New Doctor Who Fan (Part C. Baker)

Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
Forum Member
✭✭
How nerdy is this, eagerly anticipating a thread split? :p

It's totally daft but thoroughly enjoyable. :D
The thread will probably get split when it's not expected, i wonder what will happen when it gets to the end of part Matt Smith lol

We then petition SM to kill off MS. Or we start on the companions I think. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Tiggs ! Back to being OP ! And we are part C. Baker and not THE Colin Baker :cry:
    Ah, too bad, but let's get the crates of champagne out :D

Oops, I forgot : Change my dear, and not a moment too soon ;)
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah! THE Colin Baker
    Forum Member
    Webslark wrote: »
    Ah! THE Colin Baker

Ok... I must have missed something because the link led me to a bottle of ketchup :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wooooo hoooooo!!!!:D And Tiggs being the OP again!!! Full circle....First in Jan 2009...and now Jan 2010!!!:D Brilliant!!!:D

And just wanted to say, as I didn't want to add to the Davison thread with the fear of ending up as OP:o...but Muttley said that Part Hartnell was the longest thread we had...and it just made me think...just like those who grew up watching the first Doctor, did any of us ever think we would get to the sixth regeneration of this wonderful thread?????:) Here is to the Future!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »
    Ok... I must have missed something because the link led me to a bottle of ketchup :confused:

nope, that was indeed the link :)
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Here is to the Future!!!!

*clinks her glass to Crazzy's* Cheers !
    nope, that was indeed the link :)

I'm totally confused then. What's the link between Colin Baker and ketchup ? Am I missing a great pun that'll sound lame once you've explained it or is it some kind of reference I don't know about, like Colin Baker did ads for Heinz ketchup bottles ?
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    There's an American mystery writer, Sue Grafton, whose books are titled "A" Is for Alibi, "B" Is for Burglar, "C" Is for Corpse, etc.

She's up to "U" now. I've always wondered what she'll do if she changes her mind about ending the series with "Z"

As for us, we could always use the names of actors who were "definitely" going to be the Doctor according to the tabloids and keep going forever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:'

I'm totally confused then. What's the link between Colin Baker and ketchup ? Am I missing a great pun that'll sound lame once you've explained it or is it some kind of reference I don't know about, like Colin Baker did ads for Heinz ketchup bottles ?

here is Trollfaces explanation from Part 2 (or Troughton) of the thread :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tigger-Roo
    I don't watch much sci-fi so I don't really know much about originations of ideas, but this was very reminiscent of The Running Man (yes I've watched a sci fi film) and I wondered if TRM could have taken some of it's ideas from here.
    Well, the film is based on the Steven King novella, which was written in 1982. But both were probably based on Robert Sheckley's 1958 short story "The Prize Of Peril" (which you can read here), the original "lethal game show" story.

Quote:
    Hmm I thought it was quite horrific at times, and it certainly frightened the Tiglets. The acid bath and the nooses upset them both especially. So although not physically violent the torturous scenes were quite disturbing.
    Yes, the end of the 5th Doctor's era and all of Colin's can be quite grim at times. Not all of it, not always, but it can be quite unpleasant at times. Which is why it's such an interesting contrast to have such a theatrical Doctor in such a bright and colourful costume amidst such grim imagery.

And, as you rightly say, it's not about what things look like, it's about how they're treated. The laser torturing Jason Connery is a spot light, but the way all the characters in the story react to it make it something quite nasty.

Quote:
    I was very fond of CB (why the TCB?) and I found his Doctor quite endearing.
    Another "yay".

As for "TCB", therein lies a tale. A year and a bit ago SFX magazine published a review of a Doctor Who podcast (who I won't name, because they're idiots and don't deserve to be remembered by name) and gave it 3 stars. The people who do the podcast were outraged that their work of genius only got 3/5 stars and registered on the forum to complain. They spammed the forums, and were again outraged when we didn't welcome them with open arms, but instead mocked them mercilessly. A couple of people listened to a couple of their podcasts and found them to be deeply unfunny, but also often sexist, homophobic and racist. This caused the member of SFX staff who had reviewed the podcast to listen to a few more of the podcasts and announce that he was changing his review to 1 star, announcing this both on the message board, and on the magazine's blog. It had been policy to listen to 2 or 3 episodes of a podcast before reviewing it, and this policy was now being changed.

