Options

Amazon Customer Service.

stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
Forum Member
✭✭
Have to hand it to them they are ace, the lawnmower I have has just broken down days before the end of the years guarantee. Only used it a few times last summer but dragged it out of the shed for this year's tedious return of the grass only to find the blade not spinning and a burning smell that suggests if I keep trying the motor will catch fire.

CS guy got back to my email in a couple of hours and had arranged a replacement with one day shipping if I required it or a refund - even apologized for expecting me to reply to the email to let him know which I preferred.

With it being literally one day shy from the end of the year's guarantee I can only imagine the crap I would have to go through if I had bought it on the high street.

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good service.But I wouldn't want to work as a picker.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it amazon or was it a third party company selling on Amazon?

I know that Amazon CS staff are first class, from when I had to speak to a delightful American when I had a problem with my GTA5 pre-order last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the original order was from a third party seller 'fulfilled by Amazon', currently the mower says fulfilled by Amazon. My mower wasn't listed on the returns section which worried me, used to just clicking a few buttons and getting it sorted but one email to them and they have sent me a returns label and are going to collect the broken one and I'll get my refund.

Everything these days is so throwaway I imagine it will be binned.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Indeed they are superb.

I have a Google Chromecast which decided to give up the ghost yesterday. I spoke to someone on the live chat who has sent another free of charge with next day delivery so should get it today!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Can't fault it personally. Some retailers need to take lessons from Amazon.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72362297&postcount=10
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I love Amazon customer service.

I did have a problem with one assistant via chat for not answering my questions. Just a lot of long pauses and generic "I'm sorry to hear that you blah blah" responses.

As I was about to blow a fuse out of frustration, someone took over and somehow managed to smooth my ruffled feathers enough to settle the matter well. I suspect the assistant was a trainee. I wish they had warned me at the start because I'd be more patient and understanding if I knew.

Apart from that, Amazon customer service is great.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see they've invested their tax avoidance savings into the customer service side.

Now if only more retailers could follow their example. Hmmm
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Good to see they've invested their tax avoidance savings into the customer service side.

Now if only more retailers could follow their example. Hmmm

Tax avoidance is legal. Take it up with the government if you have an issue with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a disaster, DPD wouldn't take my mower because it wasn't in a box. Wasn't expecting them this quick either, super fast customer service has it drawbacks. Hadn't even read my emails or taken apart the thing to find them at the front door asking for it. :(

Asked for a replacement instead as they originally offered, ordering a cardboard box will cost more in postage than the actual box so I'll use the new box to send back the old. Thought a taped up bin bag would be more than adequate, considering the thing is broken already.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Tax avoidance is legal. Take it up with the government if you have an issue with this.

Yep I know tax avoidance is legal oh wise one. Wouldn't do the country much good if everyone did it though would it?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    What a disaster, DPD wouldn't take my mower because it wasn't in a box. Wasn't expecting them this quick either, super fast customer service has it drawbacks. Hadn't even read my emails or taken apart the thing to find them at the front door asking for it. :(

Asked for a replacement instead as they originally offered, ordering a cardboard box will cost more in postage than the actual box so I'll use the new box to send back the old. Thought a taped up bin bag would be more than adequate, considering the thing is broken already.

Such an awkward thing to wrap I should imagine. That's the thing though how many keep the original boxes when something has been working okay for a while? I do keep some (like the large boxes my pc towers came in) but generally discard the packaging when I find the item is working ok as even flattened they can take up a lot of storage space.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call again and ask the nice chap at amazon to send you a box
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm tired of hearing this justification. Obviously avoiding breaking a law is legal, how could it not be?

There is in fact no way to make avoiding breaking a law a crime!

Therefore it's a moral issue not a legal one, and thus criticism of the immoral behavoir of Amazon is entirely justified.

Or is immorality all right if big American companies do it?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They all dance to the tune of multi billionaire Jeff Bezoz. ;-)

Very interesting documentary about the rise and rise of Amazon this week.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I'm tired of hearing this justification. Obviously avoiding breaking a law is legal, how could it not be?

Therefore it's a moral issue not a legal one, and thus criticism of the immoral behavoir of Amazon is entirely justified.

It's generally considered 'alright' when any big companies indulge this, including UK companies (most notable ones being Pharmaceutical) who constantly shift vast sums of money around on an almost daily basis in order to dodge tax. Morals don't apply to them.....they are exempt!

The 'little man' rarely has enough money to warrant it but woe betide those that dare try.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it wasn't for tax avoidance, this country would've been completely screwed years ago. It was devised as a way of begging organisations not to outsource *all* their jobs overseas.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's down to our masters in Brussels who layed the ground rules and allowed companies to set up shop in the country with the lowest tax rate. They are doing nothing wrong if the goverment and the EU allows them to get away with it.

Are you telling me that if you had an income of £2 million a year and an accountant told you that by setting up a company called Tassium limited and funnuling your income through it could pay 20% tax rather than 50% you wouldn't do it? If you say no, I don't believe you.

No individual or company has an obligation to pay anymore tax than they legally have to.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

It would be if taxation was a moral issue though. Do you pay tax because you feel morally obliged to or because it is extracted from you legally under threat of penalty? How much would you donate if tax was optional?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway - back to the OP

I just returned a GPS watch that cost £160 that I bought two years ago with a one year warranty.
    The casing is all in one and the strap broke.
    I contacted the manufacturer.
    They wanted £60 plus postage both ways to repair.
    The watch was by now selling at £118.
    I passed the complaint to Amazon as the retailer.
    They refunded the £160 plus my postage costs.

My daughter bought a £300 phone (on my account) through a third party via Amazon.
    It became faulty within 3 months and the supplier wouldn't respond.
    Informed Amazon and they refunded in full and didn't ask for the phone back.
    Daughter got phone repaired.

I'm pretty sure your purchasing track record plays a part.
    I'm been a huge fan of Amazon for many years..
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Therefore it's a moral issue not a legal one, and thus criticism of the immoral behavoir of Amazon is entirely justified

I don't think it is. The directors of Amazon would be failing in their duty to their shareholders if they did not try to minimize the tax paid.
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worked as a cs for amazon two years ago, to be fair they give you excellent paid training to deal with all types of queries. You are marked on your feedback so it's important that you are on top of things at all times. Only left as I got a job in my field.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Have to hand it to them they are ace, the lawnmower I have has just broken down days before the end of the years guarantee. Only used it a few times last summer but dragged it out of the shed for this year's tedious return of the grass only to find the blade not spinning and a burning smell that suggests if I keep trying the motor will catch fire.

CS guy got back to my email in a couple of hours and had arranged a replacement with one day shipping if I required it or a refund - even apologized for expecting me to reply to the email to let him know which I preferred.

With it being literally one day shy from the end of the year's guarantee I can only imagine the crap I would have to go through if I had bought it on the high street.

I agree that the people at Amazon customer service are very friendly. No wonder Amazon's as popular as it is. For service, they're just a great company. As far as my experiences go, a very reliable company.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Good service.But I wouldn't want to work as a picker.

Yeah, I wasn't very impressed when I watched that undercover documentary about what it was like to be a picker for Amazon.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    They are slow to dispatch orders, sometimes but when problems do happen, they are ace, the best in the business
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I shop at Amazon. It offers fantastic service and products are often cheaper than elsewhere.