New tablets this year ??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Considering getting the Nexus 10 as it seems to be pretty the highest spec tablet out there right now but can't decide if to hang on to see if more tablets are forthcoming, has anyone heard any nice rumours??

Comments

• PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spendleb wrote: »
    Considering getting the Nexus 10 as it seems to be pretty the highest spec tablet out there right now but can't decide if to hang on to see if more tablets are forthcoming, has anyone heard any nice rumours??

The problem with Android tablets is that they have a terrible selection of tablets app compared to the iPad with over 300,000. Android has just a fraction of that.

The general quality of apps are also better with iOS. You also usually get apps released first on iOS. For the tablet apps available for Android there are also issues with capability between different Android tablets. One app may work on one Android tablet but not another Android tablet.

The current iPad 4 compares favorably with the Nexus 10. Some benchmarks favor the Nexus 10 and some the iPad 4. I recommend getting the iPad 4. The iPad 5 is expected in Sept or Oct, going back to their original release schedule. Rumors say 25% lighter, considerably narrower long side bezel , and 20% thinner. A retina screened iPad mini is expected even sooner than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    The problem with Android tablets is that they have a terrible selection of tablets app compared to the iPad with over 300,000. Android has just a fraction of that.

The general quality of apps are also better with iOS. You also usually get apps released first on iOS. For the tablet apps available for Android there are also issues with capability between different Android tablets. One app may work on one Android tablet but not another Android tablet.

The current iPad 4 compares favorably with the Nexus 10. Some benchmarks favor the Nexus 10 and some the iPad 4. I recommend getting the iPad 4. The iPad 5 is expected in Sept or Oct, going back to their original release schedule. Rumors say 25% lighter, considerably narrower long side bezel , and 20% thinner. A retina screened iPad mini is expected even sooner than that.

Not a chance :eek: Dislike Apple stuff, my partner has an ipad and we both much prefer my android tablet, I use all the same apps and tbh not had any issues with finding apps that look great on a tablet, it's way better than it used to be, I won't go back to the walled garden that is Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a chance :eek: Dislike Apple stuff, my partner has an ipad and we both much prefer my android tablet, I use all the same apps and tbh not had any issues with finding apps that look great on a tablet, it's way better than it used to be, I won't go back to the walled garden that is Apple.

Why do you "dislike Apple stuff?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Always have, just too controlled, they do have some nice apps, just prefer Android, all my friends with iPhones seem to dislike them and have lots of issues.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true.

"In October 2012 Google announced that Google Play had 700,000 apps available to download, matching the number of apps in Apple's App Store."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Play
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah right, how many Apple APPS are free compared to Android Apps?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Over hyped and over priced.:D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does it? The retina screen on the iPad 4 pales in comparison with the Nexus 10 display. There is just no competition there. Plus Android is nowhere near what you described, you obviously don't use it on a daily basis. :)

Your comments on "app compatibility" on Android, also doesn't seem to hold much baring in reality. I've not seen any new tablets being released with an OS less than 4.x. There are no compatibility issues between 4.0 and 4.2 which is what the overwhelming majority of Android tablets run, even the cheap low-end ones. Google does not distinguish between phone and tablet apps as they have frameworks in place from 4.x > which scale the interface accordingly without looking like an upscaled phone app.

To answer the question, there is definitely a new Nexus 7 coming up, and possibly a Nexus 10 refresh as well, and there are rumours of a new tablet from Motorola. Other than that, I wouldn't expect any big launches until later this year...
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im new to all of this Apple stuff, having had Blackberrys for a while, but from what i have seen, im very impressed..

i like the ipad 3 and am loving the iphone 5, loads of great apps and Apples customer service is very good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Does it? The retina screen on the iPad 4 pales in comparison with the Nexus 10 display. There is just no competition there. Plus Android is nowhere near what you described, you obviously don't use it on a daily basis. :)

Your comments on "app compatibility" on Android, also doesn't seem to hold much baring in reality. I've not seen any new tablets being released with an OS less than 4.x. There are no compatibility issues between 4.0 and 4.2 which is what the overwhelming majority of Android tablets run, even the cheap low-end ones. Google does not distinguish between phone and tablet apps as they have frameworks in place from 4.x > which scale the interface accordingly without looking like an upscaled phone app.

