ITV ‘baffled’ by Coronation Street ratings decline

Comments

• srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Corrie is so bad I'm thinking of giving up for good. There's only David, Mary and the fact the Neil story is unintentionally hilarious that are keeping me watching. Maddeh has actually grown on me a lot too. Otherwise, couldn't care less about any of it.
  • tripitakatripitaka Posts: 5,636
    Forum Member
    this ludicrous 2 month plot driven storyline.

they all seem to run out of steam and they they've written themselves into a corner, the prison stuff is a good example, it wasn't bad at first but its just got silly now. Jim was always an oaf who liked a fight but he doesn't cut it as Strangeway's Mr Big. Prison's are full of serious career criminals, he was an idiot who tried to rob a building society on a whim.

Same with panto villain Todd, there is nothing of his old personality left.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    If ITV execs really are baffled then I find it hard to do anything but conclude that they have become seriously complacent and taken their bedrock jewel of Coronation Street and more importantly its viewers for granted.
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The silly ongoing storyline with Neil Andrea and Lloyd has done it for me. It's ludicrous and so unreal. If I was Andrea (or Lloyd) I would call the police and report him (Neal) for harassment. Prior to that the totally unbelievable story of Peter and Tina was what put me off. Totally unreal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If ITV execs really are baffled then I find it hard to do anything but conclude that they have become seriously complacent and taken their bedrock jewel of Coronation Street and more importantly its viewers for granted.

these things go in cycles don't they. eastenders had a rough three year patch, emmerdale has its high's and low's, it just doesn't get reported and get's the coverage the other big 2 get. now its corrie's turn. hoepfully it won't last 3 years. ;-)

one things for sure itv will take action, they won't run their jewel in the crown into the ground. also as good as emmerdale is, they won't let it overtake corrie. ;-)
  • narobi83narobi83 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    The mention of Peter & Tina being thrown together destroying characters in the process and viewers being told it was a huge love story by SB reminds me of the same rubbish he spouted about Marlon & Laurel after ruining Ashley's character for the sake of an elder abuse plot. That story could have been so much more and highlighted how families do struggle to cope and can reach breaking point when left to care for elderly relatives, instead Ashley assaulted his father with very little build up, there was a bit of chaos and Ashley went funny resulting in him growing a beard and living on the streets. More mental illness in men!!! SB is clueless about mental illness and has no idea about structuring realistic romantic relationships that actually are able to display love. He then says, "Who cares if the characters have zero chemistry so that we can't convey what I want to on screen, which is this big love story that I had in my head. It isn't happening so I'll do numerous interviews and tell the audience that it is a great love story and maybe hearing or reading about it will convince them". If you're having to tell your audience what is happening then it's probably best to acknowledge that what's being shown is poor and not getting the message across so rethink the direction of the plot.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,778
    Forum Member
    Really? Its not occured to them that too many episodes have affected the quality of whats going out?

I mean why don't they do some compariosons to how well the programme was recieved when there was just 2 or 3 episodes a week to god knows how many they put out these days a week.

In a nutshell, go for quality over quantity!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    While Tracy ( Flipping Murderer) Barlow and David Platt are walking the street, viewers are not going to be happy.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many rubbish stories. Sick of Peter Barlow now, Gail is acting completely out of character
    Todd needs to disappear without a trace.
    Get rid of Tony and that awful woman trying to turn the cafe into a library, in fact get rid of her whole family, they add nothing. Hate the whole Andrea/Neil storyline. And Itv wonder why they are sliding in the ratings?
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    You could actually write the storylines yourself, so predictable. Too many episodes, too thinly spread, characters out of character and the odious Kym Marsh.

Tells you all you need to know.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Really? Its not occured to them that too many episodes have affected the quality of whats going out?

I mean why don't they do some compariosons to how well the programme was recieved when there was just 2 or 3 episodes a week to god knows how many they put out these days a week.

In a nutshell, go for quality over quantity!

