Options

London is worlds most popular city.

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    It has a variety of different things to offer, with several attractions and offerings. Having said that, most popular? I doubt it is.

The City is overrated compared to other Capital Cities around the world. The reason I reckon it is most popular is because of the fact many people around the world are aware of the City, and is well known. Basically saying, London is England, and England is London (well, in foreigners eyes anyway).

I don't think it is a place I'd want to visit if I lived abroad.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wont somebody think about the theatres and museums?
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murraymar wrote: »
    It's my favourite city for a weekend break

It's my favourite city full stop.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    talk to the hook coz the wheel ain't listenin'

I don't know whether it really happened but it certainly should have.

Abu Hamza is showing a class from the local primary school around the local mosque as part of a cultural awareness project. He is an engaging speaker and the kids seem fascinated by him. At the end of the tour, he asks the kids if they have any questions about what they've seen or what he's told them about Islam. A forest of hands shoots up.

Abu Hamza: 'Not about the hook'

Half the hands go down.

'Or the eye patch'.

The rest of the hands go down.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many prettier cities

There are even some more historic cities

But for sheer variety London is hard to beat
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Suhail wrote: »
    I don't think it is a place I'd want to visit if I lived abroad.

I know many people from other countries and they all love visiting London.

I've lived here all my life and love the buzz and excitement, which you don't get anywhere else except somewhere like New York. I had to work outside of London for a few years once and hated the small town life - couldn't wait to get back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    I know many people from other countries and they all love visiting London.

I've lived here all my life and love the buzz and excitement, which you don't get anywhere else except somewhere like New York. I had to work outside of London for a few years once and hated the small town life - couldn't wait to get back.
    I see. But would they want to visit again?

As I said previously, London is very well known, which is a reason why people living around the world would want to visit. The City is easy to get bored of.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that very easily to believe.

English people may not understand the allure of London, but foreigners do. I'm a foreigner and I absolutely love it.

As I said previously, London is very well known, which is a reason why people living around the world would want to visit. The City is easy to get bored of.

I completely disagree with you. Do you mean The City as in The Financial City? Or the entire city of London?

I do not at all think that the entire city is easy to get bored of, nor do I think one visit is enough to see it.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member

London wouldn't be the world's most popular city for tourists if there weren't lots of repeat visitors.

Why is London easy to get bored off? One of the great things about London is that its not just the centre which is interesting, unlike many other cities where the suburbs are mainly endless featureless blocks of flats. Whereas in London some of the suburbs are great places to visit in their own right, eg Hampstead,
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I love Paris I neither like or dislike London
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The offerings of London are vast, as I said at first in my original post, however, you have to compare London to other Cities to see the real difference. London is massive, huge attractions and loads you can do, but the novelty wears off after a few visits. I might share this view since I've been plenty of times.

I didn't really mean the entire City, just the London that we know of. Plus, there are only certain areas of London that are worth visiting.

Dunno, just an opinion. London is not boring, but it is not new.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    had a few days there last month. Everyone I met was so polite & helpful which I was not expecting, just loved it. Stayed near Paddington in Sussex Gardens which was lovely and just down the road from Hyde Park which was beautiful. Lovely Italian café (Mimo's) in London St which opened early for breakfast and was fantasic. Buses efficient, streets clean, toilets clean. So not like where I live in Cornwall, Food and drink were cheaper too which really surprised me. Love being in Cornwall but will def come back to London.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London is like the Adele of cities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Central London is nice such as Canary Wharf and that type of area, but places like Luton, Watford, Hackney etc; are just the same as everywhere else. I have only ever been to central London and spent most of my time in the Canary Wharf area, it's very nice and no where else in the UK is like it, i'd love to live there.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Central London is nice such as Canary Wharf and that type of area, but places like Luton, Watford, Hackney etc; are just the same as everywhere else. I have only ever been to central London and spent most of my time in the Canary Wharf area, it's very nice and no where else in the UK is like it, i'd love to live there.

Canary wharf is in East London, Luton is in Bedfordshire and Watford is in Hertfordshire
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canary wharf is in East London, Luton is in Bedfordshire and Watford is in Hertfordshire

Never did do well at Geography :D
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    London is great for repeat visits, once the big obvious attractions have been ticked off the list there are still hundreds of other little places to see that are beautiful or steeped in history or just full of their own distinctive character and that's before you even factor in the variety of events on offer as well. The only other two places that have as much to offer are imo New York & Rome.

People who try to write it off as dull or shitty or overrated just show their ignorance. It might not be to everyone's taste, fair enough, it can certainly be overwhelming if you don't know it, but that's big cities for you.

As capitals go, London is certainly right up there with the best and tbh I don't really understand why that isn't something we can all celebrate, it is the capital city of everyone in this country after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    London is great for repeat visits, once the big obvious attractions have been ticked off the list there are still hundreds of other little places to see that are beautiful or steeped in history or just full of their own distinctive character and that's before you even factor in the variety of events on offer as well. The only other two places that have as much to offer are imo New York & Rome.

People who try to write it off as dull or shitty or overrated just show their ignorance. It might not be to everyone's taste, fair enough, it can certainly be overwhelming if you don't know it, but that's big cities for you.

As capitals go, London is certainly right up there with the best and tbh I don't really understand why that isn't something we can all celebrate, it is the capital city of everyone in this country after all.

The bit in bold; i was like this until i visited Canary Wharf, and then it opened my eyes as to why so many people live or work in that area in particular.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    The City is easy to get bored of.

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life"
    Samuel Johnson.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    The bit in bold; i was like this until i visited Canary Wharf, and then it opened my eyes as to why so many people live or work in that area in particular.

Yeah I really do think it has something for everyone, you just need to find the bit for you :-)