Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    That just about sums it up, it was the ultimate filler episode, nothing relevant to anything much happened, and come on, even if Jason isn't very bright after what must be several months at least living in an ancient civilisation he must have an idea you don't going round stealing from shrines and getting away with it?
    The whole thing was dreadful, the series had a lot of promise but has barely delivered anything that justifies the money spent.

What surprises me is that it's made by the Merlin team. Merlin was a superb, epic show with great characters, actors and plots but you would think that those same writers and producers could do a similar job with Atlantis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know how they can even think about doing a second series.

What a truly awful episode.

I thought Jason was immune from Atlantis spells/magic going from last weeks episode with Medusa.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »

I thought Jason was immune from Atlantis spells/magic going from last weeks episode with Medusa.

Only when it suits the writers.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »

solenoid wrote: »
    Only when it suits the writers.

Also...

Jason was cursed due to eating sacrificial meat in Hecate's temple.

Pythagoras killed one of Hecate's priests, in Hecate's temple, by crushing him with a statue of Hecate. A priest who had done nothing wrong, and was defending his temple against a trio of defilers who had broken in.

So surely Pythagoras should be cursed even worse than Jason?
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded it and just put it on fast forward in case something happened. I never stopped once. After that I deleted it from my PVR series timer because I really have had enough. That was interesting to read that interview. After the first episode I never heard him really look for any answers about his dad. Occasionally he would ask the Oracle and she wouldn't tell him anything.

The BBC are in negotiations with Love film or something to keep Ripper Street alive so it would be more cost effective for the licence payer. We are in effect paying for these actors and crew to have a long holiday in Morocco as I wouldn't call any of what we are seeing as work. There is no way the BBC can say the licence payer is getting value for money and should cut its losses.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to play devil's advocate - Atlantis is still posting better ratings than Ripper Street.

Tonight's ep was CITV script with primetime images.

I really really really want to love this show (and I'm still watching)- but it's testing my resilience to the limit!
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really need to cancel this show. Surely its not too late to do so? A second series of this utter rubbish is a waste of everyone's time and money. Its not going anywhere. Its been messed up. Accept it and cut the losses rather than limping on for another series. Its so bad its like Primeval!
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Why didn't they just tell the princess that Jason was turning into a werewolf instead of making up "comedy" excuses?
  • rtms77rtms77 Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    From the Article

And he doesn't seem all that surprised about his situation.
    Yeah, I thought that. … But I spoke about this with the producers. I said, "How much of the story do you want to tell of Jason being new to this world and everything comes as a surprise and wrestling with that?" And they said "not a lot. We're not looking to tell a big fish-out-of-water story."

The way we spoke about it, the way I justified it to myself was I think because he was born there, because he's from Atlantis, it makes sense to him. He's starting to come alive and be himself. And I think being so far away from another world, being on Earth for 25 years--it's been death to him. It's the same way, I guess, Superman feels when he goes and gets energy from the sun and everything.

His powers start kicking in. This is Jason I'm talking about. You know, that's why he adapts because suddenly for the first time in his life everything feels right and he feels alive. And yes, it's very different this world, but I don't know necessarily about if that happened to anyone in the modern world now whether you would be striving to come back. Atlantis, for all its monsters and magic and stuff, it's still a pretty cool world. I don't know if I ended up there I'd say, "Yeah, I'll go back to 2013 London." Yeah, I might stick it out for a bit as well. So that's how I justified it to myself and he adapts as quickly as he does.

So it's deliberate,plus faulty writing. These guys are the lazyiest bunch of writers and producers around. Why bother to set this up and then never address it while the audience is clearly invested in the mystery of Jason? They had a perfect story there but nope, we have to butcher a bunch of myths because then we have a baddie of the week.I would hope they listen to the complaints but then this is Capps and Murphy, they really don't have ears to hear anything but their own voices.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    What surprises me is that it's made by the Merlin team. Merlin was a superb, epic show with great characters, actors and plots but you would think that those same writers and producers could do a similar job with Atlantis.

