Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    I realize you are rather new on the forum and maybe don't understand how what you write 'sounds' when you respond to someone. One 'yes' would have been appropriate. Maybe this is why some of our British friends have stopped checking in on DS. :(

Give me a break. Don't want to start a war here-- but I have several British friends who routinely get excited and break into multiple exclamations, just like me-- the Yank-- does at times. And I always hope that the way I write elicits the correct understanding in the reader, but really, I don't have much control over the reader's state of mind.

But then again I've been on multiple drugs for a couple months now with this horrible sciatic problem, have not felt comfortable or well for too long (in my pretty healthy life up to now) and I have often wondered how many blunders I may have made trying to stay part of this lovely community of Doc Martin chat with all that going on. I've either managed pretty well or you have all been very kind!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your right Rob. I apologize to Last Romantic and to anyone else I offended. I shouldn't have said what I did. Please forgive me.

Thanks, Portwenn, for sorting that out. I appreciate it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I am British and I am still here, I mean who's gunna keep you lot out out of trouble :cool:

Okay, lets get back onto some DM discussion...

In terms of DM's romantic side, I don't think what he and Edith had was "romantic" as such, I don't think there would be candles and rose petals. But I believe there was trust and intimacy - But Edith ran off for her career and shattered DM. Perhaps he sees it as nonsense because he TRIED the romance side of things and still lost the girl.
    By the time he gets to Louisa it's been a long time since hes been in a relationship and he's a little rusty. Also the comments he made to Louisa might not have offended Edith, he only knows Edith remember. My husband is hopeless at romance etc - his father doesn't bother thus he's never had a role model or learnt HOW to be romantic. This might be DM's problem. Also why I will ensure my son sees a few chick flick so he knows how to treat a lady! :p
    I trust you have all seen Louisa with her arm in a sling and a cut on her face. I remember seeing on FB that someone saw DM speeding off in his car and hits a van. then he jumps over the bonnet and yells "i haven't got time for this!".
    Do you think this has something to do with Louisa being hurt? Or perhaps she was hurt during the school sports day or just a normal day at school. I like the thought I Martin being protective of her and looking after her arm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Martin is, to use the technical term, tap dancing... Also called slinging b.s.

I love getting your man's viewpoint. Really, think that's it?
    But then all of a sudden I'm remembering the car washing scene, where Louisa comes up and is fishing around about the drinks and food the pub has, until finally Martin asks her for a drink. And she says: "Did you know I wanted you to ask?"
    And he says: "Yes, yes, I did."

I always got that but still wondered if there was something more there somehow and so I think I just realized it shows Martin is aware of what to do and can read the signals and figure it out--but was tap dancing at the time.

Brilliant, Rob, what do you think about that if I've expressed myself well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Your right Rob. I apologize to Last Romantic and to anyone else I offended. I shouldn't have said what I did. Please forgive me.
    Give me a break. Don't want to start a war here-- but I have several British friends who routinely get excited and break into multiple exclamations, just like me-- the Yank-- does at times. And I always hope that the way I write elicits the correct understanding in the reader, but really, I don't have much control over the reader's state of mind.

But then again I've been on multiple drugs for a couple months now with this horrible sciatic problem, have not felt comfortable or well for too long (in my pretty healthy life up to now) and I have often wondered how many blunders I may have made trying to stay part of this lovely community of Doc Martin chat with all that going on. I've either managed pretty well or you have all been very kind!
    I am British and I am still here, I mean who's gunna keep you lot out out of trouble :cool:

I very much appreciate your apology, Portwenn59. I can see how my words could have seemed patronizing, but they were not meant that way, nor would I ever intentionally insult anyone. Perhaps a smiley would have helped, but thus far I prefer not to use them as I think members are probably (or hopefully, as SusieSagitarius mentions) getting the drift! It would be terrible to be responsible for others not joining in--I don't think any of us would want that. All is forgiven! Let us start afresh tomorrow!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I trust you have all seen Louisa with her arm in a sling and a cut on her face. I remember seeing on FB that someone saw DM speeding off in his car and hits a van. then he jumps over the bonnet and yells "i haven't got time for this!".
    Do you think this has something to do with Louisa being hurt? Or perhaps she was hurt during the school sports day or just a normal day at school. I like the thought I Martin being protective of her and looking after her arm.
    How Louisa got the arm thing?
    a) Surfing accident
    b) Took a spill leaving the castle
    c) Lost a fight with Martin's mother
    d) Tripped over Dodger
    e) Knocked over like a bowling pin by Bert
    f) Sexual high jinks with the Doc
    g) Beat Edith at arm wrestling, but it wasn't easy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    I don't mind the talk about it, it is always interesting to see other's take on various facets of the show.
    I just don't need to see a wrestling match to understand what has gone on. I would like to see more show of affection from DM toward LGE. I'm afraid I may sound a little judgemental here which isn't my intent.

