UKTV Drama to launch - July 8th

Comments

• AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Looking on my freeview boxes EPG last night on GOLD & HOME & what do is but no programes listed but only the word close showing up all of next week. is it jest my box that is showing this up or is it a error.

GOLD is only on air 1100-1400 Mon-Thurs & 1200-1400 Friday
    Home is only on air for an hour a week, 1100-1200 Friday !

All the EPG entries for next week are there.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    GOLD is only on air 1100-1400 Mon-Thurs & 1200-1400 Friday
    Home is only on air for an hour a week, 1100-1200 Friday !

All the EPG entries for next week are there.

must be a error as the EPG entries on my box showed close. on the hours that these channels are on air.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    S4C is looking for more space for better quality too, which could slightly shake things up too! http://www.s4c.co.uk/e_press_level2.shtml?id=744

That's just them requesting full resolution - which is what they are entitled to and should have had all along. I'm glad they've finally realised (although as that was back in March it might have already been fixed?)

Nothing needs to move for this, it might just make some of the 3/4-res channels on that mux look even worse - but as there are 13(!) channels at 3/4-res on SDN, I doubt three full resolution and five 3/4-res ones on D3&4 will be a problem.
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advertising that Drama will be on Freeview channel 20. What happens to UK Gold which uses same LCN?
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advertising that Drama will be on Freeview channel 20. What happens to UK Gold which uses same LCN?

GOLD with either close (If top up is 100% going) or shift to 25/26.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame they let go of 29 (which UKTV Food was on)
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S4C is looking for more space for better quality too, which could slightly shake things up too! http://www.s4c.co.uk/e_press_level2.shtml?id=744

Just something else to add into the mix (As E4 is on Com4/Mux A whatever you call it now adays in Wales)

D3&4 have been operating in some regions with all 8 channels at full resolution and there's still probably enough null packets to squeeze in an extra channel. So it shouldn't be a major problem to do the same in Wales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC axed radio in Wales and moved it over, as it is now BBC funded, (Might save them a bit of cash, oh know I forgot this is the BBC!)
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOLD with either close (If top up is 100% going) or shift to 25/26.
    I would think Gold would do a straight swap with LCN 25 with Dave Ja Vu going, when Drama takes its mux capacity.

Even if TUTV goes I would think UKTV will want to keep the LCNs available for future use. so they have to broadcast something, Long term it would make sense to make Gold FTA as well (IMHO) as it is not a premium channel by any sense of the imagination.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true and with ESPN going and TUTV on the way out no matter what I might prefer there would be space for GOLD to go FTA and it would help UKTV make major inroads into freeview beyond their other services.

Alibi, Watch and Eden all equal up to a fairly solid pay side service and the rest could draw in extra viewers more income and greater market share (But I'm sure someone will confirm I am wrong about this)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC axed radio in Wales and moved it over, as it is now BBC funded, (Might save them a bit of cash, oh know I forgot this is the BBC!)

I'd normally be tempted to say that it's not the BBC's decision. Although with further government funding restrictions being put on S4C, it could be destined to become BBC Cymru.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/s4c-hugely-concerned-millions-pounds-4697537
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    I'd normally be tempted to say that it's not the BBC's decision. Although with further government funding restrictions being put on S4C, it could be destined to become BBC Cymru.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/s4c-hugely-concerned-millions-pounds-4697537
    Exactly I don't agree that this is correct but I think if people were asked they would prefer it to become BBC Cymru compared to it simply just closing down.

Getting back to the topic Drama, It will be interesting to see if Dave Ja Vu continues and if so on what channel! (Even if it goes back to 2 hours a day!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting back to the topic Drama, It will be interesting to see if Dave Ja Vu continues and if so on what channel! (Even if it goes back to 2 hours a day!)

It's interesting that the 2 hour slot wasn't left empty but was reallocated to Really. It wouldn't be too disruptive to reclaim the 2 hours from the teleshopping slot on Really but it depends if UKTV plans to make Really a 24 hour slot on freeview. Really now operates a 24/7 schedule on other platforms.