I'm not surprised, these are the same writers who thought Merlin's magic was so unimportant Arthur never found out about it, they missed the whole point of their own pro- and- anti magic storylines and how it could resolve the mindset both ways and reunite the kingdom in a golden age, etc etc.
    This time they don't think Jason being from the 21st century is important. I don't get why that was put in if they were going to ignore it. Just like Merlin' and they've also missed the opportunity to tell us (via Jason being new to it) what Atlantis is, where it is and why it looks more like Minoan Crete than anything else.
    Last night's episode was filler- by-numbers, presumably to use up time as 13 episodes was way too long to keep the non- existant plot going.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That episode was so dull it was genuinely painful.

Capps and Murphy really are the luckiest hack story tellers around and we can only hope that their luck runs out when this is cancelled next year. They really don't deserve the success.

The only bright side is it seems almost inevitable that this will lose its slot to Doctor Who next year.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked this episode, a fluffy filler, sure, but I found it entertaining.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What to say about last nights episode and not sort of sound like a moaner..how come they can afford to visit the pub and get sloshed yet can't afford some bread? Jason's been around a bit now and should be able to spot a temple/ritual place to a god from 100 yards away and know to leave ASAP, could of been so much more if the writters laid off the forced gags and actually stuck some plot in the scripts
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    They really need to cancel this show. Surely its not too late to do so? A second series of this utter rubbish is a waste of everyone's time and money. Its not going anywhere. Its been messed up. Accept it and cut the losses rather than limping on for another series. Its so bad its like Primeval!

I disagree...only with the last bit.. Primeval was occasionally hokum but it was WAY more entertaining than Atlantis can ever hope to be. I still miss Cutter..and Connor. As far as Atlantis is concerned that blinking tidal wave can't come soon enough!

Completely off topic and apologies if discussed in some other forum but what do these :kitty: and ^_^ new symbols mean?!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    4.2m viewers on BBC One last night. It's still holding on to just over 4m viewers but only just.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4.2m viewers on BBC One last night. It's still holding on to just over 4m viewers but only just.
    I guess they'll improve drastically next week, but only as a result of no competition on ITV (just another airing of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix), plus the humongous lead in it'll get from the Strictly final.

Which will no doubt allow the BBC to claim the show was a huge success when the series ends. >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the BBC liked to pride themselves on excellence and yet this show is going to be laughed at and be torn apart from viewers of other countries. I am surprised the BBC want to embarrass themselves across the world.

We get Borgen and we give them Atlantis :D
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be ok if they put it on at 4pm for children. For adults it really is an insult. I have been hanging on and forgiving the mangling of the Greek Myths in the hope some interesting storyline of why Jason is actually there or is it just a dream induced by lack or oxygen underwater and that is why it is so bad. Last night's programme was remarkable in its dreadfulness.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »
    I think it would be ok if they put it on at 4pm for children. For adults it really is an insult. I have been hanging on and forgiving the mangling of the Greek Myths in the hope some interesting storyline of why Jason is actually there or is it just a dream induced by lack or oxygen underwater and that is why it is so bad. Last night's programme was remarkable in its dreadfulness.

I was only thinking today that this belonged on CBBC and would be a good lead in to Shaun the Sheep but he is far too good an actor to have this lot anywhere near him!
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly dreadful episode. Why were they all suddenly so poor, what have they been doing for cash for the previous 8 episodes?
    The scenes with the king and queen were just pointless.

I'll stick with it till the end in the hope of a decent cliffhanger.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    So surely Pythagoras should be cursed even worse than Jason?

Perhaps the goddess looked upon his face and decided he was cursed enough already? :D
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Perhaps the goddess looked upon his face and decided he was cursed enough already? :D

Probably decided the entire show was cursed and let jason off on compassionate grounds ;) probably wishing that they could fade back into history with their respect
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    We've had some pretty bad episodes but this was genuinely awful.

Naked Jason aside, nothing interesting actually happened and it was certainly nowhere near as funny as the writers thought it was either.

At least Ariadne was helpful in the episode and we got some continuity on Pasiphae trying to bump off Minos but aside from that, this was a waste of an episode, 4/10
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »

They said there were some genuinely funny exchanges? Where? I didn't see any. At least fart jokes are funny. This show isn't. The attempts at humour are cringeworthy.