How can I have 2 people on the phone withouth 2 lines??

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help? I'm just about to start my own company and have got an office with a phone line going in tomorrow. Initially it will just be me there but I also want my dad to work with me when he can and it may require both of us to be on the phone at the same time, however I don't want to pay for 2 phone lines - cash flow is going to be TIGHT at the beginning!!

So I was wondering is there a way that we can both use the same line? Is that what switchboards do? I'm currently employed and we only have 1 main number and then we all have DDI's - I think. Does that spilt the line or is my boss paying for loads of different land lines? Surely there has to be a work around?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way it would work with one phone line is if you also had ADSL on it and one of you used a service like Skype to make calls while the other used the "normal" phone.

Otherwise it is impossible to make two separate calls simultaneously on the same line.

A switchboard will have a number of lines going in and a number of extensions going out. The number of extensions going out can exceed the number of lines coming in. But only one extension at a time can be connected to one incoming line. Once all the incoming lines are in use no other extension can make an external call.

With businesses you can do clever stuff like have a bunch of lines with one number and also have a bunch of numbers (the DDI range) that all land up on the same group of incoming lines. So any of your business numbers can arrive at your switchboard on any line.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Skype is essentially a Voip service, but if you go for a proper Voip service you can have multiple Voip lines over ADSL - for a low cost business option check out these people:

http://www.live.sipgate.co.uk/team

Free trial available as well.

I'm now using them for my home phone, and it's been excellent.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or you could always try vonage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hi thanks for the reply, that gives me a really good idea of how things work which is great. Its a shame that you cant do it on 1 line - I've always been very sceptical of Skype and VOIP services because in my experience there has always been a delay. Are they much better now? Saying that I suppose I could use my normal line for my calls (has a really good bundle on minutes (landline and mobile)) then use a voip service for the other person..

Thanks,

Alex.
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The only way it would work with one phone line is if you also had ADSL on it and one of you used a service like Skype to make calls while the other used the "normal" phone.

Otherwise it is impossible to make two separate calls simultaneously on the same line.

A switchboard will have a number of lines going in and a number of extensions going out. The number of extensions going out can exceed the number of lines coming in. But only one extension at a time can be connected to one incoming line. Once all the incoming lines are in use no other extension can make an external call.

With businesses you can do clever stuff like have a bunch of lines with one number and also have a bunch of numbers (the DDI range) that all land up on the same group of incoming lines. So any of your business numbers can arrive at your switchboard on any line.
    Forum Member
    Ahhh that looks interesting - ill have a look into that properly - problem is its another £15 a month over my existing line..
    Skype is essentially a Voip service, but if you go for a proper Voip service you can have multiple Voip lines over ADSL - for a low cost business option check out these people:

http://www.live.sipgate.co.uk/team

Free trial available as well.

I'm now using them for my home phone, and it's been excellent.
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot - that looks like a definite option and a bit cheaper..
    Or you could always try vonage
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you get three way calling from your telephone provider? Costs a bit but I'm sure it can be done.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you get three way calling from your telephone provider? Costs a bit but I'm sure it can be done.

I would imagine so - certainly BT do
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8505/~/how-to-use-3-way-calling

and TalkTalk
    http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/home-phone/three-way-calling
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that is not what the OP wants.

He wants to be able to make two entirely independent phone calls from two people at his office to two separate recipients simoultaneously on one line.

ie caller 1 to recipient 1 and caller 2 to recipient 2 without either person in pair 1 being able to hear what either in pair 2 are saying and vice versa.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always use Divert on Busy to take an incoming second call on a mobile. You'll have to rent the service and pay for the diverted part of the incoming call at your telco's mobile rate, so it won't be cost effective if used a lot.

However, it may suffice as a workaround for occasional use if you are prepared to wait until the landline becomes free when someone wants to make an outgoing call.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itstime222 wrote: »
    Ahhh that looks interesting - ill have a look into that properly - problem is its another £15 a month over my existing line..

If you just want a second line type of thing, then sipgate can offer that for free.

https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/

i use Sipgate here at home as my main phone as I don't have a phone line and it works well. You pay for the calls and that is it.

Quality is fine, but that also depends on your broadband.

If you want more of a switchboard type thing, then you need something like sipgate team.

Vonage is good as well, if you want call and other packages then Vonage is fine for that, which is why it costs per month.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    But that is not what the OP wants.

He wants to be able to make two entirely independent phone calls from two people at his office to two separate recipients simoultaneously on one line.

ie caller 1 to recipient 1 and caller 2 to recipient 2 without either person in pair 1 being able to hear what either in pair 2 are saying and vice versa.

Sounds to me like you would need to lines to be honest. Anything else would just be wizardry.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I use for my secondline...http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi100-UK-Internet-Phone-Adaptor-Required/dp/B005FSTM0G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1 link to a Sipgate local free number.

Once set up using your computer the Obi100 (with a standard phone of your choice connected) connects to your broadband router and a computer is no longer required and the phone is always on.

Calls on a PAYG tariff are just over a penny per minute to UK landlines and just under 10p per minute for UK mobiles. Calls to the Sipgate number are charged at standard call charges including any free landlines minutes you may have from your mobile.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved house but wanted to keep my number. New location could not keep the number so I had it moved to Vonage. I Pay for a phone line which is your normal landline and I pay £6 a month for the Vonage line which is basically a device you plug into your internet router and you plug in a normal phone into said device and it behaves like a landline with another number, the box I have even has an option for a second phone to be plugged in for a second line (effectively three lines), you have to pay extra of course. Works fine no problems.