What's this got to do with TCB, I hear you ask. Well, in amongst the silly things that they claimed about how good their podcast was, was that it must be good because it had been endorsed by (and I quote) "THE Colin Baker". Some people found the so-called endorsement on their site, and discovered it was a fairly generic message from TCB, the kind that he'd record for any casual fan at a convention. A forum member contacted TCB about this so-called endorsement, and also included links to the homophobic, racist, etc. content. TCB wrote back saying that it was deplorable that they'd taken his name in vain like that, and that he in no way wanted to be associated with something like that podcast. Not long after this point, the people who made the podcast not only were banned from the SFX website, but realised that they were now on to a loser, and shut down their podcast, too.

But the thing that really came from it is, as I'm sure you know, forums can be places of great conflict. For some reason Doctor Who forums can be even more so than usual. Well, during the weeks that the podcast guys were around, everybody on the SFX{/i] forum, without exception, pulled together as a community to ward off the invaders. 90% of people had TCB avatars or talked about ketchup and mash in their signatures (the podcast guys seemed to think that British people ate ketchup and mash), and everybody had a great time taking these two idiots apart.

And it's become something of a religion/cult of personality over there. If you go to the SFX forums, you'll see that many people still have a reference to TCB in their avatar or sig (I have this image). Us followers are known as "Bakerlytes", and anything praiseworthy is met with a "ketchup be upon him!". It's also the first rule that there is no such thing as heresy - everybody is free to worship THE Colin in whichever way they wish or, indeed, not at all. Furthermore, a fair few people who had been joining in just for fun heard people like me eulogising about how much we liked the 6th Doctor and how much of a thoroughly nice man TCB was in real life and so threw off their preconceptions of the 6th Doctor gained from fan wisdom and watched old episodes - genuinely falling in love with him themselves.

And do you want to know the really cool thing? Quite a few people from the forum have met TCB since the whole thing started and, while he was initially a bit bemused by it all, he's flattered and thinks it's all a bit of a laugh. He's also more than happy to sign anything as "THE Colin Baker", if you ask him to. Ketchup be upon him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers!!!!!
    There's an American mystery writer, Sue Grafton, whose books are titled "A" Is for Alibi, "B" Is for Burglar, "C" Is for Corpse, etc.

She's up to "U" now. I've always wondered what she'll do if she changes her mind about ending the series with "Z"

As for us, we could always use the names of actors who were "definitely" going to be the Doctor according to the tabloids and keep going forever.

Just like Doctor Who!!!!:D

here is Trollfaces explanation from Part 2 (or Troughton) of the thread :)

>Snip<

And do you want to know the really cool thing? Quite a few people from the forum have met TCB since the whole thing started and, while he was initially a bit bemused by it all, he's flattered and thinks it's all a bit of a laugh. He's also more than happy to sign anything as "THE Colin Baker", if you ask him to. Ketchup be upon him.

Yes Ketchup be upon him indeed!!!:D
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WooHoo! Thanks mods for the new thread. :D

We made it.

I dedicate this thread to Trollface, who himself is a dedicated CB fan. :D
    Forum Member
    Ketchup be upon THE Colin Baker :) I had forgotten this story.

Before I begin babbling away about The Writer's Tale, could those who are reading it tell me where they are in it, or if anyone wants to read it but hasn't begun it.
    I don't want, well not to spoil it, as we all obviously know what will happen (sorry to break it to you if you didn't know, but RTD leaves to America and DT leaves the show ;), but talk about something one of us hasn't read yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggs ! Back to being OP ! And we are part C. Baker and not THE Colin Baker :cry:
    Ah, too bad, but let's get the crates of champagne out

Oops, I forgot : Change my dear, and not a moment too soon

Cheers Solamenn. :D
    Ah! THE Colin Baker

Oh yes ketchup be upon him. ;)
    wooooo hoooooo!!!!:D And Tiggs being the OP again!!! Full circle....First in Jan 2009...and now Jan 2010!!! Brilliant!!!

And just wanted to say, as I didn't want to add to the Davison thread with the fear of ending up as OP:o...but Muttley said that Part Hartnell was the longest thread we had...and it just made me think...just like those who grew up watching the first Doctor, did any of us ever think we would get to the sixth regeneration of this wonderful thread?????:) Here is to the Future!!!!

I never thought I'd still be here, let alone part CB. I must admit I'm just here for the social life now. :D It's much better than my real life one. :D

"Aa" is for Aardvark? :D Mind you not sure where those stories would go.

Or actors who we'd like to be the Doctor. :D
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats Tigger on being OP again!

This thread is endorsed by THE Colin Baker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Before I begin babbling away about The Writer's Tale, could those who are reading it tell me where they are in it, or if anyone wants to read it but hasn't begun it.
    I don't want, well not to spoil it, as we all obviously know what will happen (sorry to break it to you if you didn't know, but RTD leaves to America and DT leaves the show ;), but talk about something one of us hasn't read yet.

