Options

Channel 4 - Becoming one of the best Channels?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Just threadbare formulaic stuff thats flogged to death , same old faces year in year out , totaly lacking any any ideas or anywhere near what channel 4 is supposed to be about. If it isnt Jamie Oliver its Gordon Ramsey , crackpots cooking for one another, idiots flogging houses , doing them up. Adverts that last a lifetime at volume levels way above anything else , inability to show a film without hours of adverts or sponsorship links. Its tiresome & unwatchable.

But then C4 is indicative of modern TV, cheap as chips tat aimed at the long term bored void of any sparkle or bite.

Xmas on C4 was at best derisory , to be fair its all been pretty dire across the channels , but C4 just dont even seem to put up a fight anymore.

:)
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Just threadbare formulaic stuff thats flogged to death , same old faces year in year out , totaly lacking any any ideas or anywhere near what channel 4 is supposed to be about. If it isnt Jamie Oliver its Gordon Ramsey

Or Come Dine With Me, which is terminally boring each time I try to watch it (usually through sheer desperation). And let's try to forget Phil and Kirstie even though they're inoffensive enough; I bet last night's Phil and Kirstie's Embarrassing Bits (whoever commissioned that garbage ought to...well...) didn't include telling people to "Buy Buy Buy" property just before the prices started to drop :D

There are still a few good things still on Channel 4 - the News, Dispatches and (perhaps) Peep Show (which I've never been able to watch properly so far) being three of them - but there have been very serious misjudgments in programme commissioning for a long time - I think the problem is that the channel seems to believe its own hype more often than not.

And Channel 5 has - shock, horror - been more entertaining than Channel 4 over Christmas; something probably unheard of until fairly recently.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Merton wrote: »
    And Channel 5 has - shock, horror - been more entertaining than Channel 4 over Christmas; something probably unheard of until fairly recently.

Let’s not praise them for repeating 30+ year old BBC programming (Butterflies, Some Mothers etc....). It’s a lamentable strategy for a national broadcaster, tantamount to admitting defeat if you ask me. Desmond has bought himself a right old dog with that crappy channel. God help them if Sky ever poaches the CSI franchise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 was one of the best channels but has really lost it's way over the last few years and is in really poor health right now. It's lost it's knack for innovation and is instead relying on wall to wall lifestyle shit.

Big Brother did more damge than good and now they're paying for overelying on it for a decade.
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Let’s not praise them for repeating 30+ year old BBC programming (Butterflies, Some Mothers etc....). It’s a lamentable strategy for a national broadcaster, tantamount to admitting defeat if you ask me. Desmond has bought himself a right old dog with that crappy channel. God help them if Sky ever poaches the CSI franchise.

Channel 5 did a Top 100 Christmas TV commercials thing which seemed a bit more watchable than Channel 4's Top 100 Toys with Jonathan Ross despite the usual suspects being lined up to give their opinions for the hard-of-thinking ;)