Corrie has had 5 episodes per week since April 2002, but it's only in recent years the quality has nosedived, so it would suggest that has little bearing on quality. Also, after adverts, the length of Corrie is no longer than EE, but EE isn't having a problem of producing quality episodes.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The problem i see with corrie at the minute is that is seems to be on "pause". The majority of the scenes dont seem to add anything to the storyline and are just pointless filler to take up time.

Its almost as if they are scared to do anything major so keep the characters just ticking along without doing anything significant. Thats why we keep getting the same drivel over again.

There used to be a point where if you missed a day of a soap you couldnt really watch the next day until you had caught up. With corrie you can miss several in a row and not miss anything significant to any actual storylines. Each day is the same.

If you miss a show you will likely miss:

1. Andrea and lloyd kissing and being stalked
    2. Everyone slagging off todd
    3. Michael and gail being all soppy
    4. Jim saying so it does after every sentence.

But youve seen all that in the previous episode and you will see it all again in the next episode so you havent actually missed anything!
  • daniel4389daniel4389 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    The problem i see with corrie at the minute is that is seems to be on "pause". The majority of the scenes dont seem to add anything to the storyline and are just pointless filler to take up time.

Its almost as if they are scared to do anything major so keep the characters just ticking along without doing anything significant. Thats why we keep getting the same drivel over again.

There used to be a point where if you missed a day of a soap you couldnt really watch the next day until you had caught up. With corrie you can miss several in a row and not miss anything significant to any actual storylines. Each day is the same.

If you miss a show you will likely miss:

1. Andrea and lloyd kissing and being stalked
    2. Everyone slagging off todd
    3. Michael and gail being all soppy
    4. Jim saying so it does after every sentence.

But youve seen all that in the previous episode and you will see it all again in the next episode so you havent actually missed anything!

Very true - I tried to watch Monday's episode last night on iPlayer and it actually showed me Wednesday's...I didn't even notice until it got to the end!
  • julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    You could actually write the storylines yourself, so predictable. Too many episodes, too thinly spread, characters out of character and the odious Kym Marsh.

Tells you all you need to know.
    I agree
    Tyrone and the loft conversion saga bored me to tears so predictable , also where did peter get his hair dye from in prison and what twit decided tina or Carla would be attracted to him and his problems ? Kim is also pointless along with flipping blooming steve who has morphed into a weak gurning idiot
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The producer uses Coronation Street as his own play-pen, with no regard to what the viewers want to watch. He introduced the repulsive character of Maddie; then, because nobody wanted to watch her, he changed her character to a kindly, child-loving, animal-loving domestic goddess; and viewers still don't want to watch her and the equally talentless Sophie. Nobody higher up the chain of command seems able or willing to check him. Now he is going to run the Emmerdale plot of Ali Spencer being illiterate, using Tim, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give Maddie the lead in that story as well. I was hoping for the return of Jim Macdonald, but he also has been given a character transplant; Jim is no longer a loveable rogue but a vicious thug who I would not welcome back into Coronation Street. If he is allowed to run the planned story of a 12 year-old girl having sex, I think the ratings will plummet even further. We can but hope that this producer's contract doesn't have much longer to run.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he is allowed to run the planned story of a 12 year-old girl having sex, I think the ratings will plummet even further. We can but hope that this producer's contract doesn't have much longer to run.

I don't think it would plummet ratings. Sarah Platt got pregnant at 13 in 2000 and ratings didn't plummet.
  • rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I think I watch more out of habit than anything else. Most of the storylines are awful. Kal and his family need butchered soon, whoever thought they were good at acting should lose their job.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    I don't think it would plummet ratings. Sarah Platt got pregnant at 13 in 2000 and ratings didn't plummet.

Then, Corrie was well produced and the actress that played Sarah could at least act.
    I appreciate that the actress that plays Faye is young, but she is not a good actress.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rory r wrote: »
    I think I watch more out of habit than anything else. Most of the storylines are awful. Kal and his family need butchered soon, whoever thought they were good at acting should lose their job.

