White people speaking like black people

Comments

• BandolaBandola Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's any consolation, Bandola, I read and understood your first post, and without reading further, knew that you would be jumped on, accused of generalising, stereotyping, being racist - all of that stuff. And you were.

Some (please note, I said some!) people are only too happy to storm in and create chaos where there wasn't any.

Hehe, yep, too true. I've come to expect that at forums, particularly at DS.

lambing wrote: »
    It annoys the hell out of me! It's a fashion thing though, so I guess we'll have to put up with it until the next craze comes in.

Well, according to this article, it's more than a fashion and is taking over from cockney. Though I can see how being around an accent can influence your own, I still think that in many cases it's probably about white people trying to be cool and gangsta, in much the same way as it's happening in america with the wiggas there. It's one thing to mimic just the words like 'innit' 'fo real' 'safe', etc, but when the caribbean lilt comes in as well ( 'laak' instead of 'like' for example)and they've not even been to the caribbean, it just seems absurd.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-382734/Jafaican-wiping-inner-city-English-accents.html
  • captncoolcaptncool Posts: 3,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bust a cap in me arse would ye now , i,ll knock seven shades o shite outa ye wi ma shalaylee .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,990
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

begorra her hed is going t shake itself loos :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrrrrghhhh! Have you seen the people on the Jeremy Kyle Show, nine times out of ten they speak like they live in the hood!
  • BandolaBandola Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    captncool wrote: »
    bust a cap in me arse would ye now , i,ll knock seven shades o shite outa ye wi ma shalaylee .

:D

She's a playa. Lol, what a naive little **** that girl is.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lambing wrote: »
    Ah to be sure now :D

I really hope the whole irish ting takes off, I love an irish accent.

What accent is that then?

Don't you know how offensive that kind of generalisation is?
    You should be ashamed of yourself. :mad:

There's no such thing after all as some/lots/the majority don't speak in any way whatsoever that can be used to generalise and by mentioning these stereotypes then you are obviously a facist. :rolleyes:

Been away from DS for a few days, just getting back into the swing of things. :D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Bandola wrote: »
    Lol, people are so pedantic and defensive here.

Don't take notice of them Bandola, unlike some I read further than the thread title to get the point clearly shown in the OP, I can only suggest those making waves have an inability to understand what is read or are deliberate trouble makers.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    What accent is that then?

Don't you know how offensive that kind of generalisation is?
    You should be ashamed of yourself. :mad:

There's no such thing after all as some/lots/the majority don't speak in any way whatsoever that can be used to generalise and by mentioning these stereotypes then you are obviously a facist. :rolleyes:

You need to lighten up, that or get out and see real life where people don't get offended on behalf of others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    The only really annoying white person trying to sound like a cool black guy is Westwood. He sounds like a complete tw*t.

Thank you! I'm so glad it's not just me who hates that guy and finds him utterly cringeworthy. He's offensive to black AND white people!
  • jagger2kjagger2k Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its even more silly when you hear indians speaking like that, they atually think they are black. Just hope they relise when they are older what dicks they sounded like.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    You need to lighten up, that or get out and see real life where people don't get offended on behalf of others.

I think Speak-Softly was being ironic, referring to some rather accusational posts made earlier in the thread. :o

(I could be wrong, but that's how I took it.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    This is one of my pet hates.

Black people most certainly do NOT talk the same, neither do white people.

I had known someone all of two hours before they decided to inform me I talk like a white person. When I asked what that was supposed to mean, she said because I used proper sentences and pronounced my t's and didn't say 'innit'

It annoys me to no end that some people seem to think all black people use slang, talk like they're from the 'ghetto' and don't know how to form proper sentences.
    Perhaps if young black people in the public eye spoke properly (I know, provocative but I'm too lazy to find another word) then you wouldn't have this misconception. And besides, coming from Essex and spending most of my time in East London as someone who made hip-hop music a few years ago I can hand on heart say that at least 90% of the black people I came into contact with under the age of 30 spoke in so called black speak. That's not even taking into account my black friends, and black people formed the huge majority of my social circle.

I know it's tempting to dismiss the OP as ignorant, but please, don't bury your head in the sand.
  • SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funniest thing is meeting a black person who speaks the Queen's English. :D

Although seriously, I do find it refreshing when I hear black people talking normally instead of using that Jamaican drawl all the time. It says to me that they're really proper English - wahgwan, blud!

Those who don't speak with even a trace of Jamaican/West Indies in their accent are instantly stars as far as I'm concerned. They should be praised for sounding as British as can be. Easier on the ears, easier on the mind - they come across as less scary and angry that way!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I overheard a few words from some guy in tesco today. He sounded exactly like Ali G or any of the black guys that Ross Kemp interviewed in south london gangs. But this guy was 100% white! What's that all about? He sounded like he was from the west indies or the mixed up london version of it. That's the second time in two weeks I've heard someone speak like this. It just seems ridiculous and completely laughable. If he was speaking to me, I would most likely say to him "why on earth are you talking like that?". It would be like me putting on an indian accent or speaking like a chinese man and changing my 'r's to 'l's.

