Options

Should I Run Away

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm so fed up with my life, I keep having fantasies about packing a bag emptying my bank account and running away without telling anyone. I have no kids or partner but I know it would worry my friends and family. Should I just do it?

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so fed up with my life, I keep having fantasies about packing a bag emptying my bank account and running away without telling anyone. I have no kids or partner but I know it would worry my friends and family. Should I just do it?
    I see a flaw in your plan!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should talk to a professional about your feelings as it could be part of an underlying problem.

Although, everybody wants to run away and hide sometimes. Is there something specific in your life that's making you feel this way, if so try and change that specific thing.

I wouldn't do it. You said yourself, it would worry your friends and family and isn't a very nice thing to do. Maybe go on holiday for a change of scenery or something, but don't run away.
  • Options
    InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.Change things where you are. I ran away once but discovered I was still there, and the problem wasn't where I was but how I dealt with it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    I see a flaw in your plan!

Haha I mean not telling anyone who kows me in person. Thanks though that did snap me out of my mood a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosaliee wrote: »
    I think you should talk to a professional about your feelings as it could be part of an underlying problem.

Although, everybody wants to run away and hide sometimes. Is there something specific in your life that's making you feel this way, if so try and change that specific thing.

I wouldn't do it. You said yourself, it would worry your friends and family and isn't a very nice thing to do. Maybe go on holiday for a change of scenery or something, but don't run away.

I have thought about speaking to someone. I just feel so silly talking to people about it in a formal environment. Its easy on here, I don't mind looking silly to people I don't know face to face.
    InkyPinky wrote: »
    No.Change things where you are. I ran away once but discovered I was still there, and the problem wasn't where I was but how I dealt with it :)

I kinda know deep down that you are right. I just don't know how to change things and feel as though I am not in control of my own life even though I try so hard to stay in control.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The decision is totally yours

However if you do, make sure that you inform the salvation army that you don't wish to be found. They will ensure that anyone wishing to find you can't but will know that you are ok. Anything else is beyond cruel.
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could you shoot Bambi! :mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    If you think you can do it, then do it. Most people on here will advise you not to, because it's the 'done' thing to advise for someone in your situation. Maybe running away will give you some control. I hitch-hiked across Italy 2 years ago, and it was one of the best times of my life. I'd gone through some messed up shit a few months before that.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How could you shoot Bambi! :mad::mad:

Or even worse Bambi's mother

'Bambi - your mother can't be with you anymore' :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I know it's not really any of my business, but I do think you should tell close friends and family that you are moving away for a while. Don't run. It's not very fair on them. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well tell them before you go, otherwise you will waste police time. Go if you wish, but be aware of the consequences.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the middle ground is to go travelling for an extended period of time ?

Tell the people you care about that you're going and just go. Obviously make sure you keep in contact to let them know you're ok, but it could certainly achieve your 'goal' of getting away from it all for a while.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't have any advice for you. But I bloody LOVE your username! :D
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    If you think you can do it, then do it. Most people on here will advise you not to, because it's the 'done' thing to advise for someone in your situation. Maybe running away will give you some control. I hitch-hiked across Italy 2 years ago, and it was one of the best times of my life. I'd gone through some messed up shit a few months before that.

No most people would advise her to at the very least leave a note or phone after x hours so the police and various other people don't have to waste their time looking for someone who has gone on a jaunt
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you know the saying, you can run but your can't hide. The problem whatever it is might just travel with you. I would say nothing wrong with a change of scenery, and to go and travel, but to be safe you should let people know where you are all the time. Don't be shy about talking to professionals, there is nothing they havn't already heard. Good luck luv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take a short break alone to get time to think things through. Distance from demands can help put things into perspective.

What exactly do you want to run away from?
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wherever you go your problems will be with you; there is no escape. Stay where you are, write down all the issues and then take the long slow journey to where you want to be.

I think we all feel like running away sometimes, but just get our heads down and carry on. You're not alone. I'm supposed to be preparing my VAT for the accountant, but what am I doing ..... putting it off by thinking 'just 5 mins on DS'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you working? Could you go to the doctor's tell them how you feel and get some sick leave off work? Then perhaps you could take a break and clear your head, but don't keep all this hidden. There's no need to run away in secret. You need to work out what part of your life you are fed up with before you can start to improve it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please dont just disappear off without telling your family, can you imagine the pain they will go through not knowing what has happened to you, wondering if there was something they could have said or done to help you? I've seen families torn apart from the disappearance of a family member.

Maybe travelling will help but you can do that with your families knowledge
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Sadly you can't run away from yourself. A new life won't sort your problems, it may distract you for a time but you'll follow yourself around like a lost puppy.
  • Options
    scousesirenscousesiren Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest to go on a holiday to get a way from it all for a while. I'd discourage you from running away. Imagine the worry you would cause for your friends and family. Go away, clear your head and hopefully you'll return with a whole new perspective on life.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sometimes just disappearing, taking time out is the only thing that will return things to normality! It sorted my head out when I did it.

I'm thinking of doing it again, permanently this, to escape the horrible job situation here. :mad: