Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I agree. Not to mention that little plastic piece in his mouth. Swoon!

(also note that he showed up sans tie for probably the only time)

Hey, you're swooning too! I'll share the smelling salts with you. Or you can have 'em all. I'll take the Doc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Attention, Attention Everybody. I have an important announcement to make:
    I have it on excellent authority that Series 6 will begin filming in April! :D:D:D
    Although some of you may not mind, please don't ask me who my source is or I may be eliminated. :eek:;)

Uh oh, potential death threats against two of our members! I think cc.cookie already volunteered statesidefan to be sacrificed for the common good, so beware!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Northern Exposure was an hour (44 mins) show. I think it would need to be that long to fit it in sensibly. There are 110 episodes of Northern exposure over 5 years. DM America would be over in 2 seasons.

Gosh, I absolutely loved Northern Exposure. Definitely on my all-time top 10 list. MC has given it a nod (in some interview or another) as an inspiring factor in DM. I seem to remember someone in this forum way back when (in reading through the old threads) complaining that DM "ripped off" NE. But the similarities don't bother me. It's such a great idea, a wonderful concept. In fact, when I first started watching DM, I got a warm and fuzzy Northern Exposure feeling and it made me very, very happy. And then I fell for the Doc and the rest is history.

But, just as Northern Exposure was a one-hour show (minus commercials), any American version of DM would have had to be one-hour. 30 minute sitcoms, even the best of them, have a different feel to them. Still can't imagine an American DM though. No, no way.

"Northern Exposure" from Wikipedia:
    The series was given a pair of consecutive Peabody Awards: in 1991–92 for the show's "depict[ion] in a comedic and often poetic way, [of] the cultural clash between a transplanted New York City doctor and the townspeople of fictional Cicely, Alaska"[2] and its stories of "people of different backgrounds and experiences" clashing but who ultimately "strive to accept their differences and co-exist."[2]

It received a total of 57 award nominations during its five-year run and won 27, including the 1992 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series, two additional Primetime Emmy Awards, four Creative Arts Emmy Awards, and two Golden Globes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Right, right, of course!

I think it is true for me that "every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man". A well dressed man is absolutely more handsome than someone lounging around in casual wear. That's part of why DM is so attractive to me, outside his complex personality

And, then, him taking off that jacket....!!! :):o

1. The carwash scene
    2. The Peter Cronk ambulance scene (Absolutely at the door to the operating room/theatre, they take each other's hand.)
    3. The on his knees by the pig scene

I can rewatch those scenes quite often! :)

Man, I sure wish someone would make a DM music video with ZZ Tops song, "Sharp Dressed Man!"
    I'm going to ask Sendibo!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Gosh, I absolutely loved Northern Exposure. Definitely on my all-time top 10 list. MC has given it a nod (in some interview or another) as an inspiring factor in DM. I seem to remember someone in this forum way back when (in reading through the old threads) complaining that DM "ripped off" NE. But the similarities don't bother me. It's such a great idea, a wonderful concept. In fact, when I first started watching DM, I got a warm and fuzzy Northern Exposure feeling and it made me very, very happy. And then I fell for the Doc and the rest is history.

"Northern Exposure" from Wikipedia:
    The series was given a pair of consecutive Peabody Awards: in 1991–92 for the show's "depict[ion] in a comedic and often poetic way, [of] the cultural clash between a transplanted New York City doctor and the townspeople of fictional Cicely, Alaska"[2] and its stories of "people of different backgrounds and experiences" clashing but who ultimately "strive to accept their differences and co-exist."[2]

I loved Northern Exposure too. The similarities aren't enough to concern me. Both excellent shows about seemingly normal people with everyday problems. I loved that everyone wasn't a model. I loved that show and was so disappointed when it ended.

The only other series I like is an Australian production called "Seachange" which was a great show too. Incredibly it was about a lawyer with 2 kids whose husband had an affair with her sister so she took a job as a magistrate in a small fishing village and relocated the kids. It was written after Northern Exposure but before DM.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a show currently running on a very minor cable channel here in the U.S. CW -- which features a beautiful female "cardiothoracic surgeon from New York" who for some reason has to leave New York and settle in a small Southern town, replete with local characters. She falls in love with someone in the town, who stands her up at their wedding.

Sound at all familiar? I must admit, I have never watched it, never even been slightly tempted. The actors are "movie star beautiful" and it all feels like a rip-off to me and not even a very good one.

But if I WERE to set DM in the U.S., it would be a New York transplant to some small town in the South, or perhaps a ranching town in the Old West. There's a lot of possibilities. Still, it would require an actor of MC abilities to pull it off, and I just don't think of an American with his range. I don't pay much attention to American actors, though, so maybe there is one.

P.S. Some have suggested Kelsey Grammar (Frasier) as the DM figure. I don't know how I feel about that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    There's a show currently running on a very minor cable channel here in the U.S. CW -- which features a beautiful female "cardiothoracic surgeon from New York" who for some reason has to leave New York and settle in a small Southern town, replete with local characters. She falls in love with someone in the town, who stands her up at their wedding.

Sound at all familiar? I must admit, I have never watched it, never even been slightly tempted. The actors are "movie star beautiful" and it all feels like a rip-off to me and not even a very good one.

But if I WERE to set DM in the U.S., it would be a New York transplant to some small town in the South, or perhaps a ranching town in the Old West. There's a lot of possibilities. Still, it would require an actor of MC abilities to pull it off, and I just don't think of an American with his range. I don't pay much attention to American actors, though, so maybe there is one.

P.S. Some have suggested Kelsey Grammar (Frasier) as the DM figure. I don't know how I feel about that.