We all pick up a few phrases but something like this is losing your whole identity and taking on someone elses.
    I should imagine that black people laugh at these white people copying them, and rightly so.

People always feel the need to imitate the speech patterns of other groups, especially those who have no strong self identity of their own.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

Although seriously, I do find it refreshing when I hear black people talking normally instead of using that Jamaican drawl all the time. It says to me that they're really proper English - wahgwan, blud!

Those who don't speak with even a trace of Jamaican/West Indies in their accent are instantly stars as far as I'm concerned. They should be praised for sounding as British as can be. Easier on the ears, easier on the mind - they come across as less scary and angry that way!
    are you serious?
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst at no point did I think the OP was being deliberately generalistic or racist ( I think others were being obtuse and pedantic to create an argument that was not needed) I do however think you might just be a touch on the generalistic and possibly ever so slightly moving to towards having made a racist statement. You might have done it rather unintentionally but even I am a little taken aback and I tend to find the previously mentioned posters a bit over reactionary when they suggest negative slants to post (where there is non intended). I only hope that you're having a joke with us as it is difficult to tell sometimes on here.:)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehe, yep, too true. I've come to expect that at forums, particularly at DS.

Well, according to this article, it's more than a fashion and is taking over from cockney. Though I can see how being around an accent can influence your own, I still think that in many cases it's probably about white people trying to be cool and gangsta, in much the same way as it's happening in america with the wiggas there. It's one thing to mimic just the words like 'innit' 'fo real' 'safe', etc, but when the caribbean lilt comes in as well ( 'laak' instead of 'like' for example)and they've not even been to the caribbean, it just seems absurd.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-382734/Jafaican-wiping-inner-city-English-accents.html

Isn't it also the blacks trying to sound cool and gangsta too tho?
    Living in London (up until 10 years ago) I knew loads of people who spoke like this , mostly blacks but a few whites some were old and some young but none had even left the UK . Black people like to be thought of as cool as well. Its just as silly a black person talking like they come from the Bronx as a white one .
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    It sounds pathetic.

I overheard a group of teenage lads the other day in a shop (two black & one white). The white kid was talking like a black kid and the other two were taking the piss out of him and calling him a 'wigger'.

A group that had only just met :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen anyone accusing the OP of being racist. Just (rightly) pointed out his generalisations.
    bonzo88 wrote: »
    Perhaps if young black people in the public eye spoke properly (I know, provocative but I'm too lazy to find another word) then you wouldn't have this misconception. And besides, coming from Essex and spending most of my time in East London as someone who made hip-hop music a few years ago I can hand on heart say that at least 90% of the black people I came into contact with under the age of 30 spoke in so called black speak. That's not even taking into account my black friends, and black people formed the huge majority of my social circle.

I know it's tempting to dismiss the OP as ignorant, but please, don't bury your head in the sand.

The person that told me I spoke like a white person was black herself. She like you, associate(d) mainly with black people who spoke 'black speak'

I'm not dismissing the OP as ignorant, I know exactly what he was trying to say, the problem is he phrased it wrong and used major generalisations.

I can only hope this was supposed to be a joke.

If it's not, you can keep your praise thanks.
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    What, they don't have TV, radio or music from which to pick up accents either? While you still have the internet? People in your teeny tiny village must think you are a wizard to have such amazing technology!

Indeed we do have such wonderful inventions - a new fangled thing but we are all still learning. However why would they choose to speak in this way and not with an Australian accent or East End accent? I was making the point that it hasnt been picked up through close contact and social peers, they have chosen to talk like this. No why might that be? Do they think it makes them sound 'hard' and feared when in fact it just makes them sound ever so silly?
  • x-x-Lola-x-xx-x-Lola-x-x Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    What a ridiculous thread, there is no such thing as talking black, white, pink etc. It's geographical not racial, the accent has nothing to do with being black :rolleyes:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed we do have such wonderful inventions - a new fangled thing but we are all still learning. However why would they choose to speak in this way and not with an Australian accent or East End accent? I was making the point that it hasnt been picked up through close contact and social peers, they have chosen to talk like this. No why might that be? Do they think it makes them sound 'hard' and feared when in fact it just makes them sound ever so silly?

Oh, that's true, but I'm not sure it's any sillier than East End or Australian.

I remember years ago my mate's little sister and her buddies all went through a phase of speaking with American accents, having seen movies and TV shows and decided that was how cool people spoke. That seemed pretty stupid too, but it just goes to show it's not a new thing.

I used to speak quite "posh" as a kid, but even before moving to London the best part of twenty years ago my speech patterns had changed, largely as a result of listening to too many punk records. It wasn't a conscious thing, and it wasn't to do with how my peers spoke- they all had West Country accents.

So there's probably a bit of both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    I imagine people (mostly young) who "Speak Black" do it because they imagine it to be vaguely "subversive" or even "scary" to their (sometimes WASP) parent's generation. Perhaps a generalisation, but I very much doubt it is done out of "racial solidarity" or possible higher motives... That's why most people grow out of it? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8w7uJI4OU
    the interveiwer looked scared to death at the thought of either an attack or having to tidy up any posts science made or inspired on ds .
    :D