Options

Avatar-What Makes It Worth 2 Billion?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 words, Technology, Creativity and Recession.

If I was writing an essay on the subject of why Avatar has done so well, that is how I would divide it up.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see Avatar over the weekend with my daughter (who had already seen it) and I really was blown away by everthing. I'm not usually a person to believe the hype surrounding films, but my daughter did beg me to go. And I'm so glad I did. It's a brand new experience and feel. Too see something float right in front of my eyes and make me flinch is well worth the money. The story was lovely and I cried twice (much to my daughters annoyance). I now understand why it's made so much at the box office. It's the sort of film you can only really appreciate on a large screen. A piddly 50 inch HD TV won't do the film any justice :)
    Avatar is also so much better than the last 3D film I saw in a cinema, and that was Jaws 3
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone explain this-at the beginning the "Big Boss" says "Do this and Ill get your legs back" how would he have done this?
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Could someone explain this-at the beginning the "Big Boss" says "Do this and Ill get your legs back" how would he have done this?

They have the technology to clone body parts, which can be transplanted. It's just very expensive. He had no hope of affording the procedure on his own, but the company can afford to have it done as payment for his services.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of it's success is due to the fact that there isn't much competition about in the cinemas at the moment.

None of my friends who have seen it are actually raving about the film and saying Avatar is 'a must see'.
  • Options
    JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen Avatar, so I can't really comment on the film itself, but what interests me is will its reception and reviews change once it is released onto DVD/BluRay if the main thing people are raving about are the 3D effects?

I bought Coraline when it came out on DVD and you got free pairs of glasses so you could watch it in 3D from the comfort of your own home. However the quality of the glasses were poor and it was difficult to replicate the settings of the cinema in your own home.

If this is the case for some 3D films already placed on DVD for home viewing, then what will it be like for Avatar? Will more people have to watch it without the added effects and if so, by making them look deeper into the plot will it alter their perception of the film?
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jillstar wrote: »
    I haven't seen Avatar, so I can't really comment on the film itself, but what interests me is will its reception and reviews change once it is released onto DVD/BluRay if the main thing people are raving about are the 3D effects?

I bought Coraline when it came out on DVD and you got free pairs of glasses so you could watch it in 3D from the comfort of your own home. However the quality of the glasses were poor and it was difficult to replicate the settings of the cinema in your own home.

If this is the case for some 3D films already placed on DVD for home viewing, then what will it be like for Avatar? Will more people have to watch it without the added effects and if so, by making them look deeper into the plot will it alter their perception of the film?

The Chances are that This particular film will be one of the inital releases for the new 3D Blu Rays that use the same technology to the cinema screens in conjunction with a 3D TV,so the 3D effects will transfer across favourably better than the old anaglyph system
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it because it's not the type of film I would enjoy. One of my friends saw it twice last week though. She loved it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    According to Box Office Mojo it's now cracked $2 Billion. Currently standing at $2,039,222,000, and now only $6 million short of beating Titanic's all time US Domestic gross.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Oh my god. It's an amazing, beautiful film.

I didn't think I'd enjoy it, I just went to see it after all the hype. But my god, I can now see how good it is. Not just the 3d. EVERYTHING.

Such a nice story. I almost cried in a few parts.

One of my favourite films ever.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jillstar wrote: »
    It's not just the 3D. It's the CGI generally. Although it's true people do rave about the 3D, sometimes they aren't really distinguishing and just mean the visuals generally. The film renders a whole fake world, plus it renders fake cat-like people and makes it all look real. Like Gollum in TLotR, only on a larger scale.

Some of the interest in 3D is because it's relatively new, and this film is being held up as a paradigm of how to use 3D "well". It's a technology demonstration. Viewed more objectively, although it does make the experience more vivid, it's not enough to turn a bad film into a good one, and the 2D CGI is probably enough to carry it onto DVD/Blu-Ray. I think Avatar would have been very successful even without 3D.
    I bought Coraline when it came out on DVD and you got free pairs of glasses
    I expect that used the old technology. I doubt Avatar will be released like that at all; Cameron would have a fit. It'll be new 3D Blu-Ray or 2D. It'll need a bang up-to-day player and TV to see the 3D, stuff which is only just arriving now. The glasses cost around £50. So most people will be watching at home in 2D, at least for the next few years.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see Avatar over the weekend with my daughter (who had already seen it) and I really was blown away by everthing. I'm not usually a person to believe the hype surrounding films, but my daughter did beg me to go. And I'm so glad I did. It's a brand new experience and feel. Too see something float right in front of my eyes and make me flinch is well worth the money. The story was lovely and I cried twice (much to my daughters annoyance). I now understand why it's made so much at the box office. It's the sort of film you can only really appreciate on a large screen. A piddly 50 inch HD TV won't do the film any justice :)
    Avatar is also so much better than the last 3D film I saw in a cinema, and that was Jaws 3

I totally agree. It is so difficult to explain to people who havent seen it at the cinema. It is a true movie viewing experience. I sat with my face full of wonder for the whole film. 3D has come a long way. I very rarely go to the cinema these days but I urge everyone who hasnt seen this yet to go see it on the biggest screen possible.