Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Let's be sensible about the likelihood of this outcome before we waste emotional energy on hope and expectation.

If it's not true I won't be the slightest bit surprised. More importantly I won't be disappointed.4

There are plenty of sad, sad people out there folks and they love the idea of building up your hopes to inject some purpose into your lives.

Be skeptical and you may be surprised. Get excited about it and you may be disappointed.

Let's all have a warm mug of cocoa and calm down.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    May I suggest that for anyone interested in Dr Who's missing episodes they read a book called Wiped - Doctor Who's missing episodes by Richard Molesworth. This extremely well researched book lists not only every country episodes were sold to, but which TV station broadcast them. It explains how lost episodes have been found and why they were "wiped" in the first place. Whilst not saying that no further missing episodes exist, it does come to the conclusion that those epsiodes still missing are very unlikely to ever be recoverded. In most instances this because a particular story was never sold abroad but was disposed of by the BBC

I've got this book, and yes, it is a enjoyable read. :) I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who and have been for eight years, now. I've got every 'Who' DVD release from the classic years. Also every DVD from 'New Who' era.

I've got action figures, books, tea mugs, annuals, key rings and calendars of Doctor Who, as well as every issue (since Sept 2009), of the Doctor Who Magazine. The first issue I bought had Peter Davison on the front, and contained the results of the top 200 stories, classic and new.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    The thing is given the BBC's track record of keeping secrets in more recent times I find it hard to imagine that they would be able to keep something like this secret for so long. I would have thought there would be more concrete leaks by now rather than just rumours...
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    It does seem to be nothing but wishful thinking. If they were saying that a couple of episodes were found then maybe but dozens is just bollocks really.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member
    It does seem to be nothing but wishful thinking. If they were saying that a couple of episodes were found then maybe but dozens is just bollocks really.

Just as likely to find many episodes as find one, especially if the rumoured find is from a TV station.

This rumour certainly seems to have staying power which makes me think there's something in this. If it's true, we'll know this year as they'd definitely release the news in the anniversary year (so if we've heard nothing by December then it's a false rumour).
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    This rumour certainly seems to have staying power which makes me think there's something in this. .

I'd like to think so too but is there really anything more to it than a morphed version of rumours which have been around for a decade and more? Its current persistence is perhaps more down to the generally increased interest in the show due to it being the 50th.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB have told everyone to cool off from the BC news... Which is interesting in itself...
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stopped believing. There are no more episodes left to find.once underwater menace 2 is out on DVD that is it. The end.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    Just as likely to find many episodes as find one, especially if the rumoured find is from a TV station.

Well except that some of tge supposedly recovered episdoes weren't even sold to the country they've supposedly been found in.
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rumour is that it was an eccentric sci-fi loving tv engineer travelling around African stations collecting Doctor who episodes

Ok just read the article, see thats mentioned there, but the number being mentioned is as many as 60 episodes.

Would love this to be true, but its very doubtful
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The thing is given the BBC's track record of keeping secrets in more recent times I find it hard to imagine that they would be able to keep something like this secret for so long. I would have thought there would be more concrete leaks by now rather than just rumours...

I'm sure this rumour is just wishful thinking, but if a story on this scale were able to be kept secret then I guess the reasoning would simply be that no celebrities are involved with it. So the scene on which newspapers most focus their information wouldn't yield any news, and there's nobody official to put a suitable question to.

Conversely something like Matt leaving would be much harder to cover up because he's taking alternative work, at least his costar is in on the secret, it'd quickly become obvious if they started filming a new series and he wasn't going along to the shoots, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was inevitable that being the 50th anniversary year we were going to have rumours of missing episodes being found . Had it been just a couple of episodes then I think the BBC could of kept it under wraps for an announcement in November . But my gut reaction is that this rumour is just another hoax because IMO there is simply no way the BBC could keep a huge find of missing episodes secret .
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rumours have been around for a while,could the bbc keep it a secret if they found some ?? i'd love it to be true i really would but untill something official is confirmed i'm not going to get my hopes up
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I want more Troughton episodes. In fact I want all of them :(
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stopped believing. There are no more episodes left to find.once underwater menace 2 is out on DVD that is it. The end.

Conversely the discovery of Air Lock and Underwater Menace 2 in 2011 shows how random episodes can still keep cropping up....what makes the current rumour so unlikely is the supposed size of the cache.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member
    Well except that some of tge supposedly recovered episdoes weren't even sold to the country they've supposedly been found in.

Well, the saga of the missing episodes is often bizarre and illogical, we could have said the same about finding missing episodes in the basement of a church :)

I don't think the number or location of the episodes should increase or decrease the probability of this rumour being true. I'm slightly conflicted about it all. On the one hand it's a rumour that's coming from several different sources but on the other hand none of them are naming their sources so it could ultimately be just one person making things up. The number of episodes 'found' is suffering from chinese whispers, growing with each repeat of the rumour so I don't think we can assume how many may have been found.