I also only watch now out of habit.

I have watched since episode one when a young boy.

I cannot recall the last time I enjoyed a storyline.
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    While Tracy ( Flipping Murderer) Barlow and David Platt are walking the street, viewers are not going to be happy.

but they're fan favourites to be honest. I reckon the ratings are down because of awful writing, boring story lines and the wrong characters getting screen time and new characters being introduced who are astronomically bad (Nazirs, Madduh)
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can the people paid to oversee this possibly be baffled? Do they sit there scratching their heads totally unable to comprehend why viewers are deserting CS? They have a professional knowledge and interest in making good television yet are incapable of imagining a plane of a parallel distant universe where less people watch Coronation Street without a fathomable reason?
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The producer uses Coronation Street as his own play-pen, with no regard to what the viewers want to watch. He introduced the repulsive character of Maddie; then, because nobody wanted to watch her, he changed her character to a kindly, child-loving, animal-loving domestic goddess; and viewers still don't want to watch her and the equally talentless Sophie. Nobody higher up the chain of command seems able or willing to check him. Now he is going to run the Emmerdale plot of Ali Spencer being illiterate, using Tim, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give Maddie the lead in that story as well. I was hoping for the return of Jim Macdonald, but he also has been given a character transplant; Jim is no longer a loveable rogue but a vicious thug who I would not welcome back into Coronation Street. If he is allowed to run the planned story of a 12 year-old girl having sex, I think the ratings will plummet even further. We can but hope that this producer's contract doesn't have much longer to run.

Janet, you are spot on. "Uses Coronation Street as his own private play pen" :D:D Snigger snigger. He seems to be recycling all the Emmerdale s/ls and characters, Maddie for Amy, Todd for Aaron, simpering Gail for simpering Laurel. How he is still employed is ridiculous.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member

All producers use the series they are running as their own play pen. That is the whole point of being a producer. It is what they do.

So he is using some storylines that he used on another soap. As I don't watch that other soap it makes no difference to me.

Finally I quite like Sophie and Maddie and thing that they could turn into a good pairing.

As for Maddie's attitude change. Is that any different from Leanne, Toyah, Becky & Kylie have a change in their attitude after they had been on for a while.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not keen on the 'dead wood' cliché which usually just means 'characters I don't like', and to call Ken, Deirdre and Gail dead wood is absurd. And I can't see why the number of episodes each week is significant since if you've got it right, then the number isn't relevant.

There do seem to be some problems at the moment with storylines taking precedence over character, and even the ending of SLs being botched. As has been said here, what a missed opportunity when Carla who had been doubly betrayed did not confront Tina. And why did Hayley's death have to be sensationalised by her suicide.

I don't honestly think it's as disastrously awful as is suggested by some, but it could certainly do with some work.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tripitaka wrote: »
    they all seem to run out of steam and they they've written themselves into a corner, the prison stuff is a good example, it wasn't bad at first but its just got silly now. Jim was always an oaf who liked a fight but he doesn't cut it as Strangeway's Mr Big. Prison's are full of serious career criminals, he was an idiot who tried to rob a building society on a whim.

Same with panto villain Todd, there is nothing of his old personality left.

Also, the fact that JIm's been dumped by his whole family is unrealistic. In ther real world, people have shades of grey and they forgive people for their transgressions. Why are LIz and Steve so anti Jim in the first place? He tried to rob the building society to raise the money for Liz to buy the Rovers - not because he's some sort of criminal sociopath, but because he has ridiculous romantic illusions about himself and Elizabeth.

I think this is why Corrie is going down the toilet. We do like some consistency and realism with our characters. It's very difficult to care about any of them these days (apart from Roy)

And don't get me started on the ridiculous Eccles bites Amy so must be put down storyline - Amy didn't even have a graze. And why has she suddenly turned into Damien?