✭✭✭
    Jaystar wrote: »
    You also said:

Yeah, and? What's your point ? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Bandola wrote: »
    Yeah, and? What's your point ? :D

That you make the assumption all black people talk the same, to laugh at the white people copying them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    When I lived in Edinburgh most black or Asian people I knew spoke with Scottish accents, here in Yorkshire it's different. Most Asian's speak with Asian accents, and most black people speak with either a west Indian or African accent. Not all do of course, many speak just as broad Yorkshire as my white friends but many do have what I presume is the accent of their parents or the majority accent of the area they live in.
    Forum Member
    The only really annoying white person trying to sound like a cool black guy is Westwood. He sounds like a complete tw*t.
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well DUH, once you've read the second sentence of the thread which goes " I overheard a few words from some guy in tesco today. He sounded exactly like Ali G or any of the black guys that Ross Kemp interviewed in south london gangs." it all becomes clear or should do if people actually read it.

You could have made it clear, in the first place in your thread title. It reads as if you're making a generalist statement.

As someone else said, you also said "black people must laugh at these white people copying them." Another generalist statement.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, people are so pedantic and defensive here. You know exactly what I mean.

Yeah, that's it. Gangsta.

Plastic Gangsta:p:
    My brother and his mates used to talk like what you mean, they were middle class whiteboys, constantly replying to what each other said by saying, "sayfffffe" and talking like they were living in the ghetto.
    Eventually they grew up and talked normal again.
  • BandolaBandola Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That you make the assumption all black people talk the same, to laugh at the white people copying them.

It's YOUR Assumption that MY assumption is that all black people speak the same. Jump to conclusions much? MY meaning, right or wrong, was more on the lines that black people might laugh at some white guy trying to sound cool and mimicking A black person's accent and speaking style, because it's OBVIOUSLY part of black culture.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    For people who seem to be deliberately missing the point, I think the OP means people who are emulating a 'cod' West Indian accent: people (white and black) who live in the Carribbean islands. This is despite the fact that the likes of Westwood and Ali G (spoof, I know) probably have not been further west than Taunton.

If I see Westwood on Pimp my Ride UK and hear him speak, my first response is 'what a tit'. It is quite amusing though...seeing a 51-year old using hand gestures and affectations usually found in a New York ghetto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both. However, I'm talking about white people that are directly mimicking what we generally know to be the west indian sound or what is close to that.

I am black, but I am neither West Indian or African, for that matter. So how do black people speak again? (For pedant's sake, all people generally talk the same way by opening our mouths, using our teeth, tongues and lips to form words and making sounds come out. People do tend to speak differently.)
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a lot of the younger students at my college all sound like Ali G

my college is nottingham.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    You could have made it clear, in the first place in your thread title. It reads as if you're making a generalist statement.

As someone else said, you also said "black people must laugh at these white people copying them." Another generalist statement.

Lol, I made it clear during the opening post. Would you like a tissue?
    Forum Member
    I am black, but I am neither West Indian or African, for that matter. So how do black people speak again. (For pedant's sake, all people generally talk the same way by opening our mouths, using our teeth, tongues and lips to form words and making sounds come out. People do tend to speak differently.)

:D lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For people who seem to be deliberately missing the point, I think the OP means people who are emulating a 'cod' West Indian accent: people (white and black) who live in the Carribbean islands. This is despite the fact that the likes of Westwood and Ali G (spoof, I know) have not been further west than Taunton.

Thank you! This is exactly what I mean. I know that people here do indeed deliberately or stupidly miss the point of a lot of threads here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, I made it clear during the opening post.

Well done you. Would you like a gold star?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's YOUR Assumption that MY assumption is that all black people speak the same. Jump to conclusions much? MY meaning, right or wrong, was more on the lines that black people might laugh at some white guy trying to sound cool and mimicking A black person's accent and speaking style, because it's OBVIOUSLY part of black culture.

Sigh, all black culture is not the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigh, all black culture is not the same.

This is beginning to have a familiar ring to it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    Well done you. Would you like a gold star?

No thanks. Would you like new reading glasses? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No thanks. Would you like new reading glasses? :D

Not necessary. Perhaps you should give us all a lesson in black culture. You seem to know a bit about it! :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I made it clear during the opening post. Would you like a tissue?

This is DS though, you have to respect posters rights to be anal;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I feel white people and black people sound equally chavvy speaking like that.
    Y'get me blud?
  • Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a lot of the younger students at my college all sound like Ali G

my college is nottingham.

I work in Nottingham and no end of young white males seem to speak as if they grew up in the Bronx. It makes no sense at all.
  • MD_ZeroMD_Zero Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arksing/arksed instead of asking/asked does me head in

and when im called bredrin(brethren i think) I reply with: I'm not a breadbin :p
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's accent changes depending on the people they're around, and it happens more noticeably in young people, usually. I talked much broader Glaswegian when I was working in a corner shop than I do now I work in an office, just because I was exposed more to the Glaswegian accent. Even my Cornish flatmate occasionally came home from her job in the East End sounding totally Glasgow.

It's just that it only gets commented on when the accent they're moving towards is a "black accent" - not that there's any such thing, of course, since accents are geographical/ class-related, rather than race-related.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These white people might just be friends with black people that talk a certain way and they have slowly picked up the accent.

For three years in uni, my best friend was a japanese girl and in our final year we lived together. Towards our last days in uni, I found myself coming close to pronouncing my L like R (and vice versa) and sometimes in my head I use the japanese exclamation she uses. I am not trying to sound japanese, it just happens that I was exposed to the language.
    The same might be true of the white people in question.