People who go straight online with MW2 after getting it

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was astonished to find that many of the people I know went straight onto multiplayer with MW2 as soon as it arrived at their doorstep.

I don't understand this at all. True, COD4 and MW2 have sublime online play, but any game's soul and personality is found in the single-player/story mode. That's how I started with MW2. I got a proper feel for the game, absorbed the differences, and over time I got immersed with the story and became shocked and enthralled by some of the missions.

I'm an avid gamer, I like COD and I hate the video game blame culture as much as the next person, but I am beginning to worry about the sort of gamers that this franchise is attracting - people who just want to log onto a soulless, hostile environment and kill other people on new maps with new guns and perks.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Comments

• Devil_NightsDevil_Nights Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Nope,you are not alone,i too prefer to do the single player before venturing online.I know quite a few of my friends who couldnt wait to go online (and still haven't touched the campaign!),i cant understand it either.
  • Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to do a bit of Campaign mode first to get a feel for the controls/environment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    On COD4 i went right into Multiplayer Hardcore from the begining, didnt touch the singleplayer at all for 6 months. Finally tried it and was very impressed.

So for Modern Warfare 2 i did the Single Player first, then jumped into Multiplayer.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    MW I did SP campaign before venturing online.

MW2 however I did MP first as I already knew the basic controls.

Still, started the SP campaign on day 2 of having the game though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't speak from experience about the PSN, but I suppose alot of people can do the SP mode when XBL is offline for maintenance for a day at a time.. you know how teenangers need their COD fix every day after school :):p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I played COD4 single player and didn't touch the MP for a good few months. Wish I hadn't done that!

Although for COD6 I am going through the SP first as well. Then might go through Spec Ops with a mate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I didn't play the offline COD4 game until after I bought it. When you have a bunch of friends who play online together, it's great fun.

Playing with random's just doesn't do it for me. You either getting whooped as they have all the best weapons and know the maps inside out or you just get abuse from an american teenager who wants to do nasty things to my mum.

At least with friends, you can balance out the teams and communicate with each other via the bluetooth headset which is nigh on impossible with randoms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    I always play the campaign through first (usually on normal difficulty) to get any achievements i can.
    I'll then move onto online and play that until the novelty of it being new wears off.
    Then i start the campaign again and work my way through it on veteran but i'll switch between that and online when veteran frustrations get too much.

I find online play to be a bit boring after a couple games unless i'm playing with friends who i can talk to and have a bit of a laugh with. I'm a girl so any time i open my mouth to anybody who isn't a friend i get bombarded with friend requests and questions about what i'm wearing. Sitting there playing game after game in silence isn't fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went straight online. Why? Because I wanted to it was my choice. It doesn't affect anyone else so it's no ones business why I did it.
    Forum Member
    kellan_x wrote: »
    I'm a girl so any time i open my mouth to anybody who isn't a friend i get bombarded with friend requests and questions about what i'm wearing. Sitting there playing game after game in silence isn't fun.

Voice Masking

Can't check this as I'm at work, but does this help?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was astonished to find that many of the people I know went straight onto multiplayer with MW2 as soon as it arrived at their doorstep.

I don't understand this at all. True, COD4 and MW2 have sublime online play, but any game's soul and personality is found in the single-player/story mode. That's how I started with MW2. I got a proper feel for the game, absorbed the differences, and over time I got immersed with the story and became shocked and enthralled by some of the missions.

I'm an avid gamer, I like COD and I hate the video game blame culture as much as the next person, but I am beginning to worry about the sort of gamers that this franchise is attracting - people who just want to log onto a soulless, hostile environment and kill other people on new maps with new guns and perks.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I think you will find that you are in the minority,as the majority of people have bought this game for the online play.The single player is more like a nice add on.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I know someone who went straight online on Uncharted 2 without playing the campaign. I was gobsmacked and appaulled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe future cod games should go online only?

It's half way there now by the way things are going, it would allow the devs to put all there efforts into the multiplayer/maps etc to make the ultimate online game?

It would also mean no half hearted SP campaign that SP players only may not be happy with.
    Forum Member
    Can you imagine the furore if they'd done it so that MP was only unlockable upon completion of the SP campaign, in the way that W@W's 'zombie' mode was.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Can you imagine the furore if they'd done it so that MP was only unlockable upon completion of the SP campaign, in the way that W@W's 'zombie' mode was.....

Yeah but not as much of a furore as when there servers went down due to demand!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    zpos wrote: »
    I didn't play the offline COD4 game until after I bought it.

This is very unusual; I know I can often be found playing a game before I've actually bought it:p.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    There are people out there who play COD4 online all the time that haven't touched the single player. Go figure.
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I jumped straight online as soon as I got it. Played a bit of single player when the wife is on the pc as when she's online it starts to make CoD jumpy so I keepthe offline play for times like that & suits me fine
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmercuryj wrote: »
    I can't speak from experience about the PSN, but I suppose alot of people can do the SP mode when XBL is offline for maintenance for a day at a time.. you know how teenangers need their COD fix every day after school :):p

That. Is a very good point.
    Forum Member
    I jumped straight online as soon as I got it. Played a bit of single player when the wife is on the pc as when she's online it starts to make CoD jumpy so I keepthe offline play for times like that & suits me fine

Interesting. On the first day of release, for the first 8 hours or so I was playing online fine with no lag whatsoever, and it was only much later that I realised that that was with 'another P2P' program running as well.

Of course later that day, as more people started getting on it I ended up having to switch the other one off.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went straight online as well, i couldn't give a monkey toss about the single player mode.
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday was the best day, no lag at all! The oher days have been fine, just a little bit but nothing severe. It's just that my broadband is rubbish & if my wife is on YouTube, bebo, iplayer etc, it effects my CoD connection & I start redbarring. Whe. That happens, I play offline
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    There are people out there who play COD4 online all the time that haven't touched the single player. Go figure.

Indeed.
    Whenever you come across CoD4 players that are on the highest prestige levels and you check their achievements you usually find virtually zero points achieved foe the game.

They spend their entire time just playing online.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Some people just like the online portion of the game, nothing wrong with that is there? :confused:
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, slightly confused as to why some of you don't understand why people would try multiplayer first? COD4 multiplayer was immense so for me it was the thing I was most excited on trying first when I loaded it up for the first time. Wanted to get a look at what new challenges/perks there were.

Then after that spent most of my time doing the campaign. Only intended to have a short blast on that too but it got me hooked after the second level.