Options

Hospital receptionist who took prank Royal call has committed suicide

Comments

• Options
    thegirlinpinkthegirlinpink Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Poor woman. Very shocking though - she must have had other problems because I can't believe anyone would react so severely to even that prank.

Feel awful for her, and her family/friends/fellow staff members. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only DM is leading with this at the moment. Shocking news, the authorities must have put her under so much pressure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two prank callers will now face an enormous backlash and will probably lose their jobs, which I don't think is fair. Nobody could expect this from a silly little prank phone call.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    how awful!

Bet the prank callers feel terrible.

But I don't think it should have ever been done!
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor woman. Very shocking though - she must have had other problems because I can't believe anyone would react so severely to even that prank.

Indeed. Very sad though. I hope people can refrain from directing too much abuse at the 'pranksters' though - whether or not the woman killed herself because of the (admittedly unfunny) prank, it wasn't meant to harm anybody.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops i started a thread on this also and couldnt delete.

I would imagine this lady would be about to lose her job, probably had notice of disciplinary hearing so maybe thats why
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    The two prank callers will now face an enormous backlash and will probably lose their jobs, which I don't think is fair. Nobody could expect this from a silly little prank phone call.
    how awful!

Bet the prank callers feel terrible.

But I don't think it should have ever been done!

How about the pressure afterwards? That seemed way OTT to me at the time.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's a horrible ending to a jolly jape.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's really sad. I wonder if was related to the prank call? If it was she must have been suffering depression beforehand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone should come under fire, it is those who put pressure on the nurse. I.e management who wanted to discipline her, or the Royal Family if they tried to put pressure on management.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It probably wasnt due to the actual prank, more the fact she would have probably lost her career over it.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    Oh, that's really sad. I wonder if was related to the prank call? If it was she must have been suffering depression beforehand.

It could just be depression fullstop. May not be connected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Very sad though. I hope people can refrain from directing too much abuse at the 'pranksters' though - whether or not the woman killed herself because of the (admittedly unfunny) prank, it wasn't meant to harm anybody.

I hope they lose their jobs and never work in broadcasting again.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Im sure the DJs didn't mean to cause harm to anyone indirectly. BUT, maybe the hospital and palace didn't appreciate her giving out information so willy nilly. Maybe the nurse was given a warning / dressing down and made to feel guilty ?. We don't know what went on behind the scenes, and never will. But, i do think the DJs need to be made somewhat accountable for their actions.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably wasnt due to the actual prank, more the fact she would have probably lost her career over it.

Makes you wonder what the "pranksters" thought would happen to the staff that they were talking to, wondered if they would get into trouble, get discplined or get sacked - or maybe they didn't care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it wasn't meant to harm anybody.

While I don't think the pranksters can/should be blamed, I will say I have always hated pranking in general because however much people insist it's a laugh and just a joke the intent is always humiliation and I can't stomach that kind of thing even in minor forms because you just don't know how it will truly affect the "victims". I will go as far to say in some circumstances pranking is a form of emotional abuse...yes, I honestly believe that.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It could just be depression fullstop. May not be connected.

Yeah, true.
  • Options
    Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is simply awful.

Hope these 2 australian p*^cks live a happy life knowing they indirectly caused someone's death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

The two radio presenters must have known that whoever answered the phone would probably end up getting sacked.

Immature ****s the pair of them.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey. :(

I wonder which lady it was, the first one or the second? Had they been suspended I wonder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Makes you wonder what the "pranksters" thought would happen to the staff that they were talking to, wondered if they would get into trouble, get discplined or get sacked - or maybe they didn't care.

It's a hard one. I dont think they properly thought it through to be honest. Probably just seen as a bit of fun.

Bet they regret it now though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    I hope they lose their jobs and never work in broadcasting again.

Why?..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    While I don't think the pranksters can/should be blamed, I will say I have always hated pranking in general because however much people insist it's a laugh and just a joke the intent is always humiliation and I can't stomach that kind of thing even in minor forms because you just don't know how it will truly affect the "victims". I will go as far to say in some circumstances pranking is a form of emotional abuse...yes, I honestly believe that.

It certainly makes me feel uneasy too.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's a good point. I think the hospital would have been ridiculous for sacking or even cautioning her though. The only people deserving of blame for the prank in the first place are the DJs.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, I very much agree with you, hence me noting that the prank wasn't funny. I hate pranks too, actually.

I was just pointing out that this outcome (if indeed the prank was the cause of the woman's apparent suicide) couldn't have been predicted and certainly wouldn't have been what the pranksters wanted.

Regardless, it's a very sad outcome. Many lives ruined, no doubt.
This discussion has been closed.