Wrong. The pixel density difference between them is a bit over 30 pixels. It's extremely difficult to see any difference in sharpness and smoothness. The iPad's display is also calibrated. The benchmarks comment I made is also easily verifiable.

Yes, I do use Android devices and yes the app selection difference is as I described. There are over 300,000 apps for the iPad. The industry estimates for Android is just a fraction of that.

iOS also almost always gets apps first and they are generally regarded in the industry and market as being of higher quality.

The compatibility issue is with some Android tablet apps working on one Android tablet but not another. It doesn't matter why it is happening and what Google has in place to try and deter that from happening. What matters is that it is happening. Both are common knowledge within the industry.

Also, most Android developers are not taking advantage of the adaptable provisions Google has in place with Android to be able to write one app for both phone and tablet, and understandably so, as it still requires a lot of effort to account for and to write for all the variations of screen sizes and resolutions available with Android devices. You are essentially still writing multiple apps that are then packaged into one app. That's a huge undertaking compared to writing an app for the iPad.

One last thing. The Nexus 10 has appalling battery life compared to the iPad 4. The iPad 4 lasts over 3 hours longer! You also have much better build quality with the iPad and much better resale value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im new to all of this Apple stuff, having had Blackberrys for a while, but from what i have seen, im very impressed..

i like the ipad 3 and am loving the iphone 5, loads of great apps and Apples customer service is very good

Apple's customer service and tech support has actually been the best in the industry for many years.

I have an iPad 4 and it has replaced my laptop as it is actually faster at browsing than my laptop was. I never expected that would happen so quickly. I also get better battery life than my original iPad.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong. The pixel density difference between them is a bit over 30 pixels. It's extremely difficult to see any difference in sharpness and smoothness. The iPad's display is also calibrated. The benchmarks comment I made is also easily verifiable.

Yes, I do use Android devices and yes the app selection difference is as I described. There are over 300,000 apps for the iPad. The industry estimates for Android is just a fraction of that.

I don't know why you have repeated this. As I said earlier, Google does not make a distinction between tablet and phone apps, if they did, there would be a tablet section on Google Play. They see all Google approved Android devices as part of the same experience, and in my view this makes for a more seamless experience.
    iOS also almost always gets apps first and they are generally regarded in the industry and market as being of higher quality.

The compatibility issue is with some Android tablet apps working on one Android tablet but not another. It doesn't matter why it is happening and what Google has in place to try and deter that from happening. What matters is that it is happening. Both are common knowledge within the industry.

You say this as if iOS never has any issues whatsoever regarding stability and/or compatibility. Clearly, you have conveniently forgotten the glaring stability issues that had numbers of iOS users complaining, as well as the very recent Apple Maps disaster. Hardly "being of higher quality". :o
    Also, most Android developers are not taking advantage of the adaptable provisions Google has in place with Android to be able to write one app for both phone and tablet, and understandably so, as it still requires a lot of effort to account for and to write for all the variations of screen sizes and resolutions available with Android devices. You are essentially still writing multiple apps that are then packaged into one app. That's a huge undertaking compared to writing an app for the iPad.

This is wrong. The code Google supplies on the Android Developer website will automatically scale the app for the developer on a dpi basis. There is actually far less effort for the developer than you are suggesting, as is common when there is a lack of understanding of how Android works. :)
    One last thing. The Nexus 10 has appalling battery life compared to the iPad 4. The iPad 4 lasts over 3 hours longer! You also have much better build quality with the iPad and much better resale value.

Considering the extra battery capacity in the iPad 4, I should hope it does, for the user's sake. The Nexus 10 actually outputs around 8 hours of battery life to the iPad 4's 9 hours, so I'm not seeing where you've found such a huge difference in this. Google and Samsung obviously found a better balance of portability and hardware capability, considering the iPad 4 is way over 60 grams heavier than the Nexus 10. Build quality is subjective, and Samsung always use durable poly-carbonates in their devices, a material Apple is allegedly considering for future devices. :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I have an iPad and Nexus and I much prefer the iPad due to the great choice in games.

