Options

Singers faking (buying) their twitter followers!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngreathouse/2012/08/27/celebrities-with-the-most-allegedly-fake-twitter-followers/

I am mostly surprised by the singers.

I know it's not something new as few years back, it was reported that Rihanna's record label had bought Facebook likes. Do you think singers and labels are going too far trying to compete with one another?

Comments

• Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they do, it would be the labels.

And naturally the more followers you get, the more fake accounts will follow you. Also, what's to say the accounts aren't just people who signed up and only used it once or only use it to get updates from whoever?

It doesn't surprise me that the Twitter account itself has a lot of fake followers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they do, it would be the labels.

And naturally the more followers you get, the more fake accounts will follow you. Also, what's to say the accounts aren't just people who signed up and only used it once or only use it to get updates from whoever?

It doesn't surprise me that the Twitter account itself has a lot of fake followers.

The report above separates the inactive followers from the fake followers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They buy youtube views as well. It isn't very hard. A lot of new artists do it to get people interested because people are more likely to watch if it has more views.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of Bieber's followers on twitter are fake accounts or inactive.

MTV have added the new category 'Most shared- Worthy Video'. For your vote to be counted you have to share the MTV link on twitter. So far 1D have been beating Bieber for most of the time. Even when Bieber has been at the #1 spot, he's not leading by a great amount, which isn't what you would expect as he has 27 million followers and when 1D only have 6 million followers on twitter so he should've easily defeated them. So that means that a lot more 1D fans have been voting and sharing the link on twitter in comparison to the beliebers.

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/2012/most-share-worthy-video/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stally wrote: »
    I think most of Bieber's followers on twitter are fake accounts or inactive.

MTV have added the new category 'Most shared- Worthy Video'. For your vote to be counted you have to share the MTV link on twitter. So far 1D have been beating Bieber for most of the time. Even when Bieber has been at the #1 spot, he's not leading by a great amount, which isn't what you would expect as he has 27 million followers and when 1D only have 6 million followers on twitter so he should've easily defeated them. So that means that a lot more 1D fans have been voting and sharing the link on twitter in comparison to the beliebers.

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/2012/most-share-worthy-video/

that isn't all too surprising. biber hasnt even sold close to 27 million albums, how could there be 27 million people out there that follow him, especially with the hate he gets. gaga as well. her fans are crazy, but almost 30 million of them? there is no way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    that isn't all too surprising. biber hasnt even sold close to 27 million albums, how could there be 27 million people out there that follow him, especially with the hate he gets. gaga as well. her fans are crazy, but almost 30 million of them? there is no way.

Yeah I know it shouldn't be that surprising, but I really expected him to be a lot bigger than 1D. It's really shocking that in reality he has the same number of fans as 1D when he's been around longer :eek:

I couldn't agree with you more. Obviously most of those accounts are fake as neither Bieber of Gaga have sold anywhere near 27 or 30 million.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Figured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stally wrote: »
    Yeah I know it shouldn't be that surprising, but I really expected him to be a lot bigger than 1D. It's really shocking that in reality he has the same number of fans as 1D when he's been around longer :eek:

I think it isn't that they have more, it's that they have the exact same fan base. When the next thing comes along teenage girls tend to go with what's hot and new. Before Bieber fans were bieber fans, they were obsessed with the Jonas brothers. Now they have to split their love between Bieber, 1D, and Big Time Rush. 1D are the newest so they are bound to come out on top. It really has nothing to do with their music or videos. I don't like Justin Bieber, but the kid did well on his new album. The girls just aren't as interested because there is something new.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't know how accurate that site is, to be fair on those celebrities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know how accurate that site is, to be fair on those celebrities.

It's forbes. They are pretty legit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    From the site they're getting their info from:
    For those of you with 100,000 followers or less we believe our tool will provide a very accurate insight into how many inactive and fake followers you have.

If you're very, very 'popular' the tool will still provide good insight but may better reflect your current follower activity rather than your whole follower base.

Media doing their research, as per.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    They buy youtube views as well. It isn't very hard. A lot of new artists do it to get people interested because people are more likely to watch if it has more views.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do it on youtube as well