Is this series a classic?

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
I think it could well be. As people have said the last three years, particularly 2012 were perhaps not as memorable as the first 5 series, but I think this series has turned out to be gold! ;)

We've had many memorable candidates ie. Netball coach Jaz, jumpy Tim, make-up Uzma, Zee, tearful Natalie, Jason, boastful Neil, entertaining Alex, b*itchy Luisa.

Also, IMO, episodes 2, 3, 5, and 8 this year have all been very memorable and will go down in TA history! :D

What are people's thoughts?

I personally think this series is great entertainment (although I am so surprised at the rather low viewing figures). :)

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure. To be honest, I can't tell if a series is 'a classic' while I'm watching it. I have to think about it afterwards, and compare it to the other series and stuff.

It can't be determined on ratings, because it has to be judged on quality, and people will decide whether or not to watch it before they know whether it will be any good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its an improvement on Series 6-8
  • mimi123456mimi123456 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will all have forgotten all the contestants in a month, so not a classic for me.
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Actually I think it's turned into a caricature of itself, the applicants this year have almost all been totally underwhelming, with a couple of noticeable exceptions, apparently selected by their ability to provide entertaining television for the unwashed rather than any credibility in business. Luisa's 'electronics business' on eBay says it all.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    There is nobody likeable left.

Not really rooting for anyone now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    No. The producers this season seemed to think they were picking out candidates for BB rather than a business show. Luisa and Jason are clearly in it to get a TV career, possibly some of the others too. The candidates are exceptionally weak, so much so that guys like Neil and Myles, who would have been MOR in other seasons, look like standouts in this pack. The programme doesn't seem to be about business performance or sane decisions any longer, 5 mins of summing up and 'in the house' shots before they tell you what the task is, then you get about 30 mins of task action before it's boardroom, treat and stinky cafe time. I think for it to survive much longer it needs a good overhaul, and a better selection process.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No...but compared to last year, this year's series is so much better.
    Forum Member
    neutralned wrote: »
    No. The producers this season seemed to think they were picking out candidates for BB rather than a business show. Luisa and Jason are clearly in it to get a TV career, possibly some of the others too. The candidates are exceptionally weak, so much so that guys like Neil and Myles, who would have been MOR in other seasons, look like standouts in this pack. The programme doesn't seem to be about business performance or sane decisions any longer, 5 mins of summing up and 'in the house' shots before they tell you what the task is, then you get about 30 mins of task action before it's boardroom, treat and stinky cafe time. I think for it to survive much longer it needs a good overhaul, and a better selection process.

People say that they're looking for a TV career so it's just turned into Big Brother... but I'd just like to point out that very few Big Brother housemates have had successful TV careers. There are probably more Apprentice candidates who have had.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I think its an improvement on Series 6-8

Yes that's what I'm thinking too. The last time I enjoyed a series this much was series 5.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've thoroughly enjoyed this series so far. My favourite episodes have been the dating agency task from last week, the 'box on wheels' episode and the away day episode. Definetly an improvement on last year's series for me. However, I don't think it tops Series 5 for me which is my favourite series.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Same as all the others from what I can see
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    This is the first series where I've felt it may actually have passed a peak now. Like previous posters have stated there really doesn't appear to any stand-out contenders now. If anything there are reasons as a viewer I don't any of them should win. Not sure whether the series just needs a bit of an overhaul or if it is now just beginning to run out of steam.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been that keen on this years series tbh but thought last nights food episode was quite good.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    No, not by quite a distance.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    After last night's episode and watching many redemption arcs and storylines throughout the series, I can give no other answer to the title of the thread than ABSOLUTELY. :D The final looks smashing by the way. :cool:
  • skippy upwoodskippy upwood Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Classic series of BB? - definitely

Classic series of TA? - you must be kidding!
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.

While I cant say this is the worst series of TA that I have seen, I am struggling to think of one poorer and more slanted to contestants being on the prog for celebrity "exposure" than real business ideas.

