Netflix Orders Four Original Marvel Series

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
LINK

The superhero genre is getting stronger. Not only is it thriving on the big screen but the small screen is starting to take its fair share.

Today Netflix and Marvel announced that they will create 4 original live-action series that will ultimately lead up to a big "Defenders" miniseries. The 4 series will focus on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage. The shows will run 13 episode each and will begin airing on Netflix in 2015. After that, "The Defenders" will air as a big miniseries.

I CANNOT WAIT!

Comments

• 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Heck of a way to get me to cancel my Lovefilm subscription!

Really hope they get the quality right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    This is a pretty big catch for Netflix. And I'm assuming they'll be everywhere on day one like their previous original series, which makes it even better.

Netflix sure know how to make my subscription fee feel insurmountably small compared to what I'm getting in return!
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still recovering from Ben Affleck's effort as Daredevil, so I'm a bit nervous about this series. However, if they get it right - it could be decent. To be a success, I think the writers need to take a look at Brian Michael Bendis' Daredevil run in the comic series as I think it would suit the tone of the TV show. Bendis' take on Daredevil is a bit Batman-lite, but it's still very good stuff and the storylines are top quality.
    Don't know much about the other characters.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Don't know much about the other characters.

I can help!

Iron Fist,has an iron fist,wears fancy dress, saves the world from his arch nemesis, rescues small children from danger,has problems in his personal life.

Luke Cage,lives in a cage,wears fancy dress, saves the world from his arch nemesis, rescues small children from danger,has problems in his personal life.

Jessica Jones,tranny, wears fancy dress, saves the world from his/her arch nemesis, rescues small children from danger,has problems in his/her personal life (clearly).

Cant wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    I can help!

Iron Fist,has an iron fist,wears fancy dress, saves the world from his arch nemesis, rescues small children from danger,has problems in his personal life.

Luke Cage,lives in a cage,wears fancy dress, saves the world from his arch nemesis, rescues small children from danger,has problems in his personal life.

Jessica Jones,tranny, wears fancy dress, saves the world from his/her arch nemesis, rescues small children from danger,has problems in his/her personal life (clearly).

Cant wait.

:D!
    Why thank you, sir!

I just googled the characters to see what I could find out about them. They're pretty much B-List Marvel characters from the sounds of it.
    Although, apparently Luke Cage served in the Avengers in the comic series, so I guess he can't be too bad of a character. Cage's primary superpower is unbreakable skin, which isn't terribly imaginative.
    Jessica Jones isn't even a superhero, she's an ex-superhero turned private investigator. She has the ability of flight.
    Iron Fist is probably the only one that interests me (besides Daredevil). He has the ability to concentrate his "chi" into his fist, hence his name lol.

So basically, the "Defenders" will be the Avengers on TV made up of B-List superheroes. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing or anything.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yes The Defenders will basically be that but none of these superhero would ever get a film so this is the only way to see a live action version of them.I think its good to see that Marvel are using their lesser known characters in this way and it will draw in subscribers for Netflix from Marvel fans who want to watch the shows!

It is also a step forward for Marvel in TV from Agents Of SHIELD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Yes The Defenders will basically be that but none of these superhero would ever get a film so this is the only way to see a live action version of them.I think its good to see that Marvel are using their lesser known characters in this way and it will draw in subscribers for Netflix from Marvel fans who want to watch the shows!

It is also a step forward for Marvel in TV from Agents Of SHIELD

True. None of them are really big enough to get a movie.
    Or in Daredevil's case, the movie was a bit of a disaster. I think Daredevil is better served on TV anyway due to the heavily serialized nature of the comic series. If they wanted to adapt Frank Miller and Brian Michael Bendis's material on the TV show, then they'd have the perfect platform to do so.

And it certainly should bring in a lot of new subscribers to Netflix, I agree. It won't just be comic book fans who will be interested. I think there are a lot of people who are excited by the direction that Netflix is taking and want to jump on to the train.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they stay away from the Whedon family they have my interest. Agents of SHIELD is profoundly mediocre television.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they stay away from the Whedon family they have my interest. Agents of SHIELD is profoundly mediocre television.