I totally agree with you Lemster. One brush if the cheek for a whole series is beyond the pale! (Excluding the 2 second peck in the last minute of the last ep of the series-which barely rates a mention!) :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    S1E2. Gentlemen Prefer
    Official opening of surgery.
    An early patient, Mrs. Black the matchmaker will later be Dr Dibbs in S4...a few lbs later I would say. If anyone can tell me how "chicken fillets " can help a girl who is "flat as a Scottish pancake" let me know.
    Roger Fenn - the last name is derived from the name of a collie owned by Caroline Quentin, MC's costar in MBB. Dog's name is Fenn (from A Dog's Life). Roger is also the same actor who played a cross dresser in William and Mary, Jeff Rawle.
    Louisa has two apples and an onion or one apple, a plum and an onion on the dashboard of her car....on her dashboard?! What does it mean?
    !

S3 ep 8 DM says bugger.

Chicken fillets are falsies as someone else says.

Onions and veg are a props department prank & a shout out to Mr onions (real name) of someone behind the scenes.
    There has been much discussion, though, that the onions that appear regularly are a symbol if the multi layered DM whose layers are gradual being peeled away! You decide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc, I understand your point completely. I just think that no one can always be at their most attractive no matter what. And I just like giving him that space to be human.

Yes I agree and understand totally and don't mean to be mean but he's and actor who is photographed ad infinitum surely he'd have a "snapshot face"???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try to fill you in as best I can.
    S1E1 - That first episode was probably a pilot one. MC has said in interviews that he intentionally made DM more crumpy in later seasons.

S1E2 - I've never understood that joke about 'chicken fillets' either. Maybe it's British humor :confused:

About the vegetables that appear in quite a few scenes - I think it's a set designer having some fun. In the first season there was someone behind the scenes whose last name was Onion. Also, in one of the earlier seasons, I think 3, DM holds an eggplant and two tomatoes? in a unique way-very funny:eek:

I think that's pure Martin Clunes' sense of humour don't you?
    Apparently he has a risqué sense of humour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Mofromco

In S1E1, Martin does say "shit" again when he sees the Colonel run after this wife

"Scottish pancake" is a flat chested women. "Chicken fillets" are pads used in a bra to enhance a woman's breasts.

The actress who played the role of Mrs. Willow also played Barbara Collingsworth, the patient being treated by Edith Montgomery.

Both the oysters and vegetables on Louisa's dashboard have sexual innuendo, as does the scene when Martin encounters Louisa and is grasping two tomatoes and an eggplant.

Sorry to be thick but how do the vegetables on LGs dashboard have a sexual innuendo?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Being fairly new to this forum, I am doing something that you "old timers" have done ad infinitum. I am doing a rewatch. I hope you will bear with me because there are new members... Like Patricia_Smith.....if that's her real name....who might enjoy some little things that I have noticed. Please excuse the fact that I have a

YES! that is me, although I use my birth name as a middle name. Patricia!
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Sorry to be thick but how do the vegetables on LGs dashboard have a sexual innuendo?

You are right. I've read discussion of behavioral innuendo, not sexual like the tomatoes and eggplant of the later episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Okay, lets get back onto some DM discussion...

In terms of DM's romantic side, I don't think what he and Edith had was "romantic" as such, I don't think there would be candles and rose petals. But I believe there was trust and intimacy - But Edith ran off for her career and shattered DM. Perhaps he sees it as nonsense because he TRIED the romance side of things and still lost the girl.
    By the time he gets to Louisa it's been a long time since hes been in a relationship and he's a little rusty. Also the comments he made to Louisa might not have offended Edith, he only knows Edith remember. My husband is hopeless at romance etc - his father doesn't bother thus he's never had a role model or learnt HOW to be romantic. This might be DM's problem. Also why I will ensure my son sees a few chick flick so he knows how to treat a lady! :p

Right, I think Martin's only real previous experience with "romance" was with the unemotional, somewhat prickly, scientific Edith, who showed us in S4 what's "normal" for her and Martin. He told her her perfume smelled like cheese. She told him his breath had a metallic smell. That's normal for these two. Neither freaked out over it.

