MAGIC! - Rude

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just noticed this was on UK iTunes, it's been doing well in Australia and has charted in Canada and New Zealand.

Do you see it doing well in the UK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh2xe4jnpk

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    I love this song! Had it for a month or so now. Sounds like old-school No Doubt.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now it's no. 1 in the US. Hadn't heard until yesterday and it's stuck in my brain.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's to release at the same time as Cheryl, also higher on the charts, I can only dream of a small chance it'll stop Cheryl from going to no1
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    It's to release at the same time as Cheryl, also higher on the charts, I can only dream of a small chance it'll stop Cheryl from going to no1

The fact that it's a far, far superior song means if there's any justice in this world it will get to no1. It's getting a ridiculous amount of radio AirPlay, Ken Bruce even played it on Radio 2 yesterday! This song is going to be massive, I've been listening to it on the radio for weeks wondering what it was called and who sang it!:D
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think this will definitely be a UK #1.

As for the Cheryl chart battle, I think MAGIC! will win because they're currently selling more in pre-orders (and whilst Cheryl has more overall, it shouldn't be too difficult to make up the gap), and also it will definitely get more streaming.

They should have moved Cheryl's release to this week. I think she could've beaten the Rixton song, since they're getting fairly low sales for a #1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that it's a far, far superior song means if there's any justice in this world it will get to no1. It's getting a ridiculous amount of radio AirPlay, Ken Bruce even played it on Radio 2 yesterday! This song is going to be massive, I've been listening to it on the radio for weeks wondering what it was called and who sang it!:D
    I even heard it on Heart FM, I guess it's one if those songs which get airplay everywhere
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I even heard it on Heart FM, I guess it's one if those songs which get airplay everywhere

It has Heart written all over it, they will play it to death. Capital play it all the time, it's been A listed by Radio 1, Radio2 are even playing it. It's very catchy and radio friendly.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I think this will definitely be a UK #1.

As for the Cheryl chart battle, I think MAGIC! will win because they're currently selling more in pre-orders (and whilst Cheryl has more overall, it shouldn't be too difficult to make up the gap), and also it will definitely get more streaming.

They should have moved Cheryl's release to this week. I think she could've beaten the Rixton song, since they're getting fairly low sales for a #1.

Why pre order a download? Why not just download it when it's out :confused:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic song. I thought it was Michael Buble originally

It's different to what is out there so happy it is doing well over here. US have loved it.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Why pre order a download? Why not just download it when it's out :confused:

I don't know. I've never pre-ordered a song before, but tens of thousands of people do for some reason.

Yeah, it's a big crossover hit, that appeals to many demographics. To be fair to Cheryl, her song has more crossover-ability than most of her previous releases, but still not as much as Rude. In the US Rude is getting played even on alternative radio stations.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is clearly going to be massive! I think in the first week, Cheryl will probably get that number one but it will fall quicky. This will hang around and rebound the week after.

I heard somebody describe it on the radio as "a song from a carribean Michael Buble album" which is spot on. I've heard it on ever station I've flicked through over this last week, it will no doubt be a massive hit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Loving this song..soo catchy. Hope it gets no.1!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one of those incredibly bleh songs that the public just seem to eat up see All Of You, Just The Way you Are....
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally figured out what this song reminded me of the bridge Hand To Mouth By George Michael and No Doubt most of their back catalogue :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic song. I thought it was Michael Buble originally

It's different to what is out there so happy it is doing well over here. US have loved it.

Lol, he doesn't do pop reggae. Not that i'm a Michael Buble fan.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl will lose this battle
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect another record company PR job behind this thread :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    Cheryl will lose this battle

Its definitely gonna be close
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl will debut at #1 and MAGIC! at #2, then they'll swap places the following week.

Cheryl will then be the first out of the 2 to fall out of the top 40 altogether.

It's an excellent song. Ridiculously catchy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No2 behind Talentless Tweedy

Let's hope they switch places by Sunday
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    No2 behind Talentless Tweedy

Let's hope they switch places by Sunday

According to Kworb, Cheryl is currently outselling MAGIC! 2/1 which is laughable. When Crazy Stupid Love drops out of the top 40, Rude is most likely still going to be inside the top 10.

2014 really has been a weird year for chart toppers. At least 2013 had quite a few gems that have become modern day classics, but most of this year has been forgettable crap.

No wonder the biggest selling single so far this year is a song that was released in 2013 (although I'd be happy to see Rather Be become the biggest seller of the year even though that's not gonna happen).
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the song but the lead singer looks like such a douchebag in the video! Who wears a red beanie hat at you wedding and was that really his best suit at the start?
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The songs awful in my opinion, nothing will keep Rather Be off best no1 this year
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this will be the Happy or Get Lucky of this year - it's do really well and stick around for ages but everyone will be completely sick of it in a few months because the media will overplay it to death.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is catchy yes but incredibly annoying. I hate the "marry that girl" bit, it just really grates for some reason. The lyrics are clichéd and unoriginal, the song is too repetitive and the video is cringeworthy with awful dancing and that beanie hat :eek:. It's also certainly not superior to Crazy Stupid Love imo.