Channel 5 picks up Helix

Premieres in the States on SyFy on January 10. UK premiere on C5 follows in week commencing January 18. Exact date TBC.

Some more info on the show from the press release:
Helix
Pilot
(1/13)
Coming to Channel 5 is a brand new sci-fi thriller series about a group of medical research scientists who try to contain a virus that could spell the end for mankind.

A team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control travel to Arctic Biosystems, a high-tech research facility in the Arctic Circle, to investigate a possible disease outbreak. As Biosystems’ dangerous experiments come to light, they find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that could hold the key to mankind’s salvation or total annihilation. The lethal threat is just the tip of the iceberg, however, and as the virus evolves, the chilling truth begins to emerge…

The series has been developed under the guidance of Ronald D Moore, a renowned screenwriter and television producer known for his work on ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ and ‘Battlestar Galactica’.

In this opening episode, Dr Alan Farragut (Billy Campbell, ‘The Killing’, ‘The O.C.’) of the Centers for Disease Control and his team, which includes his ex-wife Dr Julia Walker (Kyra Zagorsky) and Dr Sarah Jordan (Jordan Hayes), arrive at the top secret Arctic Biosystemsbase.

Top pathologist Dr Alan Farragut is first and foremost a man of science, having dedicated his life to understanding and controlling infectious diseases. Closed off emotionally as a result of his wife’s infidelity, Farragut now faces emotions old and new as the virus threat begins to affect those around him, namely someone close…

His brilliant ex-wife Dr Julia Walker is a smart, independent cellular biologist whose momentary lapse in romantic judgement cost her dearly. Farragut’s new prodigy, virologist Dr Sarah Jordan, is professionally ambitious yet naive, and cannot help but feel threatened by Walker’s experience.

The ensemble is completed by the base’s charming yet mysterious mastermind Dr Hiroshi Hatake (Hiroyuki Sanada), military engineer Major Sergio Ballaseros (Mark Ghanimé), Hatake’s loyal retainer Daniel Aerov (Meegwun Fairbrother), pragmatic veterinary pathologist Dr Doreen Boyle (Catherine Lemieux) and Alan’s charismatic brother Dr Peter Farragut (Neil Napier).

Source: C5 Press.

Comments

• BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Once Upon A Time out, Helix in.

Ron Moore was involved. Good enough for me to give this a watch.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Once Upon A Time out, Helix in.

Ron Moore was involved. Good enough for me to give this a watch.
    And fast-tracked this time!! Makes sense since it's a cable show.

Sneak peek trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojbf0NmK0Eo
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would of thought the UK SYFY channel would of aired this
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this show. When does it air in the US?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,664
    Forum Member
    And when will C5 drop it? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just googled the show. So it's going to air on January 10 in the US. Not too long then :).
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be promising, though the worn-out old cliche of an emotionally distant scientist having his/her ex-partner on the team is cringingly unoriginal and is a bit of a warning sign about "soapiness", rather than scifi. The other characters sound like the usual bunch of cut-out "personalities", straight out of Soap Writing for Dummies, too (the guy's brother? sheesh!) Add on top that the team gets infected with the bug they're trying to stop, and it isn't a good sign.

Probably worth watching the first ep. - after that, we'll see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Syfy have been hyping this up for ages, before a pilot was even made. I can imagine they are wanting this to success, especially as they don't have many scripted dramas as much. Lost Girl and Continuum are not even their own shows, Warehouse 13 next year and many are speculating that Haven is going to be cancelled.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least with 13 episodes, it could get an end to end run i suppose. i suspect it'll be dropped at the end of season 2 though ;)
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Just googled the show. So it's going to air on January 10 in the US. Not too long then :).
    I told you that in the OP. :p

Anyway, looking forward to it.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    at least with 13 episodes, it could get an end to end run i suppose. i suspect it'll be dropped at the end of season 2 though ;)

It'll be cancelled before that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I told you that in the OP. :p

Anyway, looking forward to it.

Lol, oh yes, you did indeed. My bad, Dancc :D.

From the looks of the extended trailer below... it looks as if the show is about these zombie-esque creatures that are mutated by the virus. I was hoping to watch something a bit more cerebral with sci-i elements, rather than another zombie-style series. But hey ho, I will reserve judgement until the show airs.
    http://sciencefiction.com/2013/11/27/view-new-extended-trailer-syfys-creepy-new-series-helix/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Lol, oh yes, you did indeed. My bad, Dancc :D.

From the looks of the extended trailer below... it looks as if the show is about these zombie-esque creatures that are mutated by the virus. I was hoping to watch something a bit more cerebral with sci-i elements, rather than another zombie-style series. But hey ho, I will reserve judgement until the show airs.
    http://sciencefiction.com/2013/11/27/view-new-extended-trailer-syfys-creepy-new-series-helix/

I'll give it a try
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be treated any better than the walking dead was?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,413
    Forum Member
    There are only a few reviews out there but they do seem to think that the series is reasonable/has potential:

SyFy is stepping outside its comfort zone with the new original series HELIX, premiering this week. It is not a case-of-the-week procedural, nor is it campy, two hallmarks of most SyFy dramas. Instead, this is a serious thriller about CDC agents traveling to a base in the Artic where a mutation could either save the human race or doom it. Heavy, huh?
    http://www.seat42f.com/helix-review.html

Syfy's hottest new show in 2014 is the mysterious Arctic thriller Helix. And now we've seen the first episode, and we can honestly say this series could very well be the next Lost (before it went downhill). Here's our spoiler-free review of the pilot.
    http://io9.com/first-impressions-helix-is-syfys-best-new-show-in-yea-1480372505
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I think it looks good.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't syfy uk show this instead of 5?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Why didn't syfy uk show this instead of 5?

Just because a show is commissioned by the Syfy channel in the US doesn't mean the UK Syfy doesn't have to bid for it. If one of the bigger UK channels wants an American Syfy show, UK Syfy doesn't have much of a chance of beating the bigger, wealthier channel's bid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh damn another serialized syfy thriller. I miss the days of standalone monster of the week type episodes. I will still give it a go though.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are only a few reviews out there but they do seem to think that the series is reasonable/has potential:

Syfy's hottest new show in 2014 is the mysterious Arctic thriller Helix. And now we've seen the first episode, and we can honestly say this series could very well be the next Lost (before it went downhill). Here's our spoiler-free review of the pilot.
    http://io9.com/first-impressions-helix-is-syfys-best-new-show-in-yea-1480372505

Well now I've seen the first episode I can honestly say "I want some of the drugs that reviewer was smoking"

The only comparison to Lost I'd make is it will annoy a lot of people.

It's the kind of show where you stick with it just because you're rooting for the virus
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Well now I've seen the first episode I can honestly say "I want some of the drugs that reviewer was smoking"

The only comparison to Lost I'd make is it will annoy a lot of people.

It's the kind of show where you stick with it just because you're rooting for the virus
    When the lead character is teamed up with their ex to produce unnecessary drama you know it's all likely to turn out bad. Outbreak excepted of course!!
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »

I swear every character in this show is "too stupid to live".

Its like the writers spent all their time reading the Idiot Ball tvtropes page instead of writing.
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one of those ideas that could have been very good...but........
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:Another one of those ideas that could have been very good...but........