Whedon was much better when he did his OWN ORGINAL IDEAS (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse), not just continuing from other's people's ideas, but now everyone thinks he is a god now since The Avengers Assemble.,
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very impressed by this. They've chosen mid-level characters that are similar and will be cost effective, in terms of showcasing their powers, with regards to special effects. I'm really looking forward to Daredevil (he's one of my favourite superheroes), as well as Iron Fist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D!
    Why thank you, sir!

I just googled the characters to see what I could find out about them. They're pretty much B-List Marvel characters from the sounds of it.
    Although, apparently Luke Cage served in the Avengers in the comic series, so I guess he can't be too bad of a character. Cage's primary superpower is unbreakable skin, which isn't terribly imaginative.
    Jessica Jones isn't even a superhero, she's an ex-superhero turned private investigator. She has the ability of flight.
    Iron Fist is probably the only one that interests me (besides Daredevil). He has the ability to concentrate his "chi" into his fist, hence his name lol.

So basically, the "Defenders" will be the Avengers on TV made up of B-List superheroes. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing or anything.

To be fair, with more exposure they can be upgraded to A-listers. Daredevil has flirted with the status in the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedon was much better when he did his OWN ORGINAL IDEAS (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse), not just continuing from other's people's ideas, but now everyone thinks he is a god now since The Avengers Assemble.,

Are you not aware that Buffy The Vampire Slayer was an adapation of a japanese tv show? Also Dollhouse, again, was adapated from a book from the 1950's. Angel only came out of pure luck based on the characters popularity.

So maybe he produces better work, when he has more creative control but not with original ideas.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that avengers film totally bombed too......

as for this, great news, look forward to it just like arrested development s4,and that did not dissapoint!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    that avengers film totally bombed too......
    Not sure what that has to do with quality, of which that film is also notably lacking. Though nowhere near the level of AoS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Are you not aware that Buffy The Vampire Slayer was an adapation of a japanese tv show? Also Dollhouse, again, was adapated from a book from the 1950's. Angel only came out of pure luck based on the characters popularity.

So maybe he produces better work, when he has more creative control but not with original ideas.
    Where on earth did you get your misinformation from, or did you just make it up for shits and giggles?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Surprised they didn't go for the 'heroes for hire' name rather than 'the defenders' as that's a much better fit with this group. For more on Luke Cage (power man) and iron fist together read 'power man and iron fist', which is a bit 70's but fun all the same. For more on Jessica Jones (who is a super hero, although it's a slightly generic strength/flight one) read the marvel comics 'alias' series but beware it was a MAX imprint adult release comic.

They might go with the Bendis version of daredevil (with a dash of frank miller), but the recent Mark Waid run has been very enjoyable and a fair bit lighter in tone; no dead girlfriends this time round :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    To be fair, with more exposure they can be upgraded to A-listers. Daredevil has flirted with the status in the past.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I think it's a good idea actually. Who knows, maybe if the TV shows turn out to be huge successes - they'll end up getting their own movies down the line? I can certainly see Daredevil getting another movie.

It's something I wish DC Comics would do with Nightwing (former Robin and sidekick of Batman). He could do with a TV show of his own as I always thought he was a cool character in his own right. Surprisingly, he's actually well-known amongst some non-comic book readers.

Getting back to Marvel/Netflix, I wish they had greenlit a Moon Knight TV show, instead of a Jessica Jones TV show. Moon Knight is also a B-List superhero, but vastly more interesting as a character than Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage put together IMO. In fact, I'm surprised as I heard there was a Moon Knight TV show in the works a few years ago. The Punisher is another character who could do with a TV show of his own as well.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting back to Marvel/Netflix, I wish they had greenlit a Moon Knight TV show, instead of a Jessica Jones TV show. Moon Knight is also a B-List superhero, but vastly more interesting as a character than Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage put together IMO. In fact, I'm surprised as I heard there was a Moon Knight TV show in the works a few years ago. The Punisher is another character who could do with a TV show of his own as well.

