Options

Caitlyn Jenner - AKA Bruce Jenner!

Comments

• Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something very unsettling about this new trend of celebrities undergoing sex changes in the full glare of the public eye

Is there anything whatsoever that is kept private nowadays?
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    There's something very unsettling about this new trend of celebrities undergoing sex changes in the full glare of the public eye

Is there anything whatsoever that is kept private nowadays?

What new 'trend' of celebs undergoing sex changes would that be? I can think of two people over the space of two years.

Hardly a trend.
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What new 'trend' of celebs undergoing sex changes would that be? I can think of two people over the space of two years.

Hardly a trend.

Compared to none before that....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I read a few articles on Bruce Jenner supposedly written by some psychologists, which is why I made those comments

Well then, confine your comments to Bruce Jenner instead of ignorantly generalising about transgender people at large.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I have absolutely no problem with transsexuals - I'm all for doing what you want to make you happy as life is too short - I'm just not sure posing in a basque on the front cover of Vanity Fair is the right way to go about introducing yourself for the first time!
  • Options
    girlinstaticgirlinstatic Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Well, a few of the comments on this thread are a tad ignorant.

I think she looks great. I cannot imagine what a prison life must be to born feeling that you are the wrong gender.

Exactly. I hate when people boohoo it. Lucky you if you feel you have the right body to your mind, it must be living hell to never feel comfortable with your gender. Right from babies we're conditioned to fit into our respective gender roles, blue for boys and pink for girls, barbies and kens, from jobs, love life and even which toilet you enter you wouldn't be able to get away from feeling tortured about not being the gender your mind is. People need to step back and think what a horrible existence that must be before judging.

Anyhoo, she looks a lot more convincing than I imagined, i'm really impressed. If this brings her ultimate happiness who is anyone to argue with that? :)
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a few articles on Bruce Jenner supposedly written by some psychologists, which is why I made those comments

You made extremely ignorant comments about transsexual people because of some supposed psychologists making assumptions about a complete stranger :confused:

Why?
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I crack up at the dentists now with all the options you have for gender. That is the reality how screwed up it has become.

So are you saying gay people are screwed up .too.? Transgender is not something people choose just as we don't choose to be gay or straight, black white etc. Isn't it better we have options now on forms rather than these people be marginalised through no fault of their own! Must be a shit childhood as it is without prejudice on top!!
  • Options
    kazzykazzy Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the name, it's my daughters name, but it's Caitlin with an I!!!
  • Options
    lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    You made extremely ignorant comments about transsexual people because of some supposed psychologists making assumptions about a complete stranger :confused:

Why?

Apologies if you found my comments ignorant. That wasn't at all my intention and I probably could have articulated what I wanted to say better. To answer your question, Maybe because being psychologists I perhaps naively assumed
    they knew what they were talking about and the article did seem quite assertive so it did make me think. Doesn't mean what I think is right - if anyone was to provide me with any other links which contradict what these articles say and are thought provoking, then I would be happy to read them and reevaluate my initial view
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She looks beautiful in the video/photos!

I agree with posters who say she looks like a brunette Jessica Lange and quite frankly is better looking than Kris!

I understand it must be hard for the family to come to terms with (especially the Jenner girls), but at the end of the day, it's what Caitlyn wants and it's visibly obvious how much happier she seems in herself now. May this be a beacon of light for the many people struggling with their gender identity, Caitlyn is a truly brave inspiration.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I crack up at the dentists now with all the options you have for gender. That is the reality how screwed up it has become.

The 1950s are calling. They want you back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KillerJoe wrote: »
    She looks beautiful in the video/photos!

I agree with posters who say she looks like a brunette Jessica Lange and quite frankly is better looking than Kris!

I understand it must be hard for the family to come to terms with (especially the Jenner girls), but at the end of the day, it's what Caitlyn wants and it's visibly obvious how much happier she seems in herself now. May this be a beacon of light for the many people struggling with their gender identity, Caitlyn is a truly brave inspiration.

:o But she's enhanced to buggery and looks nothing like that in reality.

Had Annie Leibovitz actually photographed the reality of her as she now is, and Jenner was brave eough to put it out there, then yes, possibly a beacon of light. As it is, both she and Jenner are presenting a totally false image for the sole purpose of enhancing her and Jenner's bank account.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    :o But she's enhanced to buggery and looks nothing like that in reality.

Had Annie Leibovitz actually photographed the reality of her as she now is, and Jenner was brave eough to put it out there, then yes, possibly a beacon of light. As it is, both she and Jenner are presenting a totally false image for the sole purpose of enhancing her and Jenner's bank account.

Revealing yourself after something like this is a huge thing and yes I'd want to look as amazing as possible - even if I was airbrushed to within an inch of my life!!

If Annie had photographed her in the reality of how she looks now she wouldn't be hailed a beacon of light she'd be ripped to pieces. She must be feeling pretty vulnerable - why make it any worse.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To any negative comments, you should all be very thankful your not trans.

