Options

Disturbing books you've read.

Comments

• Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cythna wrote: »
    Peter Ackroyd's 'Hawksmoor' freaked me out so much that I kept it in the shed.

I did that with Cold Comfort Farm...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    The Survivor, by James Herbert. I read this waaaay too young, same as with The Fog and The Rats, but this was the one that really freaked me out. I can't talk about what happens without giving too much away, but it's about a horrific plane crash and what happens afterwards.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Survivor, by James Herbert. I read this waaaay too young, same as with The Fog and The Rats, but this was the one that really freaked me out. I can't talk about what happens without giving too much away, but it's about a horrific plane crash and what happens afterwards.

I agree with you on this being the superior one of Herbert's earlier novels. It was written a few years after Rats and Fog, and it shows, as it is better written than the earlier books and Herbert's style has matured into a more subtle form of horror, that relies more on psychological fear than overt gore.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you on this being the superior one of Herbert's earlier novels. It was written a few years after Rats and Fog, and it shows, as it is better written than the earlier books and Herbert's style has matured into a more subtle form of horror, that relies more on psychological fear than overt gore.

'Domain' quite freaked me out, more because of the subject matter than anything.

'Rats' I had two goes at, because it was a book my dad had bought and I picked up. When I asked mum what gonorrhea meant, the book was snatched away. I was about nine at the time. So years later I picked up again and read it.

'The Last Family in England' caught me right at the end and made me feel really bad. It wasn't scary/sick/weird or anything like that it is just the the ending made me just wish I hadn't read it.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Last Breath by Stephen Booth is based on a true story of a caver who died in Peak Cavern and his body is still there to this day - that gave me the shivers, particularly reading the true version of events after reading the book.

Plus I live in the Peak District so I found it all very dark and disturbing.

It's still worth reading though as long as you don't suffer from claustrophobia.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another by James Herbert - Others.

It is by far his least frightening book - to me anyway. But the plot and subject matter are by far the most disturbing I've ever read in any of his books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin is excellent, but not to be read by any person expecting a child!x
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One i read quite recently was Sinema - The Northumberland Massacre (Rod Glenn)....definately a creepy and disturbing book...and the sequel was just as bad ! :eek:
  • Options
    slimcea girlslimcea girl Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    We Need to Talk About Kevin- Lionel Shriver
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for American Psycho. I never did quite understand though, why he never got caught?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was pretty disturbed by 'Horns' by Joe Hill. I think the memory of that book has stayed with me longer than most
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    We Need to Talk About Kevin- Lionel Shriver

Good one.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wetlands by Charlotte Roche - disturbing that someone should write something so rubbish (book is about a girl's obsession with her lady parts and sex) and that it should be seen as feminist.

Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite - graphic and v.disturbing
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for American Psycho. I never did quite understand though, why he never got caught?

Probably because most of the things he did were in his head.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Probably because most of the things he did were in his head.

See, this was the conclusion I was coming to at one point in the story, but then he started taking out his secretary and
    changed my mind when she came in to work the next day with a black eye (iirc)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See, this was the conclusion I was coming to at one point in the story, but then he started taking out his secretary and
    changed my mind when she came in to work the next day with a black eye (iirc)

Most but not all. It's a long time since I read it and I thought it was drivel. I think I gave it away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    My most disturbing book by far is House of Dolls by Ka - Tzetnik.
    Well over sixty years since its first publication and like most if not all books on the subject matter of the treatment of the Jewish peoples this book should be read. That is what I find to be most disturbing.
    Characters being eaten by rats, raped by chainsaws or other such graphic horror is not truely disturbing, gruesome yes but far from the true horror of man's inhumanity to man.
  • Options
    gogglegirlgogglegirl Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Michel Faber - Under the Skin. Excellent book, subject matter is not what you expect on first reading. Definitely disturbing in parts, and a good one for book clubs I think ... will certainly encourage debate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I was pretty disturbed by 'Horns' by Joe Hill. I think the memory of that book has stayed with me longer than most

Loved that book! I didn't find it that disturbing.

As someone else mentioned, Exquisite Corpse is really hard to stomach in places - that's probably the most disturbing book I've ever read.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wildhollie wrote: »
    One i read quite recently was Sinema - The Northumberland Massacre (Rod Glenn)....definately a creepy and disturbing book...and the sequel was just as bad ! :eek:
    Vile book. No idea how it got so many 5*s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Ordinary Men - Christopher Browning.

The true story of a special police detachment from Hamburg sent into Russia and their ever so slow progress from humanity to inhumanity.

I found it chilling: when you place yourself in their situation you realize that its so easy to take a tiny step with the flow rather than stand up. And once you've taken one tiny step, there is another and another......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Trapped by Jack Kilborn & J.A. Konrath

I love listening to audiobooks on holiday (saves on the old arms and squint lines!) so downloaded this as it was on the site's 5 Star list. It was probably the most disturbing, horrific book I've ever listened to (or read) and lots of (to me) gratuitous violence but it was sort of addictive in that I couldn't stop listening to it either, I wanted to know what happened.

Apparently, it's the long-awaited follow-up to Afraid, one of the most horrifying books ever written. It was meant to be published in paperback in 2010 but, after reading the 1st version of it, the publisher refused to release it. After extensive changes, the publisher still refused. I can only find it as an audiobook and for Kindle so maybe a hard-copy publisher hasn't taken it on. Not surprised!
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    The Boy in the Striped Pijamas - emotionally drainig
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much everything by Daphne Du Maurier, especially "The Birds". Very creepy :eek:
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetbones by John Shirley