.

I am not shocked.

*she says, sipping a very large mug of almond cream sherry*

But new thread! How exciting
    Tho I am a tad disappointed in not seeing "Part Troughton." Perhaps they thought it best to keep the threads numbered. Then thought, through my sherry-insomnia-funeral induced fuzziness that this is a DOCTOR WHO forum and everyone will know that Troughton = Two :rolleyes:

oh, and agreed re the access to technology by idiotic prats. There's a Canadian comic, Tim Nutt (I used to know his sister!) who has a wonderful bit about how people should get ice-cream headaches when they're trying to say or do something stupid:

"Matt Smith SUCKS MAN cuz I heard this 5 second out-ta---OW!!"

Oh, and Solamenn, I noticed that the plagiarizer's youtube vid has been deleted! So that's good. Gotta give credit, people! Completely agree with you re sharing vs appropriating and the sharing community of the internets etc.

LOL

Ohhhh sounds like an interesting book....
    You know, when I think of paparazzi I either think of Marcello Mastroianni in La Dolce Vita or either to those pestering humans who glue themselves to celebrities or so called celebrities (whether they hate it... or not).
    I would be one lousy paparazzi despite my recent stunt at the Globe but I am afraid that I have some of their ruthlessness...

Here is my correspondence between Britparsley who used my pictures in a slideshow and I :

First email from me to her (it's her I think) last night. You'll enjoy it because I know you'll recognize my "angry teacher" undertones (I'm so glad I never lose that over the summer holiday !) :

I found three answers this morning and an apology video ! I thought she was a bit overdoing it, I left a comment, then read the message.

You had the right to ask....so don't feel bad about it....you can never know what the reaction is going to be....it could have been..."do what you like, I don't care..." So it was worth still sending that comment that you did....

:D
  • daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first post in the Troughton era, ahh.

I don't think you did anything wrong, I think, from what I've read that the girl's about my age and so has got a bit freaked out but them you couldn't have know, so no you're not mean. You should have been credited for your work and so you have every right to complain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just found this really sweet article about a young DW fan.....

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Daleks-and-Cybermen-await-Doctor.5600624.jp

Awwwww:D
  • daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »

Awwww, that will be so cool.
  • kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yawn just breaking my thread cherry :p back to bed for 3 hours then off to work for night shift talk to you all laters :-))

Kenneth
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »

Aaawww too.

But maybe it would be good to introduce the kid to another hobby also, don't you think ?
    Because the mum introduces him like he is totally obsessed and that she encourages this, and if it is really the case maybe it's not that healthy.
    ... Granted, it's healthier than hanging around street corners smoking or throwing stones at passing cars !
This discussion has been closed.