Blood in Urine

EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys, spoiler tagged below for anyone who misclicked and is eating their lunched,
On Boxing day I had what felt like terrible cystitis, awful cramps and pain when peeing, peeing several times an hour and a bit of blood in urine. With the bank holidays (and not wanting to be parted from the bathroom) I drank stacks of water rather than venturing out to get Cymalon and it went away.

Today it is painfully back with a vengeance and what is worrying me is the amount of blood in the toilet bowl after I pee. It has all sunk straight to the bottom (clotted blood?) and there seems to be a substantial amount.

Does this sound like cystitis to you? When I "recovered" I went and stocked up on Cymalon in case of relapse and took a dose this morning (yick) but the sudden increase in blood has scared me. It's definitely not my time of the month.

How much blood is "normal" in cystitis?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew Cystitis caused you to bleed (i'm no doctor though)....peeing more and a burning sensation yes, but not bleed.

Bleeding when you pee is never a good sign so get it checked out asap.
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds a bit more than cystitis to me! Call NHS direct if you can't get hold of your emergency GP.
    Alternatively get down to A&E - they will do tests. Don't risk damaging your kidneys.
    Hopefully it is only an infection or cystitis but better to be safe than sorry imo.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a little blood with cystitis but I wouldn't have thought it would be enough for clots.

I would ring NHS Direct for advice OP.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UTI - urinary tract infection. You may get pain in your kidneys.......feels like someone gripping you in a bear hug. Go to the doctor (at the risk of stating the obvious). Cranberry juice intake useful as well...........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............um, just read your post more closely and realised you are a female! My previous post might not be as helpful as intended!
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UTI - urinary tract infection. You may get pain in your kidneys.......feels like someone gripping you in a bear hug. Go to the doctor (at the risk of stating the obvious). Cranberry juice intake useful as well...........

Forgive my total ignorance, but is Cystitis a UTI or is it something different? :o

And yes, bearhug sounds familiar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I (a man!) had UTI and I could have filled a pint glass with blood (literally) while waiting at the hospital, and had that horrible burning feeling. My GP called me in later as she was somewhat concerned about the amount of blood I passed. The second time I had it I had hardly any blood but did have the same burning sensation. Being a thick man.........I am not sure I can advise on how it is for a woman. I sincerely hope that you get better very soon.......and going to see a doctor will facilitate that.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might have kidney or bladder stones - and a UTI (possibly caused by the former).

Have you been drinking a lot of alcohol during the christmas period?

Get down the doctors anyway.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffered with UTI for years until they suddenly stopped.
    If you are at the stage of bleeding (it happened to me) you may now have a kidney infection because the previous UTI did not clear as you thought.
    You need to contact NHS direct or go to a drop in centre if you have one near you. Don't leave it any longer, it can become a serious condition if not treated with a long course of anti biotics.
    Best wishes, hope you feel better soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm convinced of the need to visit the doctor - stupid bank holiday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contact an out of hours doctor and he might prescribe something over the phone. There must be a chemist open near you? Apologies if I am telling you something you already know!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drink plenty of water in the meantime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............cranberry juice (Ocean Spray for example) is recommended also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Drink plenty of water in the meantime.

On it :)

Perhaps too much, I've been to the loo three times since starting this thread :o
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For health matters, consult a doctor rather than well-meaning but unqualified and inexperienced members of a media website's forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a UTI (and sometimes with stones) you'll often get symptoms like a temperature, shivering, feeling exhausted - do you have any of those?

Does sound like a UTI, but it could be either and the amount of blood in urine can look quite incredible. You need to see a dr asap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...........you have my sympathy!
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you never listen to another word I ever say, listen to this: GO TO THE DOCTOR. Do it as soon as you can. Never, ever, take chances with blood in the urine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    With a UTI (and sometimes with stones) you'll often get symptoms like a temperature, shivering, feeling exhausted - do you have any of those?

Does sound like a UTI, but it could be either and the amount of blood in urine can look quite incredible. You need to see a dr asap.

With the bank holiday, GP not open until 4th January and NHS direct waiting list is 4 hours. 4th Jan seems a while to wait
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    For health matters, consult a doctor rather than well-meaning but unqualified and inexperienced members of a media website's forum.

Talk about Teutonic directness befitting your 'name'! I think you will find that the consensus was "get to a doctor" by posters here. I do not see what relevance the reference to "inexperienced members" has. The lady wanted advice or thoughts from others and she got it/them. I am guessing if you asked her she would have found the contributions helpful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    With the bank holiday, GP not open until 4th January and NHS direct waiting list is 4 hours. 4th Jan seems a while to wait

If I am allowed to give advice (see my posting just now!) is going straight to the hospital not the worst suggestion here. I suspect you are in agony or close to it. Hopefully, someone can drive you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about Teutonic directness befitting your 'name'! I think you will find that the consensus was "get to a doctor" by posters here. I do not see what relevance the reference to "inexperienced members" has. The lady wanted advice or thoughts from others and she got it/them. I am guessing if you asked her she would have found the contributions helpful.

I did, thanks. :) Ordinarily I would be down the GP but Boxing day was a Sunday, followed by 2 bank holidays, followed by three days of feeling better, and relapsed on the first of another three "GP closed" days :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NHS direct are now calling me back within an hour :)
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi.
    im really sorry you are having this problem.
    I get it a lot and its very worrying,its worth pointing out because its coming out with the wee it will appear to be a large amount.

you did the wise thing getting in touch with someone via NHS direct i suspect they will be sending you to see someone else *maybe out of hours GP etc.

Cranberry juice is really good (just dont drink too much of the stuff its great at getting rid of the nasty bugs in the bladder that can cause infections,in my case MRSA went into my bladder and from time to time quite a lot of blood will come out.

theres a whole host of issues that could be causing this problem chances are they will ask you to wee into a pot and they will do a strip test on the sample it will give them a rough idea whats going on.later on they will do another test that will be sent to the lab (MSU) a midstream urine test.

they might also do a scan of the kidneys and bladder if the sample doesnt really give them some ideas whats going on.

Its always scary seeing blood in the loo somehow it seems better if you can see where the bleeding is coming from,please take care and hope you feel better soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    hi.
    im really sorry you are having this problem.
    I get it a lot and its very worrying,its worth pointing out because its coming out with the wee it will appear to be a large amount.

you did the wise thing getting in touch with someone via NHS direct i suspect they will be sending you to see someone else *maybe out of hours GP etc.

Cranberry juice is really good (just dont drink too much of the stuff its great at getting rid of the nasty bugs in the bladder that can cause infections,in my case MRSA went into my bladder and from time to time quite a lot of blood will come out.

theres a whole host of issues that could be causing this problem chances are they will ask you to wee into a pot and they will do a strip test on the sample it will give them a rough idea whats going on.later on they will do another test that will be sent to the lab (MSU) a midstream urine test.

they might also do a scan of the kidneys and bladder if the sample doesnt really give them some ideas whats going on.

Its always scary seeing blood in the loo somehow it seems better if you can see where the bleeding is coming from,please take care and hope you feel better soon

That's very reassuring, thankyou, I expect the blood IS a lot less than it looks. :)