I also find the iPad faster even though its a much lower spec.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Personally I have an iPad and Nexus and I much prefer the iPad due to the great choice in games.

I also find the iPad faster even though its a much lower spec.

I think apple devices are better optimised to run ios. My ipod touch 5th generation and my ipad mini are faster than my nexus 7 was even though they both had much lower specs.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They can't let go of their device even if they sold it to you. They are too controlling about what you can and cannot do with it. Simple things like connectivity (USB, HDMI, SD) is a PITA with Apple mobile devices.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    They can't let go of their device even if they sold it to you. They are too controlling about what you can and cannot do with it. Simple things like connectivity (USB, HDMI, SD) is a PITA with Apple mobile devices.
    Maybe because its £500 + for an ipad and the Nexus is erm oh yeah £200
    Someone at work summed Apple stuff up in one sentence when i tried to explain that if you listed an Apple item against its equivalent android item you would never buy them on spec (like never even give it a second look).
    So why do you buy this overpriced under spec item then?
    "Because it looks nice" and there ladies and gentleman is Apples whole marketing scheme.
    We get wupped on spec, we are massively overpriced, but it looks nice. Hate the damn stuff. :mad:
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tasker wrote: »
    Someone at work summed Apple stuff up in one sentence when i tried to explain that if you listed an Apple item against its equivalent android item you would never buy them on spec (like never even give it a second look).
    "Because it looks nice" and there ladies and gentleman is Apples whole marketing scheme.
    We get wupped on spec, we are massively overpriced, but it looks nice. Hate the damn stuff. :mad:

Then you need to try and put a nexus 7 next to a iPad mini and asked yourself why the nexus despite the "better" specs doesn't run any faster or smoother than the iPad.

Specs really do mean very little.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    tasker wrote: »

There is also the option that some people prefer using them over an Android Tablet. I know it may be hard for you to understand that concept but some people do prefer it. My wife being one of them. And I like both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

There's no need for HDMI with an iPad when AirPlay is far superior. Get an iPad with enough storage and having to use SD cards is not an issue. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Then you need to try and put a nexus 7 next to a iPad mini and asked yourself why the nexus despite the "better" specs doesn't run any faster or smoother than the iPad.

Specs really do mean very little.

Not only that but the nexus 7 next to an iPad mini feels and looks like a cheap quality product. The difference is stark.

With the iPad you also have a better screen size and aspect ratio, much better battery life, by far the best third part accessories support, the best customer service and tech support, the best resale value, and by far the largest library of apps to choose from at over 300,000.

Also spec wise the iPad 4 is one of the two fastest tablets made ( the other being the Nexus 10) and has a much better battery life than the Nexus.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I don't know why you have repeated this. As I said earlier, Google does not make a distinction between tablet and phone apps, if they did, there would be a tablet section on Google Play. They see all Google approved Android devices as part of the same experience, and in my view this makes for a more seamless experience.

You say this as if iOS never has any issues whatsoever regarding stability and/or compatibility. Clearly, you have conveniently forgotten the glaring stability issues that had numbers of iOS users complaining, as well as the very recent Apple Maps disaster. Hardly "being of higher quality". :o

This is wrong. The code Google supplies on the Android Developer website will automatically scale the app for the developer on a dpi basis. There is actually far less effort for the developer than you are suggesting, as is common when there is a lack of understanding of how Android works. :)

Considering the extra battery capacity in the iPad 4, I should hope it does, for the user's sake. The Nexus 10 actually outputs around 8 hours of battery life to the iPad 4's 9 hours, so I'm not seeing where you've found such a huge difference in this. Google and Samsung obviously found a better balance of portability and hardware capability, considering the iPad 4 is way over 60 grams heavier than the Nexus 10. Build quality is subjective, and Samsung always use durable poly-carbonates in their devices, a material Apple is allegedly considering for future devices. :)

They should really change this though. For productivity type of apps where you have menus, lists multiple screens presenting information etc, then the extra real estate available on a tablet screen should be optimised. It makes no sense to have the same UI that is on a phone. It would be nice to see the equivalent of the tablet optimised iOS UIKit in Android to make development less painful.