Logically, when the existing Dave Ja Vu closes, Gold will take its EPG slot and Drama will take Gold's EPG slot. There could be further changes ahead at the end of July, when we find out more about TUTV's future plans for the ESPN/Gold/Home streams.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    a516 says that Home is moving to Ch 54 and GOLD is moving to Ch 26 (although I don't know what the source of that info is).
    If that's true I expect Dave Ja Vu is staying for a couple of hours overnight.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    Very true and with ESPN going and TUTV on the way out no matter what I might prefer there would be space for GOLD to go FTA and it would help UKTV make major inroads into freeview beyond their other services.

Alibi, Watch and Eden all equal up to a fairly solid pay side service and the rest could draw in extra viewers more income and greater market share (But I'm sure someone will confirm I am wrong about this)

Sorry, TV Time Mike, UKTV GOLD is currently a subscription and advert revenue cash cow on Sky and Virgin Media and so it's highly unlikely to join Freeview and the same applies to Watch and Alibi too.

I'm not too bothered about that because UKTV are already kindly supplying us with Dave, Really, Yesterday and now Drama all free to air whereas Sky and Virgin Media customers have to pay for those same channels and that's not a bad deal overall! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    a516 says that Home is moving to Ch 54 and GOLD is moving to Ch 26 (although I don't know what the source of that info is).
    If that's true I expect Dave Ja Vu is staying for a couple of hours overnight.

The source is Broadcast Magazine... this does tend to suggest that Dave Ja Vu will be staying. Which also possibly means that it is unlikely that freeview will be getting the 24 hour extended programming now available on Really on other platforms.

Afterthought: ...unless the new Dave Ja Vu timeshares with the Drama channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, TV Time Mike, UKTV GOLD is currently a subscription and advert revenue cash cow on Sky and Virgin Media and so it's highly unlikely to join Freeview and the same applies to Watch and Alibi too.

It wouldn't make any difference to the cash cow as all of the UKTV channels are subscription channels on the pay platforms, including those on freeview.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    It wouldn't make any difference to the cash cow as all of the UKTV channels are subscription channels on the pay platforms, including those on freeview.

GOLD, Alibi and Watch are popular digital channels and they all doing very well for UKTV behind Sky and Virgin Media paywalls. That isn't going to change and they are not coming to Freeview.

The ones they have brought to Freeview have tended to be the poorer performing channels (such as Yesterday, Really) which get a great viewer boost from being on Freeview and the larger advert revenue stream thus gained compensates for the relatively poor subscription revenue. They are quite astutely getting the best of both worlds and if the by-product is a few more free to air channels for us to see then all well and good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are quite astutely getting the best of both worlds and if the by-product is a few more free to air channels for us to see then all well and good.

The point you are failing to grasp is that they continue to be subscription channels on pay platforms, they don't lose any subscription revenue by being on freeview.

The most likely reason for not bringing content to freeview is that they don't own FTA rights for some of their content. That could even be the case with Gold, FTA repeat rights could still be owned by the BBC for example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very good point, rather similar to the situation with shows like Rome and Band of Brothers, the BBC could broadcast them a couple of times free to air then they are only on pay TV due to selling rights and the fact HBO will want to get a reasonable return for their investment.

Still it's a shame as every so often GOLD has one or two good shows on or a few that just don't get repeated ever equally do I really want Only Fools and Horses again, I'm not sure but it could be worth it for Dinner Ladies, Sykes and Bread.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    a516 says that Home is moving to Ch 54 and GOLD is moving to Ch 26
    Drama as new channel forces Gold to move Home on the Freeview EPG

Probably one of his best ever headlines!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like UKTV lied as they said Drama would be an additional channel taking the number of UKTV channels to 11.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like UKTV lied as they said Drama would be an additional channel taking the number of UKTV channels to 11.
    Sorry, what's the lie? They indicated that it would replace the full-time Dave Ja Vu, which it is likely it still will, with a part-time version remaining, perhaps for a couple of hours in the middle of the night, as before.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could have got in a line about GOLD being devalued!