Options

Justin Gatlin

2»

Comments

• Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has benefited because, they havent taken his world and olympic titles off him.

Everyone knows he cheated so whatever medals he has don't mean much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    But he committed the same offence TWICE, and is unrepentant about it. Whatever people think about Dwain Chambers, at least he only offended once and has been pretty sorry about it since then. But I still think it was wrong that the BOA were forced into revoking his ban.

No he didn't.The first failure was due to prescribed medication.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Justin Gatlin at age 30 - an age where sprinters are easily past their physical peak - and after 6 years out of competition has come back and is running faster "clean" than he did as a heavily doped up 24 year old. And we're supposed to believe that.

Either the drugs don't work or sports doping is still several steps ahead of the testers.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Yeah i think double drugs cheat Gatlin shouldnt have been in the race,
    clean guys like Gay lose out to drug cheaters like Gatlin is sad
    Michael Johnson didnt want to say Gatlin name and said something like the 'bronze medal will be forgotten' im guessing he feels the same way we do.

Such a shame for Gay, who was far more deserving.

I noticed that about Michael Johnson, as well.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    No he didn't.The first failure was due to prescribed medication.

An excuse from a lying drugs cheat:mad:

Don't believe that for one second.

And of course the next time he was caught he had an excuse, by saying that the drugs were massaged into him:rolleyes:

Yet he was happy to cut a bargain and give evidence against his fellow cheats. He knew damn well what he was doing, he was at it along with the rest of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not totally convinced by this. Athletes don't take up sport as adults (well, very rarely), they are coached from a very young age and the adults who end up being influential in their training program is largely down to a lot of luck.

As long as someone is totally clean, however long that takes, I don't think they should be penalised for the rest of their lives.

All of the people we're talking about are adults.

A zero tolerance policy would be more likely to change the attitudes of coaches as well as youngsters taking up the sport.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not totally convinced by this. Athletes don't take up sport as adults (well, very rarely), they are coached from a very young age and the adults who end up being influential in their training program is largely down to a lot of luck.

As long as someone is totally clean, however long that takes, I don't think they should be penalised for the rest of their lives.

He should have been banned for life as it was his second offence. I think if it's your first offence you should get a 4 year ban, after that you are out for good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anika Hanson
    ;An excuse from a lying drugs cheat:mad:

Don't believe that for one second.

I'm pretty sure its been checked out.
    And of course the next time he was caught he had an excuse, by saying that the drugs were massaged into him:rolleyes:

Yet he was happy to cut a bargain and give evidence against his fellow cheats. He knew damn well what he was doing, he was at it along with the rest of them.

I'm not trying to justify the second because its well known that its banned but a lot have slipped up on prescribed medication.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully agree with you. Seeing former cheats win medals does not really sit well with me and does make the result seem somehow tainted.

I would be supportive of lifetime bans for proven cheats.

Definitely tainted. You only have to look at how interest in the women's sprint competitions have deteriorated since the 90s (when it was almost as big as the men's) because of the cloud of suspicion hanging over some of the biggest names in the sport.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    livia123 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read that when it was announced that a member of the 4x400m relay gold medal winners was found guilty of taking drugs ( several years after the event), Michael Johnson voluntarily sent back his medal. He didn't want to be tainted by it.
    Call me cynical, but would he have done so if he didn't have 4 others to look at?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    My joy for Bolt winning was tainted by seeing him getting the bronze I must admit, if Tyson Gay had just dipped at the right time he would have had it! I noticed that Bolt and Blake kept away from him though!

You're right. He dipped a little late.

I noticed today that Tyson Gay has never won an Olympic medal of any colour. I hope he wins one here.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    livia123 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read that when it was announced that a member of the 4x400m relay gold medal winners was found guilty of taking drugs ( several years after the event), Michael Johnson voluntarily sent back his medal. He didn't want to be tainted by it.

I think in the end that gold medal award was retracted as a second member served a drugs ban.
    What a guy!
    atg wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but would he have done so if he didn't have 4 others to look at?
    I don't get what you're on about.
    He was part of a team. He had three other team members. One of them cheated. He felt that was a stain. He returned his medal.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right. He dipped a little late.

I noticed today that Tyson Gay has never won an Olympic medal of any colour. I hope he wins one here.
    Yes but wouldn't that be with the help of Gatlin? ... you wouldn't want him in your relay team would you? .. big chance of losing your medal later down the line.

Isn't Gatlin's present coach also a former drugs cheat? (as was his previous coach) I never believe that 'prescribed medicine' nonsense .. athletes know to scrutinise everything they take for banned substances.

Feel very sorry for Tyson Gay .. the Bronze medal is rightfully his .. if he gets given it further down the line it won't be the same at all.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add to this, if you failed a drug test once, supposedly because of medication prescribed for ADD which Gatlin claimed the first time around, wouldn't you then be even more cautious about what you were putting into your body so you wouldn't get caught out again?

Having said that, I am pleased to see that media outlets and our pundits did not focus any attention on him whatsoever, I find him arrogant and unrepentant.