Madonna Appreciation Thread

Comments

• rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollywood is a classic.

Along with Celebration I'd probably rate it as her best this decade.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of her best songs, This Used To Be My Playground, should be on.
  • Pop_ArtPop_Art Posts: 5,116
    Forum Member
    Yeah the main hoo ha from the fans on this is the absence of True Blue and This Used To Be My Playground. It seems they are probably more popular than Madonna thought but given both were massive number 1 singles for her, you think she would have known. Maybe one day we will get a #1s collection where they finally get their moment.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    One of her best songs, This Used To Be My Playground, should be on.

That's probaly one of the best ballads madonnas ever done, it's a shame such great sings are missing out on what probaly will madonnas last greatest hits for a very long time :(
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think True Blue is left off because of the connection with Sean Penn plus shes always hated it since the 80s.
  • SuperstokedSuperstoked Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohirome wrote: »
    I think True Blue is left off because of the connection with Sean Penn plus shes always hated it since the 80s.

But surely she must realize how much the fans love it. It's not about what SHE wants. lol

I would have liked something like this:

CD 1:
    01) Music
    02) Vogue
    03) Express Yourself
    04) Crazy For You
    05) Like A Virgin
    06) Into The Groove
    07) La Isla Bonita
    08) Secret
    09) This Used To Be My Playground
    10) Frozen
    11) 4 Minutes
    12) Live To Tell
    13) Borderline
    14) Ray Of Light
    15) Like A Prayer
    16) Justify My Love
    17) Erotica
    18) Hung Up

CD 2:
    01) Material Girl
    02) Dress You Up
    03) True Blue
    04) Papa Don't Preach
    05) Open Your Heart
    06) Secret
    07) Lucky Star
    08) Don't Tell Me
    09) Gambler
    10) Sorry
    11) Everybody
    12) Beautiful Stranger
    13) Die Another Day
    14) Take A Bow
    15) Who's That Girl
    16) Holiday
    17) Revolver
    18) Celebration
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely she must realize how much the fans love it. It's not about what SHE wants. lol

Yeah thats true. I think its a very casual fan favourite. Most everyday music fans would want it for Vogue, Music, Like a Prayer etc. I think people are forgetting that this is basically just a contractual release album...she had to make one more album for Warner and here it is. Im excited because its a new package and its something to add the collection but I have all of these songs and more already...its no biggy if True Blue or, god forbid, JImmy Jimmy isnt on there :P
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'm not too fussed about the ommission of True Blue. Yeah it's a great song, but i think it's quite nice to have a few forgotten gems in her back catalogue :p I think we all knew it wouldn't make it. At least we have Dress You Up :D

I'm also not atall suprised at the ommission of Gamber (hell i'm a huge Madonna fan and not even I own a copy of this!) but it would be nice for it to be released in some form on a re-release or rarities collection at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohirome wrote: »
    Yeah thats true. I think its a very casual fan favourite. Most everyday music fans would want it for Vogue, Music, Like a Prayer etc. I think people are forgetting that this is basically just a contractual release album...she had to make one more album for Warner and here it is. Im excited because its a new package and its something to add the collection but I have all of these songs and more already...its no biggy if True Blue or, god forbid, JImmy Jimmy isnt on there :P

Well yeah, I already have her albums but it would be nice to see "True Blue" just for once on a GH package.
    I assume we are equally alike where Madonna is concerned, we'll buy almost anything and no doubt i'll buy this but It's going to irk me getting this and then having to make yet another compilation of favorites through nero. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I'm not too fussed about the ommission of True Blue. Yeah it's a great song, but i think it's quite nice to have a few forgotten gems in her back catalogue :p I think we all knew it wouldn't make it. At least we have Dress You Up :D

I'm also not at all suprised at the ommission of Gamber (hell i'm a huge Madonna fan and not even I own a copy of this!) but it would be nice for it to be released in some form on a re-release or rarities collection at some point.

I don't have it either. (I had the vinyl back in the eighties, but that's long gone)

I'll be darned if I'll be buying the crappy "Vision Quest" sountrack for one song. lol

I agree with you... I think i'll wait for a re-release or something.
    Forum Member
    From MadonnaTribe:

A couple of days ago MadonnaTribe.com brought its readers the first look the track list of Madonna's new Celebration double cd compilation. Today we can add a few more details about the project.
    Unlike The Immaculate Collection, released in 1990 with all brand new remixed edits in the great Q sound, Celebration unfortunately will not contain new remixed edits but mostly already released original Album Versions and Radio Edits of the hits plus some versions lifted from The Immaculate Collection.

Probably a bit more of a effort could have been put in the production of this project, especially after how badly the previous collection GHV2, completely made of recycled old materials, has been received by the diehard fans, but at least we have the two great singles, Celebration and Revolver that partly make up for this lack of originality.

And here are the exclusive details about the double cd track list.

CD 1:
    01) Hung Up - LP Version
    02) Music - LP Version
    03) Vogue - Immaculate Collection Version
    04) 4 Minutes - LP Edit
    05) Holiday - LP Version
    06) Like A Virgin - Immaculate Collection Version
    07) Into The Groove - LP Version
    08) Everybody - LP Edit
    09) Like A Prayer - Immaculate Collection Version
    10) Ray Of Light - LP Version
    11) Sorry - LP Edit
    12) Express Yourself - Immaculate Collection Version
    13) Open Your Heart - Immaculate Collection Version
    14) Borderline - Immaculate Collection Version
    15) Secret - LP Edit
    16) Erotica - LP Edit
    17) Justify My Love - LP Version
    18) Celebrate

CD 2:
    01) Dress You Up - LP Edit
    02) Material Girl - LP Version
    03) La Isla Bonita - LP Version
    04) Papa Don't Preach - LP Version
    05) Lucky Star - LP Edit
    06) Burning Up - LP Version
    07) Crazy For You - Immaculate Collection Version
    08) Who's That Girl - LP Version
    09) Frozen - LP Version
    10) Miles Away - LP Edit
    11) Take A Bow - LP Version
    12) Beautiful Stranger - LP Version
    13) Hollywood - LP Version
    14) Die Another Day - LP Version
    15) Don't Tell Me - LP Edit
    16) Live To Tell - LP Version
    17) Cherish - Immaculate Collection Version
    18) Revolver
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ interesting!

I'm over the moon they've used the lp versions of "Holiday", "Into The Groove" and "Ray Of Light".

Although, i'm a little p*ssed off that they've used the immaculate collection versiobs of "Like A Prayer", "Vogue" and "Express Yourself" again. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Immaculate Collection version of Express Yourself, Like a Prayer and Vogue??!?! What the hell are they playing at :confused::confused: :mad:

The whole collection has just gone from being great, to crap.

I don't understand why any of the mixes from IC need to make there way onto the album. They should either remix them into new 2009 versions (like they did with IC originally) or use the single edits (where available) most of which are rare in their own right :( The single edit of Vogue is the best version!!
    Forum Member
    I think the LP version of Holiday is shite. I wished they were using the TIC of that or even better a 09 update.

At least not all of them are radio edits though which is a good thing.imo

All of the songs on it as digitally remastered.

I'm more exicted that we seem to be getting the original Into The Groove for the very first time! :p TIC remix was good but the original has always been better.
    Forum Member
    Pop_Art wrote: »

I'm more exicted that we seem to be getting the original Into The Groove for the very first time! :p TIC remix was good but the original has always been better.

Oooh i hasn't noticed that :o... That slightly makes up for using the other IC mixes :D

I'm very pleased at the inclusion of the full version of Hung Up. That is definately the best version, the edit cuts out the best part of the song :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Immaculate Collection version of Express Yourself, Like a Prayer and Vogue??!?! What the hell are they playing at :confused::confused: :mad:

The whole collection has just gone from being great, to crap.

