Options

Is there a way to Download ITV Player shows?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive seen a few ITV shows being advertised on the net but my speed is absolutely shit. It will play 5 seconds of a show and then buffer then another 5 seconds then buffer and takes just ages to watch a show.

Is there not a way to dl the shows onto my pc to watch? I think BBC iplayer does a similar thing. Ive tried googling the problem and all I get is people saying use tubedigger or getflv both of which are shareware programs as in they let you try the product for a few days but you cant dl the full episode only a small fraction of it.

Is there no other way of watching the shows offline? Mind you the more days that elapse the less shows are on iplayer due to their 30 day limit of stuff.

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised you cannot watch ITV player online - how do you connect to internet ?

If you are using an old dialup type of system, I would expect problems, but most broadband systems should easily be fast enough. Even most 3G mobiles would be fast enough provided you can get a signal?

ITV Player doesn't support downloads, but there are packages that will record in real time (ongoing debate over legality though). These will not help though if you cannot watch online with a stable picture,.

Not sure anything can be done unless you improve your internet speed,
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sounds like you need to state how you get your internet.

Is it broadband or dial up?

Is it cable?

Are there crackles on your phone line? Do you have phone extensions in the house?

Do you have a modem and a cordless phone? Is your modem and your cordless phone broadcasting on the same channel? Do you have filters fitted to phone points?

So many variables that have to be considered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need to state how you get your internet.

Is it broadband or dial up?

Is it cable?

Are there crackles on your phone line? Do you have phone extensions in the house?

Do you have a modem and a cordless phone? Is your modem and your cordless phone broadcasting on the same channel? Do you have filters fitted to phone points?

So many variables that have to be considered.

Its broadband but its not very fast. no extensions but being on a budget couldnt afford the decent ones. Modem is wired.

If ITV had a thing where you could wait for the video to load like youtube does that would be great. Sadly its just unwatchable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guessing you have a really old modem/router, an possibly an old contract?.

Call up your ISP and ask them what speed you could expect and ask them to test your line. It may well be you just need a new router which they should provide free for you.

If your own ISP does not help, I would consider changing ISP. There are many cheap deals around now and they would all provide a new free modem with wifi etc.

Even a relatively slow modern broadband connection should be fast enough to watch streaming tv in SD,
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Sky. They don't stream, but use progressive download, which downloads to the box and viewing is available when there's enough stored to finish the programme without buffering.

Also means anyone regardless of BB speed can watch catch up HD content from the likes of C4 and C5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I am guessing you have a really old modem/router, an possibly an old contract?.

Call up your ISP and ask them what speed you could expect and ask them to test your line. It may well be you just need a new router which they should provide free for you.

If your own ISP does not help, I would consider changing ISP. There are many cheap deals around now and they would all provide a new free modem with wifi etc.

Even a relatively slow modern broadband connection should be fast enough to watch streaming tv in SD,

The majority of them arent avaliable in my area.

On a slight different note seems ITV player are charging to rent old shows out? I thought the license fee covered stuff like this.

Well known shows like BOAF is understandable due to dvd releases but a hidden camera show???
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On a slight different note seems ITV player are charging to rent old shows out? I thought the license fee covered stuff like this.

The TV Licence fee has nothing to do with ITV.
    They are commercially funded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    The TV Licence fee has nothing to do with ITV.
    They are commercially funded.

Is that the same reason why shows are only avaliable for 30 days? Seems odd why they dont just keep them on the player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the same reason why shows are only avaliable for 30 days? Seems odd why they dont just keep them on the player.

I wonder why you have not answered the questions asked of you re. your broadband setup when people are trying to help you solve your issues. If you do not need any more help, that is fine but please let us know as a courtesy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I wonder why you have not answered the questions asked of you re. your broadband setup when people are trying to help you solve your issues. If you do not need any more help, that is fine but please let us know as a courtesy.

I have answered the question.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, ITV has nothing to do with the TV license fee, at least directly - although many argue it benefits by having to compete with the enormous high quality the BBC can achieve because of it.

The 30 day limit is based on licensing agreements which turns out to now be the default period around the world for catch-up television. The theory being that 30 days is enough to watch a show that was missed. This also allows the series to find other forms of revenue afterwards, either via DVD/Blu-Ray sales, other online subscription services (e.g. Netflix, or even ITV's own rental platform) etc.

They could go down the route of Channel 4's 4oD with an older library of on-demand box sets, but even 4oD tends to leave the show off the table for a while before returning to the box-set library.

Things will probably change in the future as online delivery becomes more popular and eventually the norm.

But no, it has nothing to do with the TV license fee, which funds the BBC, a public broadcasting service which is not funded by advertising (unlike Channel 4, which is also a public broadcaster, but funded by advertising and not the license fee).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have answered the question.

My apologies - what I really meant was a more detailed response. You really gave virtually no details for us to assist you in your response - useful info would be e,g,

present ISP
    speed of line/cost
    type of modem
    do you connect via wifi (perhaps you are too far away)
    etc.

Please bear in mind the more information you give us, the better we can help you.

best regards.
  • Options
    dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Ive seen a few ITV shows being advertised on the net but my speed is absolutely shit. It will play 5 seconds of a show and then buffer then another 5 seconds then buffer and takes just ages to watch a show.

Is there not a way to dl the shows onto my pc to watch? I think BBC iplayer does a similar thing. Ive tried googling the problem and all I get is people saying use tubedigger or getflv both of which are shareware programs as in they let you try the product for a few days but you cant dl the full episode only a small fraction of it.

Is there no other way of watching the shows offline? Mind you the more days that elapse the less shows are on iplayer due to their 30 day limit of stuff.

The is an Mac OS application called Get iPlayer Automator that allows you to download BBC, ITV & Channel 4 TV shows. I doubt it's legal though. Perhaps if you search online you might be able to find find something similar for Windows / Linux, if your not a mac user.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The is an Mac OS application called Get iPlayer Automator that allows you to download BBC, ITV & Channel 4 TV shows. I doubt it's legal though. Perhaps if you search online you might be able to find find something similar for Windows / Linux, if your not a mac user.

I use PlayonHD & PlaylaterHD (I've a lifelong membership for both) & there fantastic! :)

(PlayLaterHD allows you 2 grab any video off the net & store it on ya computer for future viewing! ... Like an online DVR!) :cool:

unblockUS added to ya router comes in handy aswell! ;-)
  • Options
    JoddleJoddle Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I use PlayonHD & PlaylaterHD (I've a lifelong membership for both) & there fantastic! :)

(PlayLaterHD allows you 2 grab any video off the net & store it on ya computer for future viewing! ... Like an online DVR!) :cool:

unblockUS added to ya router comes in handy aswell! ;-)

But does it work with catchup ITV, CH4 and CH5 programmes? - all theprogrammes Ive tried so far stop when they get to the anti recording code - however they all seem to work with BBC iplayer but not with other channels.