UGGHHH!!! Not Kelsey Grammer. There is one of the behind the scenes where Joe Absolom compared Martin Clunes to Kelsey Grammer. I just don't think Kelsey Grammer is in the same league. Truly, the only other one I can see as DM is another Brit, Colin Firth. Another personal favorite. Swoon, swoon. But I couldn't settle for celibacy on his part, no way.

And haven't we already had that scenario with Michael J Fox in the movie Doc?

Hollywood will just make him a caricature...or House
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    UGGHHH!!! Not Kelsey Grammer. There is one of the behind the scenes where Joe Absolom compared Martin Clunes to Kelsey Grammer. I just don't think Kelsey Grammer is in the same league. Truly, the only other one I can see as DM is another Brit, Colin Firth. Another personal favorite. Swoon, swoon. But I couldn't settle for celibacy on his part, no way.

And haven't we already had that scenario with Michael J Fox in the movie Doc?

Hollywood will just make him a caricature...or House

No, no, no. Not Kelsey Grammer. Ugh.

I would go with the guy I compared MC to recently, Jeff Daniels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no, no. Not Kelsey Grammer. Ugh.

I would go with the guy I compared MC to recently, Jeff Daniels.

How could I forget Jeff Daniels -- my "neighbor." I think he would be good. But not Martin Clunes.

I guess I should get around to watching Newsroom.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    How could I forget Jeff Daniels -- my "neighbor." I think he would be good. But not Martin Clunes.

I guess I should get around to watching Newsroom.

The Newsroom is an excellent show. Great television. It's very exciting.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62587488@N02/sets/72157632664850861/

I'm still waiting for the Radio Times magazine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »

LOVE The Newsroom! I don't have HBO, but I managed to watch the first season ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Nice article - thanks Connie! Loved the last bit about the helicopter. Some people reading it might think he is full of himself for saying that, but anyone who knows anything about him knew exactly what he meant. No wonder he gets in trouble sometimes ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »

Absolutely agree about The Newsroom and Jeff Daniels. So who would play Louisa?
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, someone finally asked some different questions. Nice interview! Thanks Conniej! again.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Two great female actresses: Julianne Moore and Edie Falco. Possibly a little too old? And it's hard to see Edie Falco with just that touch of vulnerabiity that Caroline Catz brings to Louisa.

That's just to start the bidding.....
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Right, right, of course!

I think it is true for me that "every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man". A well dressed man is absolutely more handsome than someone lounging around in casual wear. That's part of why DM is so attractive to me, outside his complex personality

And, then, him taking off that jacket....!!! :):o

1. The carwash scene
    2. The Peter Cronk ambulance scene (Absolutely at the door to the operating room/theatre, they take each other's hand.)
    3. The on his knees by the pig scene

I can rewatch those scenes quite often! :)

Agreed! but dare I add
    4. the t-shirt under the suit at the end of the Peter Cronk hospital episode, too. Or maybe it is just the way he strides out of the hospital doors to the cab. Makes me insides go all jelly! (Jelly as in the Brit usage, of course.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you, Connie. Nice article, even if there was only about one sentence about DM. Good photos too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New chapter of Fanning the Flames now up: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7808596/1/Fanning-the-Flames
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    This week try and watch series 4 episode 1
    Better the Devil
    Written by: Jack Lothian
    Directed by: Ben Bolt

Life in the beautiful Cornish village of Portwenn has become ever more infuriating for Dr. Martin Ellingham since his and Louisa's heart-wrenching decision to call off their wedding. Louisa has left the village, and Martin has begun to question what keeps him in Cornwall. It's certainly not his relentlessly annoying patients. Mrs Tishell's husband Clive returns to his wife and concerns the doctor with his lack of hearing. Martin's ex-girlfriend Dr. Edith Montgomery aids a patient of his, and the pair immediately come to a disagreement over the patient's need for an operation.

This episode is a lot funnier than I remembered. E.G. -- in DM's first scene with Mrs. Tishell, in her new shop, notice how she slyly unbuttons the top two buttons of her sweater.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just watching the scene in the kitchen in S2 where Martin kisses Louisa, tells her he loves her and then passes out. Not for pleasure mind you, I'm working on something! ;)

While I love everything about this scene (especially the line, "What about well-meaning?"), one of my favorite little visuals In the scene is how the blanket that Louisa finds to wrap around Martin perfectly matches the stained glass in the door behind them. It catches my eye every single time. Props to the prop department!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member

I haven't seen Jeff Daniels in anything in so long, I'd have to do research. For Louisa, I really dig Laura Linney. I'll keep thinking. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. I wish I knew a way to get this video to Martin because he would love it. My sister in law posted the link to FB.

It is a small town in Colorado where every spring this big ranch needs to move 700 horses from their winter pastures to their spring pastures and they run them right through the main street in the town. Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbo8GDMsIz4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Wow. I wish I knew a way to get this video to Martin because he would love it. My sister in law posted the link to FB.

It is a small town in Colorado where every spring this big ranch needs to move 700 horses from their winter pastures to their spring pastures and they run them right through the main street in the town. Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbo8GDMsIz4

Not 700, but about 150 wild ponies swimming across the Assateague Channel to Chincoteague, VA. This is an old video, but the pony swim happens every year towards the end of July and is a sight to behold! Maybe MC could pick up a pony at the auction? He could use a few more. ;)
    http://youtu.be/qadOPc67tJ4
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is that you like to see a well-dressed man undressing?

Somehow I'm thinking that you're thinking that I'm not really thinking well watching a well-dressed physician in PW taking off his jacket and instead I get all emotional and non-sensical and don't quite make sense.

I agree! :D
This discussion has been closed.