Belkin wireless adaptor problem ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had to make my pc wireless so i bought a Belkin N wireless adaptor.

The problem is it drops out a lot......it still says i'm connected and my signal is very good / excellent... but then i'm not able to access any website pages.

I've also got a laptop, and a netbook and there's no problem with them staying connected so i know it's not a router problem.

It went for a full day the other day without any problems but last night and today it's playing up again and i have to keep "repairing"

Any ideas on why this is ?

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    1. It's a Belkin. Don't buy Belkins for wireless.

2. Try changing the wireless channel on the router, as there may be interference on the one you're currently using. The router manual or Google will tell you how. Choose either channel 1, 6 or 11. inSSIDer will show you the clearest channel to use.

3. If the adaptor is USB, make sure you haven't plugged it around the back of the PC. Use the extension cable and position the adaptor on top of the desk or somewhere where it's out in the open and can pick up a better signal.

4. Disable the supplied Belkin software and just use Windows own wireless connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the Router from Talk Talk so there is no manual, it just came with a quick set up guide.

I honestly wouldn't have a clue about how to change channels either i'd do more damage than good.

It is a usb one, plugged into the front of the pc. ...There is no extension cable for it:confused:

It's already controlled by Windows Utility if that's what ya mean....
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    1. It's a Belkin. Don't buy Belkins for wireless.

+1,000,000,000,000

Buy a different brand of Wireless adapter and watch your results improve instantly.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    I got the Router from Talk Talk so there is no manual, it just came with a quick set up guide.

I honestly wouldn't have a clue about how to change channels either i'd do more damage than good.

It is a usb one, plugged into the front of the pc. ...There is no extension cable for it:confused:

It's already controlled by Windows Utility if that's what ya mean....

Tell us the make/model of the modem router -all routers have a menu to access and setup, it's almost always accessed via a webpage using a special IP address, once in the menu there's a setting that allows you to select 1 of 13 channels for wifi. You select a different channel, press save and that's it.

It is not difficult whatsoever, unless you're totally incapable of moving a mouse around the screen without causing explosions or devastation, you can do it.

Google will inevitably also have many pages of info on your modem router with how to access the setup etc.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what it is about belkin, they use the same chipsets as everyone else yet I have heard of some many issues with them. I normally stick with netgear, linksys or tp-link.

Lins - as orbital has requested post the make and model.

Also i will add that 2.4 GHz wireless is getting frigging jam packed these days especially in high density urban areas like flats where its becoming common to see 15, 20 or more networks. Wireless N should help as it uses multiple channels but I am coming across more and more situations where changing channels is not improving situation much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    +1,000,000,000,000

Buy a different brand of Wireless adapter and watch your results improve instantly.

Yea i think i will, i've googled this problem and it seems like a lot of people have been experiencing the same .
    Tell us the make/model of the modem router -all routers have a menu to access and setup, it's almost always accessed via a webpage using a special IP address, once in the menu there's a setting that allows you to select 1 of 13 channels for wifi. You select a different channel, press save and that's it.

It is not difficult whatsoever, unless you're totally incapable of moving a mouse around the screen without causing explosions or devastation, you can do it.

Google will inevitably also have many pages of info on your modem router with how to access the setup etc.

It's a Huawei Echolife HG521.

I'm quite capable of moving a mouse around thanks, i just don't like messing with settings whem i'm not sure what i'm doing.

I'll get a new wireless adaptor and see if that is any improvement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok it's best to do this with a computer connected to the Huewei modem using a network cable and not using a wireless connected computer (as we'll be interupting the wireless signal soon!) You should have got a network cable with the modem.

Open a web browswer and type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar, then press enter (note there's no 'www')
    1 enter admin for the username & password and press OK
    2 click on advanced in the left hand side menu
    3 click on OK to the advance user warning
    4 click on Basic in the left hand side menu then WLAN
    5 Change the wireless channel, select a different channel from the drop down menu under Wireless Channel (try channel 1, 6 or 11)
    6 Click the submit button at the bottom of the screen to save settings.

Channels 1, 6 or 11 are often the best channels but you can try any channel in the list. Note that your wireless computers may need to rescan to find the changed channel.

If your modem is close to a wireless phone base unit, move them apart and see if that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok it's best to do this with a computer connected to the Huewei modem using a network cable and not using a wireless connected computer (as we'll be interupting the wireless signal soon!) You should have got a network cable with the modem.

Open a web browswer and type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar, then press enter (note there's no 'www')
    1 enter admin for the username & password and press OK
    2 click on advanced in the left hand side menu
    3 click on OK to the advance user warning
    4 click on Basic in the left hand side menu then WLAN
    5 Change the wireless channel, select a different channel from the drop down menu under Wireless Channel (try channel 1, 6 or 11)
    6 Click the submit button at the bottom of the screen to save settings.

Channels 1, 6 or 11 are often the best channels but you can try any channel in the list. Note that your wireless computers may need to rescan to find the changed channel.

If your modem is close to a wireless phone base unit, move them apart and see if that helps.

The cable that came with it doesn't reach the pc. ( router sits downstairs, pc is upstairs.)

I haven't got a wireless phone either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    The cable that came with it doesn't reach the pc. ( router sits downstairs, pc is upstairs.)

I haven't got a wireless phone either.

Use your laptop or netbook then.... just connect the lead and do the above.... plug in the network cable, turn off the wireless on the laptop (although it won't matter if you left it running I don't suppose)

You could even do it with any wireless computer except that once you've changed channels you might well lose the wireless connection until you rescan and find your wireless network again.

It's really quite straightforward, honest!