Options

American Horror Story. FX UK pace (Spoilers in tags please)

Comments

• Options
    philleesphillees Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Quite a mess of a pilot,

Really, in what way ?
    It started from the beginning, gave us a brief history of the building and the marital issues of the present owners. Introduced all of the main players all in one episode. I'd say its set it up nicely and can only go down hill from now on.

Just my thoughts anyway. ;)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The all over the place editing came across as too gimmicky to me, and didn't quite work for me, it just didn't flow. I felt they tried to get too many cliched concepts in one episode. I don't have a problem with dense plotting, but to me this came across as if they were trying too hard. Too much style over content, but given the creator's previous work I'm not that surprised about that.

As I said, it's only the pilot episode. Many series have a so so pilot and go on to become good shows. Hopefully this will be one of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that is started on UK tv now then? i think we need to make sure everyone watching US pace needs to make sure we dont give away whats happening to those watching UK pace

This thread needs to be renamed. I'm watching at US pace and I thought this was a thread for people at that pace. Obviously reading a few posts cleared that up though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. The pilot ep of AHS was a mixed bag.

Pros:
    *The actors playing the Mom (Connie Britton) ... were good.

If you like Connie Brittons acting check out Friday Night Lights.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I liked it, even though it didn't seem to have a single original idea and was full of every haunted house horror movie cliche in the book. I also have doubts that it'll manage to sustain it's story over the course of 13 episodes (or longer if it gets a second season) without getting "samey", most haunted house horror movies barely last 90 minutes afterall. Despite that, it WAS fairly well done, i did enjoy it, and i will be back next week.

The creators have stated that they may:
    have a new family move into
    the house in the next season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    The creators have stated that they may:
    have a new family move into
    the house in the next season.
    Hmmmm, i'm not sure that would solve the issue of story repetition though. We'd essentially just be getting a very similar story with a different set of actors. To be honest, i don't think i'd watch the second season if that's what they intend to do.
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the pilot episode. It's from the makers of Glee so how about merging the two programs in a story arc that see's the cast of Glee move into "the house" and having been guilty of murdering many rock and pop classics, the "Gleeks" fall victim one by one to ever increasingly gruesome ends. I'd watch that !!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh I taped it and was getting settled into watching it only for it to finish taping right at the end!!! Last scene was an arm (I assume it was Jessica Lange's character) in the Mother's jewellery box taking earrings....can anyone fill in the blanks pretty please?

I think I'm going to really like this programme :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh I taped it and was getting settled into watching it only for it to finish taping right at the end!!! Last scene was an arm (I assume it was Jessica Lange's character) in the Mother's jewellery box taking earrings....can anyone fill in the blanks pretty please?

I think I'm going to really like this programme :)
    Constance (Jessica Lange) takes the earings but is interupted when trying them on by Moira the Maid who says to put them back.

Constance says that Moira will probably get blamed for it and tells her to get out of the way. As she passes Moira she says to her "Don't make me kill you again".

The Final scene is then the Wife telling her husband that she is pregnant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Forsooth! Ye image of
    Goodman Dylan McDermott polishing his trouser-sword shall haunt this knight for many moons to come!

However, 'twas many a scene that this knight founde eerie and most unsettling!

This post now concludeth!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think the Harmons' daughter Violet looks like the alt-rock singer Joanna
    Newsom? (All vintage hats and flowery dresses).

http://www.showbizjunkies.com/tv/american-horror-story/

http://milkymoon.fromamouth.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=109

It makes sense- a teenage girl who doesn't want to look like the B**chy Cheerleader
    element in her scholl would probably dress like Newsom rather than Katy Perry or Ke$ha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it but whether it will keep my attention for a whole season is another thing. Would probably work better as a mini-series than a whole one.
  • Options
    Loracan1Loracan1 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    It was all very odd, bit disjointed in parts, some of it quite creepy, I'm reserving judgement but could get to like it a lot.

It reminded me of Twin Peaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Constance (Jessica Lange) takes the earings but is interupted when trying them on by Moira the Maid who says to put them back.

Constance says that Moira will probably get blamed for it and tells her to get out of the way. As she passes Moira she says to her "Don't make me kill you again".

The Final scene is then the Wife telling her husband that she is pregnant.

Thank you :) Interesting!!
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    If you like Connie Brittons acting check out Friday Night Lights.

I thought her acting was verrrry bad, especially the scene where she meets Jessica Lange's character for the first time...I was cringing for her! Other than that...not bad, though a trifle odd for my tastes
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Great second episode..."Don't Shrink Me"

House seems to be a Magnet for Crazy People....the Hammon's, being one.

Flashback to 68, was very good...but scary.

But not much Moira, this week.

And that Lift Nightmare......I thought everyone has that one.:eek:

"OK, spit in it"
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The all over the place editing came across as too gimmicky to me, and didn't quite work for me, it just didn't flow. I felt they tried to get too many cliched concepts in one episode. I don't have a problem with dense plotting, but to me this came across as if they were trying too hard. Too much style over content, but given the creator's previous work I'm not that surprised about that.

As I said, it's only the pilot episode. Many series have a so so pilot and go on to become good shows. Hopefully this will be one of them.

This series Really picks up after the pilot episode (although I enjoyed that as well). I can't wait to download the next episode Thursday.
  • Options
    sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed episode 2, have not read any spoilers or anything so this is purely speculation to prompt discussion, but does anyone else think that Tate is the evil spirit in the house? I reckon he either died there or is the early re-incarnation of Constance's husband or something.
  • Options
    gogglegirlgogglegirl Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this .... think it is genuinely creepy. Like all the leading characters and whilst I agree with some previous posters that some of it is cliched, I think it's done well. Loved the end of the 2nd episode!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed episode 2, have not read any spoilers or anything so this is purely speculation to prompt discussion, but does anyone else think that Tate is the evil spirit in the house? I reckon he either died there or is the early re-incarnation of Constance's husband or something.

I'm wondering if (possible spoiler)
    Tate was the guy in the gimp suit who impregnated Connie.

I wonder what the baby will be like?

1/8 Damien from "The Omen"
    1/6 The creepy thing from "Eraserhead"
    1/4 The baby from the Ray Bradbury story
    that tries to kill its parents.
    1/2 Stewie from Family Guy.
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if (possible spoiler)
    Tate was the guy in the gimp suit who impregnated Connie.

I wonder what the baby will be like?

1/8 Damien from "The Omen"
    1/6 The creepy thing from "Eraserhead"
    1/4 The baby from the Ray Bradbury story
    that tries to kill its parents.
    1/2 Stewie from Family Guy.

Or Suri Cruise?

Too far?
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    must say I'm really enjoying this, although some of it (lift girl) makes me cringe!

There was a piece of music playing when the girls were sitting by the old swimming pool, does anyone know who it was? My recording finished a few seconds early so I didn't see the credits!
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in two minds about it so far. I've seen all the US eps so far and for me it's getting a bit ott and silly. I do like it but not sure on it long term
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    So last nights episode did some explaining, regards Moira & Constance, but that still leaves Larry and Tate and....
    But did that Detective, see the Young Moira too, when talking to Ben?

Loved the Eternal Darkness Tour..also that women from way back, still in the House....and how did Larry Dig that Hole...for what turned out to be a Tomb, of sorts.

With everything else in the House...that Door Bell Ringing, also scares me.
  • Options
    xtra_timextra_time Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    But did that Detective, see the Young Moira too, when talking to Ben?

Yes he did. I think it mentioned guys see her and woman see the old woman because they see the soul (or something like that)