Dragons Den and Out

pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems there may be big changes ahead for Dragon's Den

TV Dragons face slaying
News Of The World
By Dan Wootton, Showbiz Editor, 15/08/2010

The BBC is secretly plotting a shake-up of the hit show that could signal the Dragons' End for James Caan, Theo Paphitis and Deborah Meaden.

But Peter Jones and Duncan Bannatyne - the most wealthy dragons - are likely to be safe.

Bosses of the BBC2 series are in the process of recruiting a number of new dragons to judge next year.

A telly insider told us: "The producers are planning a big overhaul of the show.

"They're approaching a lot of new businessmen and women - they'd like some younger millionaires and more women on the panel too."

Internet entrepreneur James Simpson - the boyfriend of model Sophie Anderton - is one of the big business names approached to join the show.

The 28-year-old tycoon was recently named among the 50 richest young people in Britain by the Sunday Times Rich List.

Our source said: "He's exactly the sort of dragon they want. He's young, self-made and would bring glamour to the panel."

The show, currently in its seventh season, sees entrepreneurs pitch business ideas to the panel who decide if they want to invest.

Last night a spokesman for the BBC said: "It is far too early to talk about the next series and any comment on who the Dragons may be is nothing more than pure speculation."
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pierre says-:
I do hope that the rather sour and sneering Deborah is gone and smug Theo also goes :cool:

Comments

• Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Our source said: "He's exactly the sort of dragon they want. He's young, self-made and would bring glamour to the panel."

FFS what the hell has glamour got to do with this programme? Dragon's Den is one of the few programmes I actually watch and enjoy - If they ruin it I will not be happy :mad:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James and Deborah would be welcome to go - but I'd be sorry to see Theo leave. He seems as if he'd be, by far, the easiest Dragon to work with.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe a word of it anyway. If they wanted to glam up the show, the first person to go would be Evan Davis.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    "Our source said: "He's exactly the sort of dragon they want. He's young, self-made and would bring glamour to the panel."

FFS what the hell has glamour got to do with this programme? Dragon's Den is one of the few programmes I actually watch and enjoy - If they ruin it I will not be happy :mad:

I think the BBC need to tread very carefully with this. I'm not sure quite why they need to tinker with the line-up - I appreciate that things change and people come and go, but again we have evidence of their obsession with youth and 'glamour'. I can foresee another ageism/sexism row if they get rid of Meaden and keep Jones and Bannatyne.
  • xRHBxxRHBx Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Yet another example of the TV industry's approach of "If it ain't broke - BREAK IT!" Dragon's Den is probably the only non-fiction show I watch, it was bad enough when they got shot of Richard Farleigh simply because they thought the line-up was too white, but this sounds bloody awful.
  • sugapunksugapunk Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't turn Dragon's Den into The X Factor!
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Don't think they should even be thinking of getting rid of Theo, he is by far the most likeable dragon and who is going to break the stupid products that some people bring on the show
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Peter and Duncan have had 8 series. Theo 7. Deborah 6 and James 4. Perhaps it is time for a change. I'd been expecting at least James to go after his big bust up with Duncan.

I wonder if this has been on the cards for a little while. Peter suddenly seemed to become very pally with Duncan prior to this years filming.

I'll be sad to see Theo go. If they got rid of James and Deborah I could stomach that but Theo?!
  • jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    James and Deborah would be welcome to go - but I'd be sorry to see Theo leave. He seems as if he'd be, by far, the easiest Dragon to work with.

i agree
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't think the Dragons Den should be on BBC tv. The licence fee pays for the show and therefore licence fee payers pay for their salary. Licence fee payers are paying millionaires to appear on a show. Hmm. Seems a bit morally questionable, that. Also, if their fee is quite high, they can use it to pay for at least one deal per series. I think the show should be on commercial tv like ITV1, Ch4 or Ch5.

As for new Dragons, well, I doubt changing the line-up will make much difference to the show. But a change is as good a rest - or so they say. ;)
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,698
    Forum Member
    I've gone off the whole idea of Dragon's Den since I heard Levi Roots say that he was approached to go on the show and not the other way around
    (interview on Something for the Weekend last week)

If they recruit the applicants, it's not the show it purports to be.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I've gone off the whole idea of Dragon's Den since I heard Levi Roots say that he was approached to go on the show and not the other way around
    (interview on Something for the Weekend last week)

If they recruit the applicants, it's not the show it purports to be.

You mean parts of the show are manufactured and not as real as they claim it to be? Interesting! The secret is revealed. ;)

I guess all reality tv - and I suppose Dragons Den falls into that bracket - is a bit fake or manipulated. If the show's producers actually look for investors and ask them to come on the show it does make you wonder how real it is.

I remember watching the early series of The Apprentice and thinking Sugar's real office was in central London and his secretary was genuine. But it wasn't. It turned out to be a fake tv boardroom and fake secretary. Oh well.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if James Caan is still around for the next series, but I would imagine the others are pretty safe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh. The panel is absolutely fine as it is.

TV producers strike me as a jittery, simple-minded lot. Always itching for the next chance to revamp, thinking the grass will greener on the other side. They need to realise that shows have natural lifespans and fiddling with them doesn't do much to alter that.