Yes on paper the nexus 10 has a better screen than the ipad 4 but I think its pretty irrelevant, as at this resolution you can't see the pixels on either. To my eyes the ipad 4 has the better display, especially for viewing photos.

I've been very happy with the awesome nexus 4 and the nexus 7 which I also own( I don't really use that too much now though ). but the iPad is still for my money the best 10 inch style tablet.

In sales terms the Nexus 10 has been a hard flop 680,000 Nexus 10's sold v 6.8 million Nexus 7's

I'm not surprised so far for me the android experience doesn't work so well on the > 7 inch form factor yet.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always have, just too controlled, they do have some nice apps, just prefer Android, all my friends with iPhones seem to dislike them and have lots of issues.

You use exactly the right word there, controlled! What also narks me with the apple corp, is the way they bring one model out, have fans of the brand fork out a huge amount of money for it then, just as they are getting au fait with it, bring out the next generation model. Apple will only allow the use of Apple software, apps etc. In my opinion, you are paying a lot more for a lot less than the android devices offer. I have heard both sides: some people who have used both, say they prefer android; others wouldn't go past Apple. But they must be doing something right, cos companies such as Bose make products to use with the i-range of devices. It would be ideal for me, if someone would give me an ipad to use for a couple of weeks, then I can make my own mind up from experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    You use exactly the right word there, controlled! What also narks me with the apple corp, is the way they bring one model out, have fans of the brand fork out a huge amount of money for it then, just as they are getting au fait with it, bring out the next generation model. .

Apple doesn't refresh the iPhone any quicker than any other phone maker.
    Apple will only allow the use of Apple software, apps etc. .

Apple produces the hundreds of thousands of apps in its store? That would be quite a feat. :)

Apple's greater control of its ecosystem has prevented the malware that infests even the official Android store. It has also led to higher quality and more apps than Android.
    In my opinion, you are paying a lot more for a lot less than the android devices offer. I have heard both sides: some people who have used both, say they prefer android; others wouldn't go past Apple. .

Sounds like you are showing anti-Apple bias.
    But they must be doing something right, cos companies such as Bose make products to use with the i-range of devices. It would be ideal for me, if someone would give me an ipad to use for a couple of weeks, then I can make my own mind up from experience.

That doesn't make any sense. You were just talking like you had already made up your mind about Apple's products. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    They should really change this though. For productivity type of apps where you have menus, lists multiple screens presenting information etc, then the extra real estate available on a tablet screen should be optimised. It makes no sense to have the same UI that is on a phone. It would be nice to see the equivalent of the tablet optimised iOS UIKit in Android to make development less painful.

Yes on paper the nexus 10 has a better screen than the ipad 4 but I think its pretty irrelevant, as at this resolution you can't see the pixels on either. To my eyes the ipad 4 has the better display, especially for viewing photos.

I've been very happy with the awesome nexus 4 and the nexus 7 which I also own( I don't really use that too much now though ). but the iPad is still for my money the best 10 inch style tablet.

In sales terms the Nexus 10 has been a hard flop 680,000 Nexus 10's sold v 6.8 million Nexus 7's

I'm not surprised so far for me the android experience doesn't work so well on the > 7 inch form factor yet.

The difference in ppi between the Nexus 10 and the iPad 3 and 4 is simply 36 pixels which, like you say, at this resolution is insignificant. The iPad's display also has much more accurate color as the screens are factory calibrated and not clowny oversaturated.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference in ppi between the Nexus 10 and the iPad 3 and 4 is simply 36 pixels which, like you say, at this resolution is insignificant. The iPad's display also has much more accurate color as the screens are factory calibrated and not clowny oversaturated.

Which makes a big difference over the entire screen. The change is stunning if you've actually seen it.
    2560x1600 - Nexus 10
    2048x1536 - iPad

I presume you have actually seen the timescapes video on both?