And I agree with Shop Girl and others in previous discussions that when Martin feels emotional or feels a loss of control coming on, he automatically goes into medical speak to regain a sense of control. The problem is that he doesn't realize how offensive this can be for a woman, especially since he tends to launch into a speech about odors.

You know, it's dawned on me that he also did this to Aunt Ruth after that emotional hug in S5. It wasn't so much medical speak, but he did divert to the smell thing. Big emotional moment and hug with his aunt followed instantly by, "This house stinks. Regurgitated breast milk." And, of course, he also did it after the huge emotional moment of James Henry's birth when he helpfully explained about the baby's misshapen head. Thanks for that, Martin.

It's interesting that at the end of S5 he was able to express emotion, finally managing to spit it out, that he loves Louisa, and he didn't immediately feel the need to divert everything toward a smell or medical speak. I think we're supposed to see this as major progress (and it is). He expressed it pretty plainly and simply. He's not on the verge of tears like in S4. He doesn't immediately switch to med-speak like in the past. It's just a fact. He loves her. A really big moment for him.
    Hey, about the spoiler photo, Louisa with her arm in a sling and an injury to her face, YES, I've also wondered if that doesn't tie in with the earlier photo and description of the scene in which Martin is racing along in the Lexus, has a fender bender with the red van, and leaps out of the car, scoots across the hood, and runs off, yelling that he doesn't have time for this. Yep. I bet he's just heard about Louisa's injury and is racing to the scene. I just wish we knew how this happened, but I guess we can't know everything in advance. I'm just so impatient!
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    You are right. I've read discussion of behavioral innuendo, not sexual like the tomatoes and eggplant of the later episode.

Have done a bit of research on onions and apples:

Onion: derived from the Latin unio, meaning unity or oneness; the layers have symbolically meant the discovery of truth and the uncovering of multiple facets; they are tied to the symbolism, mythology and magic of tears (which, in turn, have been considered a magical fluid in myth and fairytales--bestowing or restoring life). The onion-shaped domes on churches have signified the flame of a burning candle and the "idea of prayer as a soul burning towards heaven."

Apple: in old English, the word apple aeppel meant any fruit. Aside from the apple being the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden, it is also seen in fairy tales and symbolically as: the human heart; a token of life; a sacred fruit to the goddess Venus; feminine beauty and purity; immortality, rebirth and peace.

If the apples and onions weren't meant as a reference to the crew, we can certainly see some of the above meanings being characteristics of Louisa (also references to the relationship). Guess we'll never know for sure!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    After Edith told Martin his breath had a metallic smell, the next scene showed him brushing his teeth. It reminded me very much of the scene in the taxi in which Martin tells Louisa she has bad breath. Next episode she is stocking up on mouthwash at the chemists. The fact that Martin even appears to have a reaction to Edith's comment may mean that he is evolving and becoming a little more like Louisa in response to a doctor's "medical" opinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a) Surfing accident
    d) Tripped over Dodger

Mornin' Statesidefan! Don't know if you meant these to be hilarious but they sure did give me my morning laugh! Thanks so much!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a) Surfing accident
    d) Tripped over Dodger
    Don't forget a cat fight with Mrs. Tishell!
    Forum Member
    a) Surfing accident
    d) Tripped over Dodger
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Don't forget a cat fight with Mrs. Tishell!

Thanks to both of you--ate these up with my lunch! It will be fun to find out which one of you is actually correct!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    Just noticed that Doc Martin is on at 9! What a perfect start to a sunny weekend :-)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the details, SusieSagitarius, because this is what I have been trying to express (with limited success!). That they (Martin and Edith) definitely had been lovers and so when Louisa made her move why did Martin begin his absurd analysis? Because it's been so long that he has forgotten? Doubtful--and let us not forget that he has been longing for Louisa all along! I would imagine that the writers just thought up a good story segment here that fit with what was to take place the next day! It brings a poignant note when you describe Martin and Edith as young students and him writing her the love poem, because I hadn't imagined them in that way before, especially because Edith is the one you love to hate... sort of sad...