But that said, the 2 in the final do have valid plans......
  • RussJRussJ Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I think it could well be. As people have said the last three years, particularly 2012 were perhaps not as memorable as the first 5 series, but I think this series has turned out to be gold! ;)

We've had many memorable candidates ie. Netball coach Jaz, jumpy Tim, make-up Uzma, Zee, tearful Natalie, Jason, boastful Neil, entertaining Alex, b*itchy Luisa.

Also, IMO, episodes 2, 3, 5, and 8 this year have all been very memorable and will go down in TA history! :D

What are people's thoughts?

I personally think this series is great entertainment (although I am so surprised at the rather low viewing figures). :)

I agree, one of the best ever!
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Agreed.

While I cant say this is the worst series of TA that I have seen, I am struggling to think of one poorer and more slanted to contestants being on the prog for celebrity "exposure" than real business ideas.

But that said, the 2 in the final do have valid plans......

But why, guys? :o

I've given reasons why I think it was good, don't you have reasons for not liking it?...
  • troynuncdicittroynuncdicit Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    No.

Actually I think it's turned into a caricature of itself, the applicants this year have almost all been totally underwhelming, with a couple of noticeable exceptions, apparently selected by their ability to provide entertaining television for the unwashed rather than any credibility in business. Luisa's 'electronics business' on eBay says it all.
    neutralned wrote: »

The show's always been a caricature of itself though? It's never been about competent candidates doing well because that's boring. It's always been about highlighting people's screw-ups and ineptitude. This isn't anything new, I don't know why people try this revisionist history that the show was a legitimate business show that the best of the best went on, That was never the case, it's always been about entertainment first and foremost.

Anyways, to answer the question it's been a great series and probably could be considered a classic. Almost every week was entertaining and funny and the candidates were mostly all good characters.
    Forum Member
    It's never been about competent candidates doing well because that's boring.

Why do you think it's boring? I have found some of the most interesting contestants to watch the ones that have been great on the tasks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show's always been a caricature of itself though? It's never been about competent candidates doing well because that's boring. It's always been about highlighting people's screw-ups and ineptitude. This isn't anything new, I don't know why people try this revisionist history that the show was a legitimate business show that the best of the best went on, That was never the case, it's always been about entertainment first and foremost.

Anyways, to answer the question it's been a great series and probably could be considered a classic. Almost every week was entertaining and funny and the candidates were mostly all good characters.

No, it has not always been like this, when they were looking for an apprentice, for a job, the women did not always look like they'd stepped out of Towie, and the men were not almost all over the top idiots. Most of them looked and behaved like they were credible 'apprentices', I've just rewatched series one, and it could almost be a totally different programme.

I think this series has been mildly entertaining, but nowhere near as good as any of the ones where there was a job at the end of it. I'm not going to bother watching the final, because I'm not interested in seeing either of the two finalists win, or indeed seeing the rest of the squad return to help them.
    Forum Member
    No, it has not always been like this, when they were looking for an apprentice, for a job, the women did not always look like they'd stepped out of Towie, and the men were not almost all over the top idiots. Most of them looked and behaved like they were credible 'apprentices', I've just rewatched series one, and it could almost be a totally different programme.

I don't think any of the women this year are from Essex... surely the whole point of TOWIE is that they're from Essex, so how can they look like they're from that? (Although I've never seen TOWIE, so...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any of the women this year are from Essex... surely the whole point of TOWIE is that they're from Essex, so how can they look like they're from that? (Although I've never seen TOWIE, so...)

That's quite easy. One can look like something without actually being one. You know, someone can be a genuine blue-eyed blonde and not be Scandinavian.

There is a stereotypical woman who is on Towie (I've seen photos, if not the actual series), and these women look just like those photos. It's the caked on makeup, bleached blonde hair, permatans, short tight skirts, and skyscraper heels I think.
    Forum Member
    That's quite easy. One can look like something without actually being one. You know, someone can be a genuine blue-eyed blonde and not be Scandinavian.

There is a stereotypical woman who is on Towie (I've seen photos, if not the actual series), and these women look just like those photos.

So you're saying that the problem is that they bear physical resemblances to people on TOWIE? Why is bearing a physical resemblance to someone else an issue? It doesn't make them the same person.