ITV 3/4 Forever on loop

jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am beginning to think that all the exciting archive programmes ITV3/4 were originally filled with were just an enticement for people to buy Freeview boxes without the government having to pay out a penny in boxes for flogging off our airwaves.
As since, those original programmes as we know are now on continuous loop playing over and over again?

Does anyone know if we are going to get any new 'old' programmes?
If its all just down to the recession than I am sure many will agree , we don't mind B/W programmes
NO REALLY WE DON'T MIND B/W DO WE ?

Comments

• tim123tim123 Posts: 3,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am beginning to think that all the exciting archive programmes ITV3/4 were originally filled with were just an enticement for people to buy Freeview boxes without the government having to pay out a penny in boxes for flogging off our airwaves.
    As since, those original programmes as we know are now on continuous loop playing over and over again?

If its all just down to the recession than I am sure many will agree , we don't mind B/W programmes

They're currently showing Kingdom. I think that's a new addition

tim
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

That sounds like a fairly accurate description of many digital channels to be honest.

Very few new programmes, and the same old ones going around on a loop.

At least ITV 4 does show some sport, and the two channels are Free-to-air which is nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldnt agree more - Morse, Poirot, On the Buses - I think I could almost narrate the scripts myself and more recently Darling Buds of May. Just a few of the series that have been done to death on ITV3. Just last weekend they had yet another Poirot weekend. I realise that ITV have funding problems but some new old programmes are called for before viewers turn off all together with all the lost advertising revenue that would follow.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Dramarama
    Follyfoot
    Worzel Gummidge
    That's my boy
    Constant hot water
    Famous Five
    Metal Mickey

If they're having trouble filling up a few hours, they could even show a historic "TV-AM" in the morning. "On this day in history". These days, they'd even manage to fill the advertising slots - unlike the original operator.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I think ITV3 should be like the old granada plus channel with a good mix of classic itv dramas and sitcoms from their archives.

ITV4 is fine the way it is with its good shows aimed for men like sports and classic british cop shows.

Maybe men and motors should be done away with because some of the shows they show at night would be better placed on ITV3 or 4 and the quite low sky epg position dosent help it either.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of money due to the fall in advertising revenue and the fact it's cheaper to show repeats than make new programmes. Same could be said for most digital channels that aren't based around news and sport. However, the re runs of Auf Wiedersehen Pet were very welcome last year as I hadn't seen the second series since the eighties.
  • Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiDi wrote: »
    I couldnt agree more - Morse, Poirot, On the Buses - I think I could almost narrate the scripts myself and more recently Darling Buds of May. Just a few of the series that have been done to death on ITV3. Just last weekend they had yet another Poirot weekend. I realise that ITV have funding problems but some new old programmes are called for before viewers turn off all together with all the lost advertising revenue that would follow.

While some of the regularly repeated programming has been "done to death" on ITV3, they must be doing something right as they are the second most watched digital only channel after ITV2. And ITV4 is also in the top ten most watched digital only channels.

I can not understand where people are coming from when it is stated that no new archive material is added to ITV3. This year alone, the following programmes are being shown on ITV3 for the first time in ages (if at all).

Murder in Suburbia.
    Mr Bean.
    The Grand.
    Numb3rs (Series 5).
    Kingdom.
    Doc Martin (Later Series).
    Taggart (Later Series).
    The Bill (Narrative Repeats).

While there are many classics I would personally love to see on ITV3, I think they are doing a good job. And not many broadcasters can boast getting over 1million viewers for a repeated programme on a digital only channel.