I think there's something to these rumours though. The missing episode hunters have been quick to deny them yet don't seem to have investigated the rumours. That's uncharacteristic (unless they really have investigated but haven't revealed that?).

Wishful thinking on my part maybe :D
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowls wrote: »
    I will believe it when I see the proof and until then I consider the lost episodes as lost in time as Axon space-pod, dead as a Dhravin, as likely to return as Krotons, as likely to be consciously witnessed as the Silence ..... .... ...

That's a very poetic way of putting it!

It seems odd that a rumour as unlikely as this keeps doing the rounds, being reported by well-connected people. The power of wishful thinking may turn up the odd episode every ten years, but a whole lorryload in one go is a bit of a stretch. :(
  • Tegan JovankaTegan Jovanka Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want more Troughton episodes. In fact I want all of them :(

Like everyone one I'd LOVE the rumours to be true but realistically it's not likely. However it's more likely if a lot have been found in a TV station it would have been during the clear out of Television Centre.
  • dwswhsdwswhs Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    It would be fantastic if this is true, I don't have many Hartnell era stories and only have three Troughton stories and so I haven't really managed to really take pleasure from the stories they did so i'm hopeful that some have been founds. I hope episodes from any of the stories are found but especially the lost Dalek and Cybermen episodes, companion departures and arrival episodes and of course completely missing episodes like Fury From The Deep. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed leading upto the 50th anniversary.
  • Tegan JovankaTegan Jovanka Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dwswhs wrote: »
    It would be fantastic if this is true, I don't have many Hartnell era stories and only have three Troughton stories and so I haven't really managed to really take pleasure from the stories they did so i'm hopeful that some have been founds. I hope episodes from any of the stories are found but especially the lost Dalek and Cybermen episodes, companion departures and arrival episodes and of course completely missing episodes like Fury From The Deep. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed leading upto the 50th anniversary.

Well put. Whether the episodes are found or not I think we will see all the missing episodes in the form of animation. With the will there and the costs tumbling I think it's a question of when rather than if. We've seen the wonderful work that's been put on YouTube by devoted fans. Of course it's not the same as seeing the actual missing episodes and I still hope these rumours bear fruit.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    GB have told everyone to cool off from the BC news... Which is interesting in itself...

Not really. The owner of GB made it plain that he has had absolutely no information passed to him on the subject. Nothing whatsoever positive or negative. He also said he thinks the websites reporting the rumours are irresponsible. Not because he knows anything. He has repeatedly said that he doesn't. But he thinks that *if* there is anything going on then it might be a good idea to be careful about blabbing about it. Just in case there really are negotiations going on - people trying to get in on the act by pretending they know more than they do won't help.

But he has said he has heard nothing himself. Which doesn't indicate anything one way or the other.

I apologise in advance to Chuffnobbler for not being poetic. That's more CoalHillJanitor's kind of thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doctor who online are reporting that they have been told by reliable sources recently its true.they are remaining cautious thoug as there is conflicting reports from these sources.something does apear to be up.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Not really. The owner of GB made it plain that he has had absolutely no information passed to him on the subject. Nothing whatsoever positive or negative. He also said he thinks the websites reporting the rumours are irresponsible. Not because he knows anything. He has repeatedly said that he doesn't. But he thinks that *if* there is anything going on then it might be a good idea to be careful about blabbing about it. Just in case there really are negotiations going on - people trying to get in on the act by pretending they know more than they do won't help.

But he has said he has heard nothing himself. Which doesn't indicate anything one way or the other.

I apologise in advance to Chuffnobbler for not being poetic. That's more CoalHillJanitor's kind of thing.

If it's poetry that you're after then you should check out a retweet on Ian Levine's twitter:

https://twitter.com/IanLevine

I'm guessing that he doesn't believe the rumours then :)
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours like this were always going to be going around in the shows 50th year. I would love it to be true, but in reality it is probably all false. Quotes like those off Bleedling Cool

"I’m told to expect, among others, a full Evil Of The Daleks from 1967"

do get my a little excited, but then you just have to tell yourself. We have been here before and nothing was ever really found.

Sorry to be all pessimistic, but it saves disappointment later down the line when not even 1 episode out of a now rumoured found 60 have been found.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    If it's poetry that you're after then you should check out a retweet on Ian Levine's twitter:

https://twitter.com/IanLevine

I'm guessing that he doesn't believe the rumours then :)

It looks like a Larkin to me. Have there been rumours of missing Larkins turning up on Twitter?

:)