I don't understand why any of the mixes from IC need to make there way onto the album. They should either remix them into new 2009 versions (like they did with IC originally) or use the single edits (where available) most of which are rare in their own right :( The single edit of Vogue is the best version!!

I'd say this was a very lazy effort and the only thing that's saving it right now are the two new songs otherwise I wouldn't be buying it.

I agree with you about "Vogue" - the single version rocks because it cuts away all the long intro.

I'm so angry about "Like A Prayer" I could scream. lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop_Art wrote: »
    I think the LP version of Holiday is shite. I wished they were using the TIC of that or even better a 09 update.

At least not all of them are radio edits though which is a good thing.imo

All of the songs on it as digitally remastered.

The Immaculate version of "Into The Groove" was incredibly naff. - It just didn't grab me like the one from "Virgin".
    Forum Member
    I'd say this was a very lazy effort and the only thing that's saving it right now are the two new songs otherwise I wouldn't buy it.

I agree with you about "Vogue" - the single version rocks because it cuts away all the long intro.

I'm so angry about "Like A Prayer" I could scream. lol

That version of Vogue is definatley my favourite. I was really hoping it would make it onto this album. It's always the version they play on the radio too.

I can't believe they would do this to Like a Prayer :eek: The IC version isn't a patch on the LP or 7" version. I just hope they cut off the completely out of place 'God?' from the start.

Up until now i've just kinda plodded along with this GH knowing that the tracklising isn't gong to please everybody and that it's not 'for the fans', but this is just plain stupid! They ain't pleasing anybody :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's generally a very strong collection. And as others have pointed out with a greatest hits collection where there is only room for 36 tracks you are never going to please everyone. However, I do think with a few minor tweaks it could be so much better. I don't see the point of including "Lucky Star" and "Everybody". They were minor hits and have already featured on "The Immaculate Collection". If she wanted so much early material included why not "Angel" and "Gambler" instead (for a change!). I know she doesn't like "True Blue" but it seems to be a fan favourite and was a huge hit. It should be included. And as much as I like "Miles Away" I find it a strange inclusion when there is no room for "Give It 2 Me", "Rain" or "This Used To Be My Playground".
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    It's still a great list, I'm happy with it
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had the opportunity here to do quite a 'definitive' set but it's far from that. 5 years down the line it'll probably come!
    Forum Member
    I think my only problem with the list is that Bad Girl, Rain or This Used To Be My Playground should have been there instead of Lucky Star. I am pleased that Burning Up and Everybody have been included though. Its just that Lucky Star was on TIC so didn't really need to feature again not when her first album has more tracks on this GH than any other!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think whatever was on the 2 disc edition, her fans would have complained as there's just far to many songs.

Imagine if she's gone all guns blazing and released a 3rd disc set that looked something like this:

01) - Drowned Word/Substitute For Love
    02) - Get Together
    03) - American Life
    04) - Gambler
    05) - You'll See
    06) - Causing A Commotion
    07) - This Used To Be My Playground
    08) - Deeper and Deeper
    09) - Give It 2 Me
    10) - True Blue
    11) - Angel
    12) - Bad Girl
    13) - Human Nature
    14) - Jump
    15) - Oh Father
    16) - Nothing Really Matters
    17) - Rain
    18) - The Power Of Goodbye
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who's disappointed that Hanky Panky isn't included in this, or her last Greatest Hits collection. I know it's cheesy, and she may feel embarrassed about the song now, but it was a top 2 hit here in the UK, so surely worthy of inclusion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's disappointed that Hanky Panky isn't included in this, or her last Greatest Hits collection. I know it's cheesy, and she may feel embarrassed about the song now, but it was a top 2 hit here in the UK, so surely worthy of inclusion.

OMG...I'm playing that song right now and was just going to say something about it - How weird.

It's a good little song but totally different to the other songs she's done. I'm not sure how it would have sat well amongst them.
This discussion has been closed.