I love the idea of Marvel marketing their lesser known (or even less respected) "heroes" for TV shows. They have such a huge selection that will probably never even be considered for their own big screen films. TV, particularly cable and Netflix, would be a perfect fit for them.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix & Marvel do a new deal (if the current deal becomes successful) in 2016 with more superheroes from the Marvel Universe.

I think their competitor, DC, should be a bit more ambitious when it comes to their properties. Other than the few blockbuster films (Man of Steel, Batman) it just feels like they're not doing much with what they have. Like Marvel, they a tremendously rich catalog of superheroes.
    Forum Member
    It would be great to see a Punisher tv show if this Netflix deal is a success.Any Punisher fans should take a look at the Dirty Laundry fan short with Thomas Jane as that is well worth a watch!

Inky Binky DC already have the success of the Arrow tv show as well as planned tv shows of Gotham,The Flash and Constantine to come in the future.So they are doing a few things apart from their blockbuster films!

Although I agree they are still behind Marvel in using their characters!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Well, punisher has cropped up in a few daredevil stories and so could easily get a guest slot here (if not green lit for his own series). In my opinion Moon knight is just batman with extra mental issues though (and a few tweaks) and I never found him that exciting, so I'm glad it's not him. He's another one though that could guess star in Daredevil (+/- echo), so we'll see.

We're heading towards super saturation soon though, so something's going to have to go...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    msfit wrote: »
    Well, punisher has cropped up in a few daredevil stories and so could easily get a guest slot here (if not green lit for his own series). In my opinion Moon knight is just batman with extra mental issues though (and a few tweaks) and I never found him that exciting, so I'm glad it's not him. He's another one though that could guess star in Daredevil (+/- echo), so we'll see.

We're heading towards super saturation soon though, so something's going to have to go...

Lol, true. Marvel have made no secret of the fact that Moon Knight is their version of Batman (a very twisted version), so you're spot on. But I still think he's more interesting and colourful as a character than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. The whole multiple personality angle with Moon Knight is something you don't see in many superheroes and would be fun to explore in a TV show. But oh well.

The Punisher would be so perfect on HBO IMO. A gritty, vigilante drama that dwelves into the mafia underworld. It could be like The Sopranos, but with the Punisher as the main character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    I love the idea of Marvel marketing their lesser known (or even less respected) "heroes" for TV shows. They have such a huge selection that will probably never even be considered for their own big screen films. TV, particularly cable and Netflix, would be a perfect fit for them.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix & Marvel do a new deal (if the current deal becomes successful) in 2016 with more superheroes from the Marvel Universe.

I think their competitor, DC, should be a bit more ambitious when it comes to their properties. Other than the few blockbuster films (Man of Steel, Batman) it just feels like they're not doing much with what they have. Like Marvel, they a tremendously rich catalog of superheroes.

Couldn't agree more, particularly the BIB. DC are certainly lagging way behind Marvel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    It would be great to see a Punisher tv show if this Netflix deal is a success.Any Punisher fans should take a look at the Dirty Laundry fan short with Thomas Jane as that is well worth a watch!

Inky Binky DC already have the success of the Arrow tv show as well as planned tv shows of Gotham,The Flash and Constantine to come in the future.So they are doing a few things apart from their blockbuster films!

Although I agree they are still behind Marvel in using their characters!

Ah, thanks. I'll take a look at that. I've always been fond of the Punisher, purely because he does what no other superhero/vigilante can do in comics - he kills criminals. He's a no-nonsense badass that's for sure.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    I can help!

Cant wait.

Your post hits the spot. There are so many other characters deserving of Netflix's attentions than this tiresome trio...
    Forum Member
    So Cabin In The Woods co-writer and director Drew Goddard is in talks to write and direct the Daredevil tv show.Also Twilight writer Melissa Rosenberg is in talks to write and executive produce the Jessica Jones tv show!

It seems that Marvel and Netflix are moving forward quickly with these new shows!