Let's remember--he desperately loved Edith, and wanted to marry her. She rejected him and it affected him deeply enough that he perhaps turned away completely from love and focused on his career, in which he attained extraordinary success and respect.

Suddenly, out of the blue, comes this school teacher he falls perhaps immediately in love with. He has no doubt problems understanding her (as she is in no way attached to medicine, in which he best relates), and a huge fear of rejection, which remember, she has done to him here and there. As we've discussed, when he is most unsure he retreats into medicine, which by habit is a successful area in life for him; for 20 years people always wanted to hear what he said and always listened and followed his directions. Not sure LG! She rejects his "absurd" analysis which at times seems mean, and over-sensitive and over-reactive, but as a result, over the years DM has had to grow and change, so the end result has indeed been good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Right, I think Martin's only real previous experience with "romance" was with the unemotional, somewhat prickly, scientific Edith, who showed us in S4 what's "normal" for her and Martin. He told her her perfume smelled like cheese. She told him his breath had a metallic smell. That's normal for these two. Neither freaked out over it.

And I agree with Shop Girl and others in previous discussions that when Martin feels emotional or feels a loss of control coming on, he automatically goes into medical speak to regain a sense of control. The problem is that he doesn't realize how offensive this can be for a woman, especially since he tends to launch into a speech about odors.

You know, it's dawned on me that he also did this to Aunt Ruth after that emotional hug in S5. It wasn't so much medical speak, but he did divert to the smell thing. Big emotional moment and hug with his aunt followed instantly by, "This house stinks. Regurgitated breast milk." And, of course, he also did it after the huge emotional moment of James Henry's birth when he helpfully explained about the baby's misshapen head. Thanks for that, Martin.

It's interesting that at the end of S5 he was able to express emotion, finally managing to spit it out, that he loves Louisa, and he didn't immediately feel the need to divert everything toward a smell or medical speak. I think we're supposed to see this as major progress (and it is). He expressed it pretty plainly and simply. He's not on the verge of tears like in S4. He doesn't immediately switch to med-speak like in the past. It's just a fact. He loves her. A really big moment for him.
    Hey, about the spoiler photo, Louisa with her arm in a sling and an injury to her face, YES, I've also wondered if that doesn't tie in with the earlier photo and description of the scene in which Martin is racing along in the Lexus, has a fender bender with the red van, and leaps out of the car, scoots across the hood, and runs off, yelling that he doesn't have time for this. Yep. I bet he's just heard about Louisa's injury and is racing to the scene. I just wish we knew how this happened, but I guess we can't know everything in advance. I'm just so impatient!

Hello, all,

I think it reduces the complexity of humanity to think we really know what DM and Edith were like for the years they were together as lovers, 25 years before we saw her show up in his life. Edith may have been prickly to LG, but to DM she had clear affection and patience, appreciated his point of view and enjoyed being around him.

I do not believe they were really egghead intellectual robots having sex when they were in medical school. For one thing, DM main issue in life is wanting someone to truly love him, which his parents clearly did not do, nor did he apparently have an easy time at boarding school. AJ gave him brief interludes of love which meant 40 years later he runs to her when he has his hemophilia and career change.

When Edith and he were together, I feel he at least was head over heels in love with her. Look at the couple of episodes in S3 after he and LG had been intimate and decided to marry--he was very considerate of her, asked her opinion, and was really striving to be a good partner, as well as he could. I imagine he and Edith could indeed have been romantic and loving, at times, as well as intellectual and medically oriented.

Even in the night in the hotel, Edith could indeed have been imagining a successful talk, no doubt a nice dinner, and a romantically sexual interlude afterwards.

As DM fans who perhaps have no doubt disliked Edith, it's easy to think their entire years together was cold and mechanical. I think there are indeed many signs we see to show that was not necessarily the case.

PS--the large transformer ad comes up again, now, with the reply section box and on the main site, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let everyone know that a few very helpful members have sent us some screenshots and identified the disruptive adverts, that I've forwarded this problem on to our advertising team. Once I hear back with more information, I'll let you guys know.

Apologies once again for the inconvenience.

Hello, Andy,

The LARGE transformer ad is back--from Universal Orlando Resort. PLEASE keep trying to remove it. Thanks!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The speculation is that it is a 2011 photo. MC looks heftier in his suit.
This discussion has been closed.