I am. Semi-closeted. It a living hell.

When they say 'I'm trapped In the wrong body'. that's not a metaphor. My body feels alien to me, I find certain aspects, like needing a shave, give me a severe depression.

If catalin's happy, god bless. I hope I can be as happy In the future...
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    She looks lovely, and although I have no time for her and her reality TV extended family, she is doing a great service for trans people everywhere, the publicity is all good, and raises awareness. I hope she, and all transgender people find happiness and peace.
    Some of the uneducated comments on here are a bit shocking.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    She looks great

Go Caitlyn

Lovely name.

I do wonder if NOT spelling it with a K is saying something...
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no problem with transsexuals - I'm all for doing what you want to make you happy as life is too short - I'm just not sure posing in a basque on the front cover of Vanity Fair is the right way to go about introducing yourself for the first time!

I agree. I really don't have problem with transgender people and think it is really important in life to be who we want to be. We have a right to be ourselves. However - why does everything with this family have to be so attention seeking and high profile. That's the aspect I can't stand. I don't think he looks beautiful either. That's not a criticism of him for being a transgender person - that's a criticism of how he looks. Have seen photos of transgender men who are really beautiful and he isn't.
  • Options
    BertCleeverhookBertCleeverhook Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    I do wonder if NOT spelling it with a K is saying something...

Her son's dating a woman named Kaitlynn so that may have played a part in the spelling.

CFCJM1 wrote: »
    I agree. I really don't have problem with transgender people and think it is really important in life to be who we want to be. We have a right to be ourselves. However - why does everything with this family have to be so attention seeking and high profile. That's the aspect I can't stand. I don't think he looks beautiful either. That's not a criticism of him for being a transgender person - that's a criticism of how he looks. Have seen photos of transgender men who are really beautiful and he isn't.

The fact that you continually use male pronouns and even "transgender men" whilst talking about her says otherwise.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that you continually use male pronouns and even "transgender men" whilst talking about her says otherwise.

Don't tell me what I think. After all my years on earth I am fully aware of what I feel about a situation . Its just human error - I have witnessed Bruce as a man for 10 years or so - and it takes an adjustment for all of us to suddenly accept he is now a she.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »

Is this the new "I have a gay friend" ?
  • Options
    HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, I can't stand this man and his idiot family, and I particularly can't stand the manner in which he has milked this to the hilt for attention and money - but your comment above re those who find themselves in the wrong body is seriously ignorant.

Buy a clue and read up about it.

I think that's a little harsh, I don't think the poster has insulted transgender people but raised a valid question.

The attempted suicide/ suicide rates among transgender (pre and post op) are frightening, in the general population suicide rates are between 1 - 2 % amongst transgender to jumps to nearly 40%

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/lgbt/transgender-suicide/

And there is a lot of respected psychiatrists that see it as a form of body dismorphic disorder:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solution-1402615120

Now I don't have any problem with sex changes at all, if changing your gender makes you happy then I'm all for it.

But the suicide rates of post-op transgender people suggests there may be something more psychological beneath it all.

And if the surgery ultimately doesn't help people accept themselves, surely looking at the psycho-social aspect is just as important as physically altering yourself.

When 40%(!) of a group of people are attempting suicide, it's horrific and needs to be looked at.
  • Options
    tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm team Bruce/Caitlyn all the way.

I know a lot of people are Kardashian haters - I actually like them - and I think their reaction to Bruce in last weekends double bill was loving and accepting. I think they should be proud of themselves and Bruce/Caitlyn should be proud of what he is doing for a marginalized community.

Yes, they milk the fame, but so what. Get over it.
  • Options
    lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her son's dating a woman named Kaitlynn so that may have played a part .

Possibly, although I think she chose the name she liked and which resonated with her, rather than trying to avoid another spelling because of her son's latest girlfriend.

Also the whole K thing was probably a further reflection of Kris's controlling ways which fitted her ex husbands surname. Caitlin even named her own daughters in that way I.e Kendal and Kylie even though she has nothing to do with Robert Kardashian Sr.

ETA he used the name since childhood apparently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3106591/I-mistreated-Caitlyn-Jenner-marriage-controlling-Kris-Jenner-matriarch-brands-ex-passive-aggressive.html
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I think it's all very well and good, a lot of posters on here are cheering for this person,saying how proud he should be and how beautiful he now looks as a woman. At the end of the day, I doubt anyone will be involved in this persons life, so it doesn't matter what anyone thinks really, but I'll be interested to know, if a group of women were sat around the table all talking about the usual stuff along with a few drinks, and a transgender woman was sat there as well, who only 6 months ago used to be a man.

Is there noone on here that is going to admit to feeling a bit odd about this? And would you speak to them in exactly the same way, or would the fact that they used to be a man enter your head at all....

I have no experience of this, don't know anyone who's gone from a man to a woman and vice versa, and the fact is, it is well beyond me and I just don't understand it.