Options

Dog owners in Wales - be aware!

IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
Forum Member
In a nutshell, if your dog is in its own home/on its own land and bites a burglar in the same area, then you and the dog will be breaking the law according to a proposed new Welsh law currently in consultation until 1st March:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-20891039

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/wales/9774568/Two-years-if-your-dog-bites-a-burglar.html

Sounds bloody daft to me.

According to the Telegraph article:

"The bill was launched by John Griffiths, the Welsh Government’s Environment Minister, who was himself bitten while working as a postman".

Comments

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of consultations is that people respond with such concerns and then they are taken on board by the policy developers.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s ridiculous already.
    The current Animal Welfare Act provides for owners to be jailed for a maximum of six months and fined up to £20,000
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mentally retarded law, hope this is thrown in the rubbish WHERE IT BELONGS!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it`s ridiculous already.

"The current Animal Welfare Act provides for owners to be jailed for a maximum of six months and fined up to £20,000 "

True, but that doesn't apply to the dog being agressive on their own property. If, for example, somebody was being attacked in their own home and their own dog defended the owner by attacking the assailant, then the dog and their owner would be breaking the law ..... IF the proposed new law was made law.

The same goes for the dog being deliberately provoked by and intruder/visitor in its own home/on its owners land.

People are now allowed to use reasonable force to defend their property from anyone who isn't supposed to be there (burglars for example) so I'm not sure what the Welsh government is thinking of here. A dog will instinctively protect its own property and its owners.

I see that people can respond to the draft proposal by going to this web site:

www.wales.gov.uk/consultations

and/or writing to this email address:

companionanimalwelfare@wales.gsi.gov.uk

More details in the consultation document:

http://wales.gov.uk/docs/drah/consultation/121122dangerousdogsconsultationen.pdf
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    "The current Animal Welfare Act provides for owners to be jailed for a maximum of six months and fined up to £20,000 "

True, but that doesn't apply to the dog being agressive on their own property. If, for example, somebody was being attacked in their own home and their own dog defended the owner by attacking the assailant, then the dog and their owner would be breaking the law ..... IF the proposed new law was made law.

The same goes for the dog being deliberately provoked by and intruder/visitor in its own home/on its owners land.

People are now allowed to use reasonable force to defend their property from anyone who isn't supposed to be there (burglars for example) so I'm not sure what the Welsh government is thinking of here. A dog will instinctively protect its own property and its owners.

I see that people can respond to the draft proposal by going to this web site:

www.wales.gov.uk/consultations

and/or writing to this email address:

companionanimalwelfare@wales.gsi.gov.uk

More details in the consultation document:

http://wales.gov.uk/docs/drah/consultation/121122dangerousdogsconsultationen.pdf
    the telegraph report is misleading then, sorry:o
  • Options
    Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope this John Griffiths gets burgled then he might launch a bill to protect homeowners rather than scum.

********!
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel ashamed to be Welsh with this stupid law. What happened to a bit of common sense being used by everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Woohoo, I can sue that bloody Yorkshire Terrier that tries to attack me every time I go down my street. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another bit of idiocy from the environmental department.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will probably cause less hassle for the owners to bite people instead of the dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    It will probably cause less hassle for the owners to bite people instead of the dog.

You know, you're not wrong there! Let's all sharpen our canine teeth. ;)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,952
    Forum Member
    Good laws, bad laws. This doesn't sound a good one to me.

The 5p charge for a carrier bag is good though. Carrier purchase in Wales has plummeted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Good laws, bad laws. This doesn't sound a good one to me.

The 5p charge for a carrier bag is good though. Carrier purchase in Wales has plummeted.

I'd agree if the money went to local causes, it doesn't. Mind you it's easier to take the car and do a big shop and throw it all in the boot straight out of the trolley ;)
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, the new law will only affect those unpleasant people that thought it was somehow cool get themselves an overly-muscled Staffy or some other type of agressive dog.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,952
    Forum Member
    I'd agree if the money went to local causes, it doesn't.

It goes to the Assembly does it?
    I've no idea.

Good for the environment though, whoever gets the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do find it rather telling that:

"The bill was launched by John Griffiths, the Welsh Government’s Environment Minister, who was himself bitten while working as a postman".

While I can sympathise with the guy, he's now proposing the use of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    It goes to the Assembly does it?
    I've no idea.

Good for the environment though, whoever gets the money.

The intention was for it to go to environmental projects, but the shops just give it to whatever charity they feel like and don't put much thought into it either and just give it to the usual big name nationals like NSPCC etc instead of looking around the surrounding area for good causes.

http://www.carrierbagchargewales.gov.uk/retailers/faq/admin/?lang=en
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find it rather telling that:

While I can sympathise with the guy, he's now proposing the use of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Simply to get his name in the law changing history books, same as the bag charging woman before she p*ssed off with her big pension (it also took a lot of car journeys to meetings to make the decision)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simply to get his name in the law changing history books, same as the bag charging woman before she p*ssed off with her big pension (it also took a lot of car journeys to meetings to make the decision)

That sounds likely.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a nutshell, if your dog is in its own home/on its own land and bites a burglar in the same area, then you and the dog will be breaking the law according to a proposed new Welsh law currently in consultation until 1st March:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-20891039

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/wales/9774568/Two-years-if-your-dog-bites-a-burglar.html

Sounds bloody daft to me.

According to the Telegraph article:

What has the world come to, where has the rule of self deference gone, there will more likely be more death increases, because people cant defend them selves and cannot physically harm or shoot an attacker that is in there own home, because of the fact of being thrown in jail.

now they bring dogs into this :mad::mad::mad:

What are people meant to do, just stand there and let them rob the place and leave and are never found again by the police,

hitting a robber should be legalized in the UK,