QI Christmas Special

2»

Comments

• Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    He isn't Phil Jupitus, that's quite a positive point!

Ah, the first wise man has turned up. An excellent point, well made.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The subject of the programme was 'Hocus Pocus', therefore I guess they would get a guest with some association.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched 'My Family' from last night where they gave a NEXT preview into QI with a picture of Bob Monkhouse. Puzzling !
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Just watched 'My Family' from last night where they gave a NEXT preview into QI with a picture of Bob Monkhouse. Puzzling !

I also wondered why Bob Monkhouse was on the screen !
    Was it a mistake or was there a reason which they didn't tell us ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    Wow surprised at the comments, I thought it was great

So did I. It was a bit of silliness for Christmas.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Graham Norton and Daniel Radcliff are really performers and need a script to read.

Rubbish, it was one of the best and Radcliffe was an excellent guest, quite interesting in fact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Also, Norton is/was a stand-up. I'm quite sure he can ad-lib well. I am a fan, so maybe I'm biased.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred wrote: »
    Also, Norton is/was a stand-up. I'm quite sure he can ad-lib well. I am a fan, so maybe I'm biased.

Though I suspect many of the stand-up "comedians" on programmes like that have some of their ad-libs scripted.
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    QI isn't a comedy show, it's an intelligent "light-hearted" quiz, and I thought that it was excellent for a special Christmas edition (my emphasis) with a good choice of guests. And it was interesting to see Stephen Fry being slightly uncomfortable in his 'argument' with Lee Mack (understandable though for both sides).

Daniel Radcliffe did acquit himself very well being an actor as opposed to a comic performer, and that shot of Radcliffe's head in the basket at the end was presumably meant to reassure viewers but it could have been recorded before the start of the show :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah, i knew there'd be a time when QI got too high brow for the average BBC viewer. guess we reached that point. :D

was one of the best QIs ever. alone the delight to see a young talent with brains and knowledge to go with it, very refreshing, compared to the rubble that usually ssems to become big these days.
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on iPlayer and liked it. Very good episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    QI is the perfect vehicle for Stephen Fry and guests should just 'chip in' rather than take over.

Lee Mack was overbearing and a waste of TV prime time. :mad:
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I like Daniel. He's a smart guest wherever he shows. Kid has some brains and I'm showing my age:(
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this.

I get the impression that Daniel Radcliffe was actually on the quiz to win it, as opposed to just making jokes. He came across as a smart lad.

Lee Mack on the other hand, is about as funny as someone writing funny (not) as opposed to not funny :D
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Good mixture of humour and general knowledge with the people on it, Daniel came across as knowledgeable and the comedians brought their usual humour, another good episode I thought!
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch it but I should imagine it was pretty good - it usually is.

Lee Mack is always very funny, so would have been one of the funnier quests.
  • Options
    chizzerchizzer Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    zounds wrote: »
    He isn't Phil Jupitus, that's quite a positive point!
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Ah, the first wise man has turned up. An excellent point, well made.

The 2nd wise man appears.

I cannot stand Phil Jupitus.
  • Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harris_07 wrote: »
    I agree. I think it was down to:

He always seems to go that bit funnier, even after he's delivered the laugh and got the laugh. I watched a few episodes with Sean Lock and I think that he does the same.

I know what you mean, but i genuinley don't think he was intending to wind him up here, Stephen did actually apologise to Lee Mack mid episode for picking on him a little bit.