Removing Theo would be a particularly stupid move.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan has said on his twitter the story isn't true according to the producers so we'll see.
  • LycallesLycalles Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Duncan has said on his twitter the story isn't true according to the producers so we'll see.

I hope the producers didn't lie to him as I like the panel at the moment.
  • theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have to keep Theo and Peter in my view. Bannatyne get's grumpier and grumpier every series and hardly invests in anything. Theo's one liners are priceless, and as others have said - his ability to destroy crap products is great too.

It might be time to freshen up the panel a bit - but maybe a cull might not be the best way. Best to do it slowly over a few series.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,698
    Forum Member
    floopy123 wrote: »
    You mean parts of the show are manufactured and not as real as they claim it to be? Interesting! The secret is revealed. ;)

I guess all reality tv - and I suppose Dragons Den falls into that bracket - is a bit fake or manipulated. If the show's producers actually look for investors and ask them to come on the show it does make you wonder how real it is.

Well I never kidded myself it was all 100% but I was surprised to hear someone come out and say straight from the hip that they were recruited. Someone made the point earlier about whether the programme's really fitting for the BBC guidelines and brief and I think it crosses the line in a case like that.

Did he?
    I stopped following him. I put up with all his pre-election carping at James Caan, which verged on harassment IMO (If Caan had let himself feel harassed) but his constant stream of advertising by re-tweeting every comment about enjoying his gyms or accommodation or his book are so relentless I decided 'for that reason, I'm out' :D
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think the Dragons Den should be on BBC tv. The licence fee pays for the show and therefore licence fee payers pay for their salary. Licence fee payers are paying millionaires to appear on a show. Hmm. Seems a bit morally questionable,
    Perhaps, but

a) One of the reasons that DD is so successful is precisely because such millionaire (i,e, successful) entrepreneurs appear, entrepreneurs who have made their money by shrewd investment decisions within their particular sectors of interest.

b) Other very wealthy people (some of whom are indeed millionaires) are also paid to appear in, or to front several programmes on TV & radio. They are paid for their skills, power to attract viewers.
    Also, if their fee is quite high, they can use it to pay for at least one deal per series.
    So what is their fee then? And the money that they already use when investing is their own money anyway
    I think the show should be on commercial tv like ITV1, Ch4 or Ch5.
    The commercial broadcasters did not go with the idea, the BBC took the chance and it was a hit with the viewers. Commercial broadcasters should be competent enough in finding their own unique formats.

As for new Dragons, well, I doubt changing the line-up will make much difference to the show. But a change is as good a rest - or so they say. ;)
    It might bring a new investment angle though. What is important is that the five Dragons together can properly represent (and therefore know about) all sectors of industry.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems contrary to the producers asking for applicants then, and requesting quite a great deal of information:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/apply/

Perhaps Levi Roots' "being approached" is part of the shortlisting process as detailed at the bottom of that very comprehensive application form:
    "Unfortunately due to the high number of applicants only those people who are shortlisted will be contacted. However, we do consider all applications carefully".

Or maybe he was indeed approached because someone did think that his idea showed good potential (for the show, and for him)
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »

Anyone who goes out with Sophie Anderton needs their head read - the most self obsessed women in the world imo. :(

Not the sharpest move, hope his business decisions are better.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mijath wrote: »
    Ugh. The panel is absolutely fine as it is.

TV producers strike me as a jittery, simple-minded lot. Always itching for the next chance to revamp, thinking the grass will greener on the other side. They need to realise that shows have natural lifespans and fiddling with them doesn't do much to alter that.

Removing Theo would be a particularly stupid move.

I don't think it is personally. James Caan is too wet, even when he makes offers of less equity he is losing out!! So he needs to go as no one has any faith in him and he's a bit nice. See Daily Mail story from today re James.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303097/Dragons-Den-winner-reveals-80k-promise-fact-loan--26-500-emerged.html

Deborah just reminds me of a business studies teacher, so obsessed with showing applicants how tough and hard she is that we have to go throught the same rigmarole every time she gets to question people, getting very boring now.

Theo is "okay" but again he makes out he is Bil Gates when he is just a shop owner. Has anyone here ever even been in a Rymans? Mrs P and kids inheritance gags aside I don't think he would be any great loss.

Don't like Peter or Duncan (don't think you're meant to are ya?) but their rudeness and sense of humour makes them good viewing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    IMO, Deborah is the best dragon at the moment.She usually talks the most sense. Honestly, I wouldn't mind any of the others going.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Duncan and James spat came after Sharon cancelled the contract with them. It is basically all down to James and his part of the £40,000 so called investment which turned out to be a loan. The book that Sharon has also wrote to be released about her time with the Dragons etc has the backing of the rest of the Dragons except James.

If you read the article James's spokeman has apparently said that if James is seen in a good light they he would back the book as well. In other words if the truth doesn't get out which it now will.

Alos to get on the Tv apart from the application form they also send out people out to look for new products.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    I'm one of the few who like Deborah and I think she adds a lot to the panel. James could go and he wouldn't be missed much as he doesn't make much of an impact IMO.