I've only read up to chapter one. But I'll try and skip the parts you all talk about. Don't expect you to wait for me. Eternity is a very long time. ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats Tigger on being OP again!

This thread is endorsed by THE Colin Baker.

Thank you, thank you. I'm proud as punch to be here.

I must go and put dinner on, all this excitement has distracted me.
  • kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whooohoo new thready goodness welcome to the new thread Part C Baker i love you !
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Speaking of ketchup, there's apparently a line in "The Fellowship of the Ring",
    Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

This has been parodied (I assume) as "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

I think "catsup" is probably the most appalling word in the English language you can say before the watershed. I always assumed it was an American vulgarisation, but research indicates it was first used by Jonathan Swift!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ket2.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    WooHoo! Thanks mods for the new thread. :D

We made it.

I dedicate this thread to Trollface, who himself is a dedicated CB fan.

Yes and even converted many of us with his great knowledge of TCB era!!!!!:D

:eek::cry:

Seriously though, I haven't got my hands on my copy yet, but I have no issue with anyone talking about it without spoiler tags. As one it will only get me more excited about getting it, but on top of that, I have read the last WT three times now, and each time (just like an RTD story;)) I feel totally engrossed in it, and feels like I am reading it for the first time again!!!:)
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Cheers Solamenn.

Oh yes ketchup be upon him.

I never thought I'd still be here, let alone part CB. I must admit I'm just here for the social life now. It's much better than my real life one.

Same here!!!!!!:D A bit like the LINDA gang, who all gatherd together for the Doctor and then stayed for the fun!!!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here!!!!!!:D A bit like the LINDA gang, who all gatherd together for the Doctor and then stayed for the fun!!!!:D

Oh I loved the idea of the LINDA gang and that we are very similar. Not that I've been out tracking down the Doctor. No Siree, not me. :D
    Forum Member
    One leaves and learns. I didn't know all those things about ketchup ;)

The Writer's Tale, by mid-chapter 2 (more or less)

I am currently reading chapter 2. I left it when RTD had just imagined the meeting scene in Partners in Crime. I had a big smile on my face.
    Penny would have been interesting, but I'm glad CT said yes and we didn't have another love story between the Doctor and his companion.
    I've been really interested in RTD's religious opinion, and I'll have to rewatch Gridlock bearing that in mind. Maybe I'll manage to connect more with the episode, but I'm really not sure of it.
    Most of all, I've loved all his complaining and kind of self-loathing : I don't want to make an abusive generalization but it seems that TV writers are just the same than literature writers ;) All twisted inside, and full of inertia and creative lightnings, and self-loathing, and huge egos, all and their contrary. I don't do psychology and I'd never apply psychology to a literary work (that would be blasphemy to me) but I'm sure it's because of those twists in themselves that they can create.
    Forum Member

Cool ! Do we all bring music instruments tomorrow ? ;)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...since you all seem to have forgotten....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvAenK95PfQ

*sniffs*

Bye bye part Davison you'll always be the best!

:D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One leaves and learns. I didn't know all those things about ketchup ;)

The Writer's Tale, by mid-chapter 2 (more or less)

I am currently reading chapter 2. I left it when RTD had just imagined the meeting scene in Partners in Crime. I had a big smile on my face.
    Penny would have been interesting, but I'm glad CT said yes and we didn't have another love story between the Doctor and his companion.

I totally agree, I love the bit where he describes how Penny now just walks past the blue box and never meets the doctor.....but yet not sure that I agree with the view that Ten would have been ready for another love interest post series 3.

And yes the description of what became one of the most memorable scenes on all of DW is brilliant to read as well.

One thing I love about the way he writes in e-mail is that it comes across exactly how he talks, don't you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Hmmm...since you all seem to have forgotten....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvAenK95PfQ

*sniffs*

Bye bye part Davison you'll always be the best!

:D

Well, I suppose it had a kind of f eckless charm ;)

Bet this one is MUCH more colourful :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I totally agree, I love the bit where he describes how Penny now just walks past the blue box and never meets the doctor.....but yet not sure that I agree with the view that Ten would have been ready for another love interest post series 3.

And yes the description of what became one of the most memorable scenes on all of DW is brilliant to read as well.

One thing I love about the way he writes in e-mail is that it comes across exactly how he talks, don't you think?

I got the first edition last year, and have ordered the new one (which STILL hasn't been dispatched by Waterstones - BARROWMAN!!!!! *shakes fist*) With you lot all quoting, it is testing my will power not to break out the original :)
This discussion has been closed.