Options

Is it time for ID cards in the UK?

Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
Forum Member
✭✭
Transport links via the channel tunnel are yet again being interrupted because of would-be immigrants trying access UK bound vehicles.

One of the reasons put forward for them targeting the UK is that it is possible to work under the radar, partly because of lack of ID cards.

Once they are here, even if the authorities find them, we don't know how long they have been here.

Would now be the time to draw a line on what has gone on before, and concentrate on the future? How about bringing in ID cards for all. If you are already here (illegally), you can still get a card valid for, say, 5 years, during which time you have to show you are working and fitting in with society.

Then, going forward, anyone arriving illegally (along with those who failed to register when they had the chance) will be seen as illegal and still subject to sanction and removal.

Comments

• Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No...........
  • Options
    liftmasterliftmaster Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with ID cards.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.No.No.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    What would be the cost of implementing and administering it? Is it worth it...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe everything can be condensed onto one standard ID card...driving licence, birth details, passport etc etc.
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liftmaster wrote: »

Okay let's make it the equivalent of a driving licence. Of course it will cost you £20 to start with and nobody minds if it includes past transgressions on a separate sheet do they? Just to make it easier to sort out the criminals you understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe everything can be condensed onto one standard ID card...driving licence, birth details, passport etc etc.

I would quite like the convenience of such a card.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Surely the issue is what you do with illegals, not identifying them.

Currently if you cannot prove where they come from you cannot deport them.

The emphasis has to be on preventing them arriving in the first place.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Nope. I'm not having an ID card just because the government decides to open the borders to everyone and now complain that too many people are coming in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Surely the issue is what you do with illegals, not identifying them.

Currently if you cannot prove where they come from you cannot deport them.

The emphasis has to be on preventing them arriving in the first place.

I have heard it reported that one of the attractions for the migrants is that the UK doesn't have ID cards. I don't know if it is true, but if it is, then there might be a benefit.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Blood test them like they do in Spain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard it reported that one of the attractions for the migrants is that the UK doesn't have ID cards. I don't know if it is true, but if it is, then there might be a benefit.

May explain why upwards of a thousand staged a mass assault on the tunnel last night. >:(
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    May explain why upwards of a thousand staged a mass assault on the tunnel last night. >:(

I think most of that is an over exaggeration. I went to Calais last week and certainly did not see that many. 20 maybe but not thousands.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I've no problem with ID cards although I'm not as strong in favour as some of those against it will be who see this kind of thing as a tiptoe down a slippery slope into an authoritarian state akin to Big Brother.

I think if it's widely used in other countries and appears to be accepted then it's worth serious consideration here. Personally it wouldn't bother me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been stated on many media outlets and by a variety of sources that around 5000 are scattered around the Calais area.

I'd do a leaflet drop informing them that Chenobyl is just as good as England and lay on free transport.
  • Options
    John_Smith86John_Smith86 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Transport links via the channel tunnel are yet again being interrupted because of would-be immigrants trying access UK bound vehicles.

One of the reasons put forward for them targeting the UK is that it is possible to work under the radar, partly because of lack of ID cards.

Once they are here, even if the authorities find them, we don't know how long they have been here.

Would now be the time to draw a line on what has gone on before, and concentrate on the future? How about bringing in ID cards for all. If you are already here (illegally), you can still get a card valid for, say, 5 years, during which time you have to show you are working and fitting in with society.

Then, going forward, anyone arriving illegally (along with those who failed to register when they had the chance) will be seen as illegal and still subject to sanction and removal.

I like ID cards myself, everyone should have them.

How is Sheffield?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've no problem with ID cards although I'm not as strong in favour as some of those against it will be who see this kind of thing as a tiptoe down a slippery slope into an authoritarian state akin to Big Brother.

I think if it's widely used in other countries and appears to be accepted then it's worth serious consideration here. Personally it wouldn't bother me.

A fair compromise being that those who have no problem with ID cards can have them and those who don't want don't need to?
  • Options
    Black CloudBlack Cloud Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    A fair compromise being that those who have no problem with ID cards can have them and those who don't want don't need to?

Let's look at ID cards in mainland Europe.

Germany; introduced by Hitler.
    Italy; Introduced by Mussolini.
    Spain; Introduced by Franco.

Are these really the sort of people we should be trying to emulate?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not at all, I'm against ID cards specifically because I think it's not advisable to be giving the government that amount of power and yes I know we already have driving licenses and passports but they are voluntary and you don't need to get one. So I was thinking if there are ID cards then they must never be compulsory.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8:58am not yet
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's already a market for fake ID. It'll just be one more item on the list.
  • Options
    adam1968ukadam1968uk Posts: 265
    Forum Member

I claim the Godwin prize.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donder and Blitzen :o
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member

Plenty wrong with how they can be misused